This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations on the Influence of Fuel Oil Film Interaction on Pre-ignition Events in Highly Boosted DI Gasoline Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Premature and uncontrolled flame initiation, called pre-ignition (PI), is a prominent issue in the development of spark-ignited engines. It is commonly assumed that this abnormal combustion mode hinders progress in engine downsizing, thus inhibiting development of more efficient engines. The phenomenon is primarily observed in highly turbocharged spark ignited (SI) engines in the full load regime at low engine speeds. Subsequent engine knock induces extremely high peak pressures, potentially causing severe engine damage.
The mechanisms leading to this phenomenon are not completely understood; however, it is quite plausible that a multiphase process is responsible for the pre-ignition. One effect could be the interaction between injected fuel drops and the oil film on the cylinder liner. Under certain conditions, droplets of oil or oil/fuel mixture can detach or splash from the film, leading to pre-ignition at the droplet surface towards the end of the compression phase.
To gain further understanding of the possible mechanisms leading to pre-ignition events it is important to know under which conditions splash effects on the film can cause droplet detachment. In this paper pre-ignition events in a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder production engine are analyzed regarding the different operating conditions of their occurrence. Parameters effecting splash conditions are injection timing and pressure (fuel impingement on liner), liner temperature, boiling curves of the fuel and lubricating oil viscosity. Conditions leading to increased pre-ignition rates are compared to a generic drop/wall film interaction experiment to evaluate whether splash events are a likely cause or not. The impact of a single drop onto a wetted wall using different liquids is investigated. A large parameter range is obtained by varying drop diameter, impact velocity, film thickness and fluid combinations of drop and wall film. Finally, a dimensionless number K * is defined in order to describe the splashing threshold. Typical K * numbers for various operating conditions of the engine are then computed and compared with results from generic drop impact experiments.
|Journal Article||A Computational Study of Abnormal Combustion Characteristics in Spark Ignition Engines|
|Journal Article||Pre-Ignition of Gasoline-Air Mixture Triggered by a Lubricant Oil Droplet|
- Heiko Kubach - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Alex Weidenlener - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Juergen Pfeil - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Thomas Koch - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Hannah Kittel - Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Ilia V. Roisman - Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Cameron Tropea - Technische Universität Darmstadt
CitationKubach, H., Weidenlener, A., Pfeil, J., Koch, T. et al., "Investigations on the Influence of Fuel Oil Film Interaction on Pre-ignition Events in Highly Boosted DI Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1454, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1454.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Cossali , G.E. , Coghe , A. , and Marengo , M. The Impact of a Single Drop on a Wetted Solid Surface Experiments in Fluids 22 6 463 472 1997 10.1007/s003480050073
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Dingle , S.F. , Cairns , A. , Zhao , H. , Williams , J. et al. Lubricant Induced Pre-Ignition in an Optical SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1222 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1222
- Döhler A. , Pritze S 41 61 Berlin 2013.
- Fujimoto , K. , Yamashita , M. , Hirano , S. , Kato , K. et al. Engine Oil Development for Preventing Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 869 874 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2785
- Gohl , M. , Brandt , S. , Wittler , M. , Budde , M. et al. Influence of the Mixture Formation on the Lubrication Oil Emission of Combustion Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 733 744 2010 10.4271/2010- 01-1275
- Gupta , A. , Seeley , R. , Shao , H. , Remias , J. et al. Impact of Particle Characteristics and Engine Conditions on Deposit-Induced Pre-Ignition and Superknock in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels & Lubr. 10 3 2017 10.4271/2017-01-2345
- Haenel , P. , Kleeberg , H. , de Bruijn , R. , and Tomazic , D. Influence of Ethanol Blends on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged, Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels & Lubr. 10 1 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0687
- Han , L. , Zhu , T. , Qiao , H. , Zhang , D. et al. Investigation of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0751 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0751
- Hirano , S. , Yamashita , M. , Fujimoto , K. , and Kato , K. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection – Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2) SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2569
- Inoue , T. et al. Abnormal Combustion in a Highly Boosted SI Engine – The Occurrence of Super Knock SAE 2012-01-1141 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1141
- Kassai , M. , Hashimoto , H. , Shiraishi , T. , Teraji , A. et al. Mechanism Analysis on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 9 1 2016 10.4271/2015-01-1867
- Kassai , M. , Torii , K. , Shiraishi , T. , Noda , T. et al. Research on the Effect of Lubricant Oil and Fuel Properties on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2292 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2292
- Kittel , H.M. , Rosiman , I.V. , Tropea , C.
