This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stress Analysis on the Single-Lap SPR- Adhesive Hybrid Joint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Self-pierced rivet (SPR) and adhesive are two important joining technologies widely used in automobile industry, and they are often used together to form a hybrid joint. SPR and adhesives can often be used in close proximity in a component, leading to an interaction of the two joints. This interaction can influence the corrosion and noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) characteristics of the structure, as well as its strength and durability. In this paper, the stress distribution in an SPR-adhesive hybrid joint is evaluated by using the finite element method, and then compared with that in an adhesive joint. Results indicate that the stress concentrates at the edge of adhesive layer in hybrid joint and adhesive joint and around the rivet in an SPR joint. The effect of rivet is numerically investigated by either removing the rivet from the hybrid joint or changing the position of the rivet on the overlapping area.
- Guanghan Wu - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Dayong Li - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Yandong Shi - Ford Motor Research & Eng (Nanjing) Co.
- Katherine Avery - Ford Motor Company
- Li Huang - Ford Motor Research & Eng (Nanjing) Co.
- Shiyao Huang - Ford Asia-Pacific Inc.
- Xuming Su - Ford Motor Company
- Yinghong Peng - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
CitationWu, G., Li, D., Shi, Y., Avery, K. et al., "Stress Analysis on the Single-Lap SPR- Adhesive Hybrid Joint," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1445, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1445.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Tao , W. , Ma , Y. , Chen , Y. , Li , L. et al. The Influence of Adhesive Viscosity and Elastic Modulus on Laser Spot Weld Bonding Process International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 51 111 116 2014
- Zheng , X.L. et al. Effect of Metal Block on Stress Distribution in Weld-Bonded Steel Joint Advanced Materials Research 602 Trans Tech Publications 2013
- Campilho , R.D.S.G. , Pinto , A.M.G. , Banea , M.D. , and da Silva , L.F.M. Optimization Study of Hybrid Spot-Welded/Bonded Single-Lap Joints International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 37 86 95 2012
- Chowdhury , N. , Chiu , W.K. , Wang , J. , and Chang , P. Static and Fatigue Testing Thin Riveted, Bonded and Hybrid Carbon Fiber Double Lap Joints Used in Aircraft Structures Composite Structures 121 315 323 2015
- Solmaz , M.Y. and Topkaya , T. Progressive Failure Analysis in Adhesively, Riveted, andHybrid Bonded Double-Lap Joints The Journal of Adhesion 89 11 822 836 2013
- Gomez , S. , Onoro , J. , and Pecharroman , J. A Simple Mechanical Model of a Structural Hybrid Adhesive/Riveted Single Lap Joint International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 27 4 263 267 2007
- Bodjona , K. and Lessard , L. Hybrid Bonded-Fastened Joints and their Application in Composite Structures: A General Review Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 35 9 764 781 2016
- Chowdhury , N.M. , Wang , J. , Chiu , W.K. , and Chang , P. Static and Fatigue Testing Bolted, Bonded and Hybrid Step Lap Joints of Thick Carbon Fibre/Epoxy Laminates Used on Aircraft Structures Composite Structures 142 96 106 2016
- Bodjona , K. , Raju , K. , Lim , G.-H. , and Lessard , L. Load Sharing in Single-Lap Bonded/Bolted Composite Joints. Part I: Model Development and Validation CompositeStructures 129 268 275 2015
- Bodjona , K. and Lessard , L. Load Sharing in Single-Lap Bonded/Bolted Composite Joints.Part II: Global Sensitivity Analysis Composite Structures 129 276 283 2015
- Balawender , T. , Sadowski , T. , and Golewski , P. Numerical Analysis and Experiments of the Clinch-Bonded Joint Subjected to Uniaxial Tension Computational Materials Science 64 270 272 2012
- Balawender , T. , Sadowski , T. , and Kneć , M. Technological Problems and Experimental Investigation of Hybrid: Clinched-Adhesively Bonded Joint Archives of Metallurgy and Materials 56 2 438 446 2011
- Di Franco , G. , Fratini , L. , and Pasta , A. Analysis of the Mechanical Performance of Hybrid (SPR/Bonded) Single-Lap Joints between CFRP Panels and Aluminum Blanks International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 41 24 32 2013
- Di Franco , G. , L. Fratini , and A. Pasta Fatigue Strength of a Single Lap JointSPR-Bonded AIP Conference Proceedings 1353 2011
- Miyashita , Y. , Teow , Y.C.J. , Karasawa , T. , Aoyagi , N. et al. Strength of Adhesive Aided SPR Joint for AM50 Magnesium Alloy Sheets Procedia Engineering 10 2532 2537 2011
- Chang , B. , Shi , Y. , and Dong , S. Comparative Studies on Stresses in Weld-Bonded, Spot-Welded and Adhesive-Bonded Joints Journal of Materials Processing Technology 87 1 230 236 1999
- Chang , B. , Shi , Y. , and Liangqing , L. Studies on the Stress Distribution and Fatigue Behavior of Weld-Bonded Lap Shear Joints Journal of Materials Processing Technology 108 3 307 313 2001
- Kelly , G. Load Transfer in Hybrid (Bonded/Bolted) Composite Single-Lap Joints Composite Structures 69 1 35 43 2005
- Kelly , G. Quasi-Static Strength and Fatigue Life of Hybrid (Bonded/Bolted) Composite Single-Lap Joints Composite Structures 72 1 119 129 2006
- Chen , Q. , Guo , H. , Avery , K. , Su , X. et al. Fatigue Performance and Life Estimation of Automotive Adhesive Joints Using a Fracture Mechanics Approach Engineering Fracture Mechanics 172 73 89 2017