This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lateral Control Method of Intelligent Vehicles Based on Image Segmentation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 07, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the rapid development of automotive industry, the intelligent vehicles that can be viewed as the integrated carrier of advanced technology of automobile are paid much attention by society. It is imperative to study the motion control of the intelligent vehicles due to the nature of their nonholonomic operation constraint system whose dynamic characteristics are highly nonlinear with the uncertainty of parameters. In this paper, utilizing the vision system of intelligent vehicles, a vehicle lateral control strategy based on image segmentation is established to enhance the vehicle’s capability to predict future behavior and deal with unexpected situations. Applying the image recognition and tracking results of the visual system, the breadth and depth of the vision are divided into three-dimensional segmentation where each block is given different weights. When the vehicle’s current trajectory meets obstacles, according to the location of obstacles in the visual image, the vehicle will be reprogrammed utilizing the arcing pattern of the optimal strategy in order to bypass the obstacles and continue to follow the desired trajectory under the macro path. Meanwhile, to ensure the stable operation of vehicles and prevent the possible vehicle sliding and roll-over caused by a sudden involvement of the lateral acceleration, a model predictive control method (MPC) for vehicle lateral dynamic system under the dynamic constraints is proposed. The simulation analysis is conducted to validate the effectiveness of the control strategy and the proposed model predictive controller under different vehicle operating conditions.
CitationHongxing, L., Guangdi, H., Du, Y., and Qi, Z., "Lateral Control Method of Intelligent Vehicles Based on Image Segmentation," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1596, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1596.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Soloiu , V. , Augusma , I. , Lucien , D. , Thomas , M. et al. Self-Driving Intelligent Vehicle to Increase Road Safety, Lower Congestion Rates and Decrease Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0161 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0161
- E. Galceran , R. M. Eustice and E. Olson Toward Integrated Motion Planning and Control Using Potential Fields and Torque-Based Steering Actuation for Autonomous Driving 2015 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) Seoul 2015 304 309
- J. Hilgert , K. Hirsch , T. Bertram and M. Hiller Emergency Path Planning for Autonomous Vehicles Using Elastic Band Theory Proceedings 2003 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM 2003) 2003 1390 1395 2
- Wu , L. , Zha , H. , Xiu , C. , and He , Q. Local Path Planning for Intelligent Vehicle Obstacle Avoidance Based on Dubins Curve and Tentacle Algorithm SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1951 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1951
- Lima , P.F. , Nilsson , M. , Trincavelli , M. , Mårtensson , J. , and Wahlberg , B. Spatial Model Predictive Control for Smooth and Accurate Steering of an Autonomous Truck IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 2 4 238 250 Dec. 2017
- Wang , Y. , Feng , R. , Pan , D. , Liu , Z. et al. The Trajectory Planning of the Lane Change Assist Based on the Model Predictive Control with Multi-Objective SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2004 2017 10.4271/2017-01-2004
- Falcone , P. Nonlinear Model Predictive Control for Autonomous Vehicle Benevento Universitadel Sannio 2007
- Doi , A. , Butsuen , T. , Niibe , T. et al. Development of a Rear-End Collision Avoidance System with Automatic Brake Control JSAE Review 15 335 340 1994
- Yu , H. , Gong , J. , Iagnemma , K. , Jiang , Y. , and Robotic , D.J. Wheeled Vehicle Ripple Tentacles Motion Planning Method [C] IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 6 1156 1161 2012
- Ming , T. , Deng , W. , Zhang , S. , and Zhu , B. MPC-Based Trajectory Tracking Control for Intelligent Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0452 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0452