- Kraftfahrtbundesamt 2015 http://www.kba.de/DE/Statistik/Fahrzeuge/Neuzulassungen/neuzulassungen_node.html
- Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , and Morikawa , K. Visualization and Analysis of LSPI Mechanism Caused by Oil Droplet, Particle and Deposit in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 529 537 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0761
- Lauer , T. , Heiss , M. , Bobicic , N. , and Pritze , S. Model Approach for Pre-Ignition Mechanisms MTZ Worldwide 75 1 44 49 2014
- Lauer , T. , Heiß , M. 2014.
- Liang , G. and Issam , M. Review of mass and momentum interactions during drop impact on a liquid film International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 101 577 599 2016 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.05.062
- Luef , R. , Grabner , P. , Eichlseder , H. , Martin , C. et al. 2014
- Luo , X. , Teng , H. , Hu , T. , Miao , R. , and Cao , L. An Experimental Investigation on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in a Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 520 528 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0758
- Magar , M. , Spicher , U. , Palaveev , S. , Gohl , M. et al. Experimental Studies on the Occurrence of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged GDI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0753
- Mayer , M. , Hofmann , P. , Geringer , B. , Williams , J. et al. Influence of Different Fuel Properties and Gasoline – Ethanol Blends on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0719
- Miyasaka , T. , Miura , K. , Hayakawa , N. , Ishino , T. et al. A Study on the Effect of a Calcium-Based Engine Oil Additive on Abnormal SI Engine Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 206 213 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0092
- Moriyoshi , Y. , Yamada , T. , Tsunoda , D. , Xie , M. et al. Numerical Simulation to Understand the Cause and Sequence of LSPI Phenomena and Suggestion of CaO Mechanism in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0755 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0755
- Ohtomo , M. , Miyagawa , H. , Koike , M. , Yokoo , N. et al. Pre-Ignition of Gasoline-Air Mixture Triggered by a Lubricant Oil Droplet SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 673 682 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2627
- Okada , Y. , Miyashita , S. , Izumi , Y. , and Hayakawa , Y. Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 584 594 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1218
- Palaveev , S. , Magar , M. , Disch , Ch. , Schießl , R. , Kubach , H. et al. 2013
- Palaveev , S. , Magar , M. , Kubach , H. , Schiessl , R. et al. Premature Flame Initiation in a Turbocharged DISI Engine – Numerical and Experimental Investigations SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0252
- Palaveev , S. , Magar , M. 2014
- Plumley , M. , Wong , V. , Molewyk , M. , and Park , S. Optimizing Base Oil Viscosity Temperature Dependence For Power Cylinder Friction Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1658 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1658
- Roisman , I.V. and Tropea , C. Impact of a drop onto a wetted wall: description of crown formation and propagation Journal of Fluid Mechanics 472 373 397 2002 10.1017/S0022112002002434
- Roisman , I. V. , Horvat , K. , Tropea , C. Spray impact: rim transverse instability initiating fingering and splash, and description of a secondary spray Physics of Fluids 18 10 102104 2006
- Scheidt , M. , Brands , Ch. , Lang , M. et al. 2014
- Spicher , U. Gohl , M. Magar , M. et al. 2016
- Spicher , U. , Kneifel , A. , Rothe , M. , Velji , A.
- Takeuchi , K. , Fujimoto , K. , Hirano , S. , and Yamashita , M. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection – Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1615
- Tanaka , J. 2017.
- Taylor , G. The Dynamics of Thin Sheets of Fluid. III. Disintegration of Fluid Sheets Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 253 1274 1959
- Thoroddsen , S.T. , Etoh , T.G. , and Takehara , K. High-speed Imaging of Drops and Bubbles Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 40 257 285 2008 10.1146/annurev.fluid.40.111406.102215
- Wang , Z. , Qi , Y. , Liu , H. , Long , Y. , and Wang , J. Experimental Study on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Gasoline Engine Combustion with Carbon Particle at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0752 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0752
- Yarin , A.L. and Weiss , D.A. Impact of Drops on Solid Surfaces: Self-similar Capillary Waves, and Splashing as a New Type of Kinematic Discontinuity Journal of Fluid Mechanics 283 141 173 1995 10.1017/S0022112095002266
- Yarin , A.L. Drop Impact Dynamics: Splashing, Spreading, Receding, Bouncing Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 38 159 192 2006 10.1146/annurev.fluid.38.050304.092144
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0340