This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Aluminum Suspension Part using by High Pressure Casting of Electro-Magnetic Stirring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The weight reduction of the car suspension parts has a direct influence on the ride and handling. However, the application of nonferrous metal materials, such as aluminum and magnesium, which results in a lighter weight of the suspension can lead to an increase in manufacturing costs compared to cast iron. In this study, vertical type high-pressure die casting using by electro-magnetic stirring (EMS) with A356 alloy in the sleeve was used to control the fine microstructure. Process optimization and part development, as well as unit product and automotive assessment were carried out for electro-magnetic stirring methods. Without making the slurry, the mechanical properties were obtained through optimization of process variables UTS 320MPa, YS 239MPa, EL 13.3%. It also succeeded in mass production with minimum cost increase of aluminum suspension components.
CitationKim, M., Kim, Y., Lee, J., Yoon, K. et al., "Development of Aluminum Suspension Part using by High Pressure Casting of Electro-Magnetic Stirring," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1394, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1394.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Zheng, L., Wei-min, M., and Xiao-mei, L. , “Characterization on morphology evolution of primary phase in semisolid A356 under slightly electromagnetic stirring,” Tansactions of Nonferrous Metals Socirty of China, 20, 2010.
- Nafisi, S. and Ghomashchi, R. , “Grain refining of conventional and semi-solid A356 Al-Si alloy,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 174:371-383, 2006.
- Tahamtan, S., Golozar, M.A., Karimzadeh, F., and Niroumand, B. , “Microstructure and tensile properties of thixoformed A356 alloy,” Materials Characterization 59, 2008.
- Apelian, D., Pan, Q.Y., and Findon, M. , ““Low cost and energy efficient methods for manufacture of semi-solid (SSM)” feedstock,” Die casting Engineer 1:22-29, 2004.
- Gou, H.M., Yang, X.J., and Hu, B. , “Rheocasting of aluminum alloy A356 by low superheat pouring with a shear filed,” Acta Metallurgical, 2006.
- Zhao, J.-x., Zhu, M.-f., Kim, J.-m., and Hong, C.-p. , “Evolution of globular and dendritic structures in solidification of Al-Si alloys,” Physical testing 40(9), 2004.