This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modified Car Following and Lane Changing Simulations Model for Autonomous Vehicle on Highway
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 07, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Being one of the most simple and basic driving scenarios, highway scenario can be one of the first scenarios to achieve autonomous driving. Both car following (CF) and lane changing (LC) are the most basic and frequent maneuver during highway driving tasks, and therefore become two key issues to focus on in recent researches about autonomous vehicle (AV). Different from conventional CF and LC researches that attach much importance to the character, psychology, perception ability, and driving experience of human drivers, more timely and accurate reactions based on fast perception and communication technology as well as the automatic actuator are hypotheses for this research. Moreover, based on these hypotheses, a modified intelligent driver model (MIDM) is proposed for AVs’ following behavior to alleviate the fluctuations caused by lane changing behaviors. As for lane change, decision rules based on signals from environment perception system instrumented in the subject vehicle are designed for the purpose of improving the traffic efficiency. Then, for validation, simulation environment of autonomous driving scenario on highway is established in MATLAB. In addition, simulations of the proposed models are finally carried out for comparisons with the conventional CF and LC models in terms of flowrate, time-space distribution, velocity, and acceleration of vehicles. The comparison results show that the models proposed in this article are more capable of achieving homogeneity of vehicle flow as well as reducing the fluctuations of transportation system, and the most important, improving the traffic efficiency. It is obvious that all these advantages are good for both single AV driving and the whole traffic system. This research can serve as a reference for both fully autonomous vehicle and intelligent transportation system (ITS) researches.
CitationWang, Y., Chen, G., and Liu, Z., "Modified Car Following and Lane Changing Simulations Model for Autonomous Vehicle on Highway," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1647, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1647.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Rosas-Jaimes , O.A. , Quezada-Téllez , L.A. , and Fernández-Anaya , G. Control Design for Car-Following Helly’s Model Congreso Nacional De Control Automático Amca 2015
- Zheng , Z. Recent Developments and Research Needs in Modeling Lane Changing Transportation Research Part B Methodological 60 1 16 32 2014
- Knospe , W. , Santen , L. , Schadschneider , A. et al. A Realistic two-Lane Traffic Model for Highway Traffic Journal of Physics A General Physics 35 15 3369 3388 2002
- Lv , W. , Song , W.G. , and Fang , Z.M. Three-Lane Changing Behaviour Simulation Using a Modified Optimal Velocity Model Physica A Statistical Mechanics & Its Applications 390 12 2303 2314 2011
- Balal , E. , Cheu , R.L. , and Sarkodie-Gyan , T. A Binary Decision Model for Discretionary Lane Changing Move Based on Fuzzy Inference System Transportation Research Part C Emerging Technologies 67 47 61 2016
- Ahmed , K.I. , Ben-Akiva , M. , Koutsopoulos , H.N. et al. Models of Freeway Lane Changing and Gap Acceptance Behavior Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic Theory Lyon, France July 24-26 1996
- Nie , J. , Zhang , J. , Ding , W. et al. Decentralized Cooperative Lane-Changing Decision-Making for Connected Autonomous Vehicles IEEE Access 4 99 9413 9420 2017
- Treiber M , Hennecke A , Helbing D Congested Traffic States in Empirical Observations and Microscopic Simulations Physical Review E Statistical Physics Plasmas Fluids & Related Interdisciplinary Topics 2000 62 2 1805
- Li , X. , Sun , J.Q. , Dawson , K.A. et al. Studies of Vehicle Lane-Changing Dynamics and its Effect on Traffic Efficiency, Safety and Environmental Impact Physica A Statistical Mechanics & Its Applications 467 41 58 2017
- Kesting , A. , Treiber , M. , and Helbing , D. Enhanced Intelligent Driver Model to Access the Impact of Driving Strategies on Traffic Capacity Philosophical Transactions Mathematical Physical & Engineering Sciences 368 1928 4585 4605 2010