This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Impact Responses of ES-2re and SID-IIs - Part III: Development of Transfer Functions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An understanding of stiffness characteristics of different body regions, such as thorax, abdomen and pelvis of ES-2re and SID-IIs dummies under controlled laboratory test conditions is essential for development of both compatible performance targets for countermeasures and occupant protection strategies to meet the recently updated FMVSS214, LINCAP and IIHS Dynamic Side Impact Test requirements. The primary purpose of this study is to determine the transfer functions between the ES-2re and SID-IIs dummies for different body regions under identical test conditions using flat rigid wall sled tests. The experimental set-up consists of a flat rigid wall with five instrumented load-wall plates aligned with dummy’s shoulder, thorax, abdomen, pelvis and femur/knee impacting a stationary dummy seated on a rigid low friction seat at a pre-determined velocity. The relative location and orientation of the load-wall plates are adjusted relative to the body regions of the ES-2re and SID-IIs dummies respectively. The load-wall forces and dummy responses are evaluated by varying four different test parameters to investigate the effects of velocity (initial velocity vs. velocity-time pulse), shoulder engagement (with and without shoulder load-wall plate), initial arm position of the dummy (40 deg. vs. 90 deg), and oblique loading of thorax by rotating the thorax load-wall plate by 15 deg. Cause-and-effect relationships between the input loading conditions and dummy responses are established using linear regression analysis for both the dummies. Subsequently, the transfer functions are developed to establish relationships of responses between the two dummies for each body region. The usefulness of these transfer functions is discussed, and demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||Influence of Arm Position on Thoracic Injuries in Side Impact|
|Technical Paper||Regional Tolerance of the Shoulder, Thorax, Abdomen and Pelvis to Padding in Side Impact|
CitationAekbote, K., Cheng, J., Belwafa, J., Chou, C. et al., "Determination of Impact Responses of ES-2re and SID-IIs - Part III: Development of Transfer Functions," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1444, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1444.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Byrnes , K. , Abramczyk , J. , Berliner , J. , Irwin , A. et al. ES-2 Dummy Biomechanical Responses Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 353 396 2002
- Maltese , M.R. , Samaha , R.R. , Eppinger , R.H. , and Strassburg , G. Response of the Eurosid-1 Thorax to Lateral Impact SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0709 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0709
- Scherer , R.D. , Kirkish , S.L. , McCleary , J.P. , Rouhana , S.W. et al. SID-IIs Beta+-Prototype Dummy Biomechanical Responses SAE Technical Paper 983151 1998 10.4271/983151
- Sutterfield , A. , Pecoraro , K. , Rouhana , S.W. , Lan , X. et al. Evaluation of the ES-2re Dummy Biofidelity, Component, and Full-Vehicle Crash Tests Stapp Car Crash Journal 49 481 508 2005
- Viano , D. , Fan , A. , Ueno , K. , Waliko , T.J. et al. Biofidelity and Injury Assessment in Eurosid I and Biosid SAE Technical Paper 952731 1995 10.4271/952731
- Aekbote , K. , Cheng , J. , Belwafa , J.E. , Chou , C.C. et al. Determination of Impact Responses of ES-2re and SID-IIs - Part I: ES-2re SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1449 2018
- Aekbote , K. , Cheng , J. , Belwafa , J.E. , Chou , C.C. et al. Determination of Impact Responses of ES-2re and SID-IIs - Part II: SID-IIs SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1448 2018
- ISO/TR 9790 Road Vehicles - Anthropomorphic Side Impact Dummy - Lateral Impact Response Requirements to Assess the Biofidelity of the Dummy International Standards Organization, American National Standards Institute New York 1999
- Kemper , A.R. , McNally , C. , Kennedy , E.A. , Manoogian , S.J. et al. The Influence of Arm Position on Thoracic Responses in Side Impacts Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 379 420 2008
- Aekbote , K. , Cheng , J. , Wang , C. , Chou , C.C. et al. Critical Comparisons of Responses between Side Impact MDB and Pole Test Modes Int. J. Vehicle Safety 4 2 2009