This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Direct Yaw Moment Control System for Autonomous Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 07, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Although autonomous driving technology has become an emerging research focus, safety is still the most crucial concern when autonomous vehicles leave research laboratory and enter public traffic. Direct yaw moment control (DYC), which differentially brakes the wheels to produce a yaw moment, is an important system to ensure the driving stability of vehicle under extreme conditions. Traditional DYC system must need to take into account driver’s intention and vehicle dynamics. However, for autonomous vehicle, no human is involved in driving process, and enforcing traditional DYC system may conflict with the demands of the desired path. Therefore, in this paper, a novel DYC system for autonomous vehicle is proposed to simultaneously suppress lateral path tracking deviation while maintaining autonomous vehicle stability at or close to the driving limits. In the hardware aspect, an integrated-electro-hydraulic brake (IEHB) actuator scheme is adopted. In the software aspect, a hierarchical control scheme is designed. In the yaw moment control layer, a robust H∞ control strategy based on kinematics and dynamics of vehicle system is developed through linear matrix inequality (LMI). In the braking torque allocation layer, selection logic of the controlled wheel is designed, and desired braking control torque at the wheel is obtained. In the executive layer, the control scheme of IEHB actuator is developed to guarantee that the suitable ground braking force is generated. Finally, Matlab/Simulink-AMESim co-simulation test is carried out on a 7-DOF nonlinear vehicle model with the IEHB actuator for a double lane change maneuver. The results show that the proposed DYC system can effectively maintain autonomous vehicle stability while suppressing lateral path tracking error in dynamic driving situations at handling limits.
CitationHe, X., Yang, K., Liu, Y., and Ji, X., "A Novel Direct Yaw Moment Control System for Autonomous Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1594, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1594.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Cesari, G., Schildbach, G., Carvalho, A., and Borrelli, F., “Scenario Model Predictive Control for Lane Change Assistance and Autonomous Driving on Highways,” IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine 9(3):23-35, 2017.
- Ji, X., He, X. et al., “A Vehicle Stability Control Strategy with Adaptive Neural Network Sliding Mode Theory Based on System Uncertainty Approximation,” Vehicle System Dynamics1-24, 2017.
- Wu, J., Wang, X., Li, L., and Du, Y., “Hierarchical Control Strategy with Battery Aging Consideration for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Regenerative Braking Control,” Energy 145:301-312, 2017.
- Wu, J., Cheng, S., Liu, B., and Liu, C., “A Human-Machine-Cooperative-Driving Controller Based on AFS and DYC for Vehicle Dynamic Stability,” Energies 10(11):1737, 2017.
- World Health Organization, “Global Status Report on Road Safety 2015,” 2015.
- Thomas, P. et al., “Identifying the Causes of Road Crashes in Europe,” Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine 57:13-22, 2013.
- He, X., Ji, X. et al., “Autonomous Emergency Braking Control Based on Hierarchical Strategy Using Integrated-Electro-Hydraulic Brake System,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1964, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1964.
- Broggi, A., Medici, P., Zani, P., Coati, A., and Panciroli, M., “Autonomous Vehicles Control in the VisLab Intercontinental Autonomous Challenge,” Annual Reviews in Control 36(1):161-171, 2012.
- Li, L., Jia, G., Chen, J., Zhu, H. et al., “A Novel Vehicle Dynamics Stability Control Algorithm Based on the Hierarchical Strategy with Constrain of Nonlinear Tyre Forces,” Vehicle System Dynamics 53(8):1093-1116, 2015.
- Yi, K., Chung, T., Kim, J., and Yi, S., “An Investigation into Differential Braking Strategies for Vehicle Stability Control,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 217(12):1081-1093, 2003.
- Barbarisi, O., Palmieri, G., Scala, S., and Glielmo, L., “LTV-MPC for Yaw Rate Control and Side Slip Control with Dynamically Constrained Differential Braking,” European Journal of Control 15(3-4):468-479, 2009.
- Zong, C., Zhu, T., Wang, C., and Liu, H., “Multi-Objective Stability Control Algorithm of Heavy Tractor Semi-Trailer Based on Differential Braking,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 25(1):88-97, 2012.
- Tchamna, R. and Youn, I., “Yaw Rate and Side-Slip Control Considering Vehicle Longitudinal Dynamics,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 14(1):53-60, 2013.
- Li, L., Lu, Y., Wang, R., and Chen, J., “A Three-Dimensional Dynamics Control Framework of Vehicle Lateral Stability and Rollover Prevention Via Active Braking with MPC,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 64(4):3389-3401, 2017.
- He, X., Yang, K., Ji, X., Liu, Y., and Deng, W., “Research on Vehicle Stability Control Strategy Based on Integrated-Electro-Hydraulic Brake System,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1565, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1565.
- Kritayakirana, K. and Gerdes, J.C., “Using the Centre of Percussion to Design a Steering Controller for an Autonomous Race Car,” Vehicle System Dynamics 50(1):33-51, 2012.
- Guo, J., Luo, Y., Li, K., and Dai, Y., “Coordinated Path-Following and Direct Yaw-Moment Control of Autonomous Electric Vehicles with Sideslip Angle Estimation,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 105:183-199, 2018.
- Ni, J. and Hu, J., “Dynamics Control of Autonomous Vehicle at Driving Limits and Experiment on an Autonomous Formula Racing Car,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 90:154-174, 2017.
- Guo, H., Liu, J., Cao, D., Chen, H. et al., “Dual-Envelop-Oriented Moving Horizon Path Tracking Control for Fully Automated Vehicles,” Mechatronics 000:1-12, 2017.
- Cui, Q., Ding, R., Zhou, B., and Wu, X., “Path-Tracking of an Autonomous Vehicle via Model Predictive Control and Nonlinear Filtering,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 0954407017728199:1-16, 2017.
- Funke, J., Brown, M., Erlien, S.M., and Gerdes, J.C., “Collision Avoidance and Stabilization for Autonomous Vehicles in Emergency Scenarios,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 25(4):1204-1216, 2017.
- Pacejka, H.B. and Bakker, E., “The Magic Formula Tyre Model,” Vehicle System Dynamics 21(S1):1-18, 1992.
- Ji, X., He, X., Lv, C., Liu, Y., and Wu, J., “Adaptive-Neural-Network-Based Robust Lateral Motion Control for Autonomous Vehicle at Driving Limits,” Control Engineering Practice 76:41-53, 2018.
- Gu, D.W., Petkov, P.H., and Konstantinov, M.M., Robust Control Design with MATLAB® (Springer Science & Business Media, 2014).