This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Supervisory Controller for a Light Duty Diesel Engine with an LNT-SCR After-Treatment System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Look ahead information can be used to improve the powertrain’s fuel consumption while efficiently controlling exhaust emissions. A passenger car propelled by a Euro 6d capable diesel engine is studied.
In the conventional approach, the diesel powertrain subsystem control is rule based. It uses no information of future load requests but is operated with the objective of low engine out exhaust emission species until the Exhaust After-Treatment System (EATS) light off has occurred, even if fuel economy is compromised greatly. Upon EATS light off, the engine is operated more fuel efficiently since the EATS system is able to treat emissions effectively.
This paper presents a supervisory control structure with the intended purpose to operate the complete powertrain using a minimum of fuel while improving the robustness of exhaust emissions. A supervisory controller assisted by look ahead information, and using a supervisory control interface that works in concert with low level local controllers, can make subsystems operate near optimal. The look ahead parametrized supervisory control calculates the set-points for the subsystems: Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), Lean NOx Trap (LNT) and the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) based on the Emission Equivalent Fuel Consumption minimization strategy (EEFC). The controller performance is analyzed for the World wide harmonized Light vehicles Test Cycle (WLTC) and randomly sequenced WLTCs under different initial conditions. This paper extends upon the earlier work where an LNT-SCR EATS supervisory control structure was proposed that optimizes based on the EEFC strategy. The future work will focus on extending the approach to more subsystems and characterizing the look ahead information.
CitationVelmurugan, D., McKelvey, T., and Lundberg, D., "Supervisory Controller for a Light Duty Diesel Engine with an LNT-SCR After-Treatment System," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1767, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1767.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- European Commission 2016
- Johnson , T. and Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0907 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0907
- Chilumukuru , K. , Gupta , A. , Ruth , M. , Cunningham , M. et al. Aftertreatment Architecture and Control Methodologies for Future Light Duty Diesel Emission Regulations SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0911
- Kaas , H.W. et al. 2016
- Habeck , A. et al. 2014
- Viereckl , R. , Ahlemann , D. , Koster , A. , Hirsh , E , et al.
- Qiao , Z. and Karabasoglu , O.
- Larsson , V. , Mårdh , L.J. , Egardt , B. , and Karlsson , S. Commuter Route Optimized Energy Management of Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 15 3 1145 1154 2014
- Velmurugan , D. , McKelvey , T. , and Lundberg , D. Supervisory Controller for a LNT-SCR Diesel Exhaust After-Treatment System European Control Conference 2018
- Donkers , M.C.F. Optimal Control for Integrated Emission Management in Diesel Engines Control Engineering Practice 61 206 216 2017 10.1016/j.conengprac.2016.03.006
- Feru , E. , Murgovski , N. , Jager , B. , and Willems , F. Supervisory Control of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine with an Electrified Waste Heat Recovery System Control Engineering Practice 54 190 201 2016 10.1016/j.conengprac.2016.06.001
- Chen , P. and Wang , J. Integrated Diesel Engine and Selective Catalytic Reduction System Active NOx Control for Fuel Economy Improvement 2013 American Control Conference Washington, DC 2013 2196 2201 10.1109/ACC.2013.6580161
- Ma , Y. and Wang , J. Integrated Power Management and Aftertreatment System Control for Hybrid Electric Vehicles with Road Grade Preview IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 66 12 10935 10945 2017 10.1109/TVT.2017.2763587
- Nuesch , T. , Cerofolini , A. , Mancini , G. , Cavina , N. et al. Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy for the Control of Real Driving NOx Emissions of a Diesel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energies 7 3148 3178 2014 10.3390/en7053148
- Westerlund , C. , Westerberg , B. , Odenbrand , I. , and Egnell , R. Model Predictive Control of a Combined EGR/SCR HD Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1175 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1175
- Möller , N. , Fleiss , M. , Rengmyr , S. , and Somhorst J. VEA the New Engine Architecture from Volvo Liebl , J. Internationaler Motorenkongress 2014 Proceedings Springer Vieweg Wiesbaden 2014
- Mollenhauer , K. and Tschoeke , H. Handbook of Diesel Engines Springer 978-3-540-89082-9
- Epling , W.S. , Campbell , L.E. , Yezerets , A. , Currier , N.W. et al. Overview of the Fundamental Reactions and Degradation Mechanisms of NOx Storage/Reduction Catalysts Catalysis Reviews 46 2 163 245 10.1081/CR-200031932
- Maurer , M. , Holler , P. , Zarl , S. , Fortner , T. et al. Investigations of Lean NOx Trap (LNT) Regeneration Strategies for Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0124 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0124
- Karimshoushtari , M. , Novara , C. , and Trotta , A. Data Driven Model Predictive Control for Lean NOx Trap Regeneration 20th IFAC World Congress 50 1 6004 6009 2017 10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.1436
- Jaaskelainen , H. and Majewski , W.A. Urea Dosing Control https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/cat_scr_mobile_control.php 2016
- Brandenberger , S. , Krocher , O. , Tissler , A. , and Althoff , R. The State of the Art in Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx by Ammonia Using Metal Exchanged Zeolite Catalysts Catalysis Reviews 50 4 492 531 10.1080/01614940802480122
- Velmurugan , D. , McKelvey , T. , and Grahn , M. Diesel Engine Emission Model Transient Cycle Validation 8th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control 2016 49 11 1 7 2016 10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.08.001
- Junghanns , A. Virtual Integration of Automotive Hard- and Software with Silver http://www.qtronic.com/doc/SilverIntro.pdf