This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Integrated Deformed Surfaces Comparison Based Validation Framework for Simplified Vehicular CAE Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Significant progress in modeling techniques has greatly enhanced the application of computer simulations in vehicle safety. However, the fine-meshed impact models are usually complex and take lots of computational resources and time to conduct design optimization. Hence, to develop effective methods to simplify the impact models without losing necessary accuracy is of significant meaning in vehicle crashworthiness analysis. Surface deformation is frequently regarded as a critical factor to be measured for validating the accuracy of CAE models. This paper proposes an integrated validation framework to evaluate the inconsistencies between the deformed surfaces of the original model and simplified model. The geometric features and curvature information of the deformed surfaces are firstly obtained from crash simulation. Then, the magnitude and shape discrepancy information are integrated into the validation framework as the surface comparison objects. Finally, the proposed method is implemented on a crash case to verify its efficiency and feasibility in vehicle safety simulations.
CitationYang, X., Zhan, Z., Wang, Q., Wang, P. et al., "An Integrated Deformed Surfaces Comparison Based Validation Framework for Simplified Vehicular CAE Models," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1380, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1380.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Craig, K.J., Stander, N., Dooge, D.A. et al. , “Automotive crashworthiness design using response surface-based variable screening and optimization,” Engineering Computations 22(1):38-61, 2005, doi:10.1108/02644400510572406.
- Kamal, M. , “Analysis and Simulation of Vehicle to Barrier Impact,” SAE Technical Paper 700414 , 1970, doi:10.4271/700414.
- Halgrin, J. , “Integrated Simplified Crash Modelling Approach Dedicated to Pre-design Stage: Evaluation on a Front Car Part,” International Journal of Vehicle Safety 3(1):91-115, 2008, doi:10.1504/IJVS.2008.020086.
- Na, J.X., An, H.W., Yan, Y.K. et al. , “Application of Beam-shell Element Mixed Model in Optimization of Welding Seam Spacing of Coach Framework Joint,” Journal of Jilin University, 2010.
- Bosma F., Oorschot E. V., Unger M., et al. , “Side Impact Systems Integration using BASIS Sled Testing and MADYMO PSM Simulation,” Infats Proceedings of the 4th International Forum of Automotive Traffic Safety, 2005.
- Oberkampf, W.L. and Barone, M.F. , “Measures of Agreement Between Computation and Experiment: Validation Metrics,” Journal of Computational Physics 217(1):5-36, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.jcp.2006.03.037.
- Sendur, P., Stein, J.L., Peng, H. et al. , “A Model Accuracy and Validation Algorithm,” ASME 2002 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 2002:573-583.
- Sendur, P., Stein, J.L., Peng, H. et al. , “An Algorithm for the Selection of Physical System Model Order Based on Desired State Accuracy and Computational Efficiency,” ASME 2003 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 2003:891-902.
- Sprague, M.A. and Geers, T.L. , “A Spectral-Element Method for Modeling Cavitation in Transient Fluid-Structure Interaction,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 61(11):2467-2499, 2004, doi:10.1002/nme.1054.
- Zhan, Z., Fu, Y., and Yang, R.J. , “Enhanced Error Assessment of Response Time Histories (EEARTH) Metric and Calibration Process,” SAE Technical Papers, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0245.
- Cardone, A., Gupta, S.K., Deshmukh, A. et al. , “Machining Feature-based Similarity Assessment Algorithms for Prismatic Machined Parts,” Computer-Aided Design 38(9):954-972, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.cad.2006.08.001.
- Zhang, K.X., Bai, X.L., and Zhang, S.S. , “Similarity Assessment Approach of Freeform Surface Based on Local Features,” Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems 20(3):530-536, 2014.
- Wang, H., Zhang, S., Zhang, K. et al. , “A Shape Distributions Retrieval Algorithm of 3D CAD Models Based on Normal Direction,” Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems 15(6):891-896, 2009.
- Yang, J., Zhan, Z., Zheng, L. et al. , “A Comprehensive Validation Method with Surface-Surface Comparison for Vehicle Safety Applications,” SAE International Journal of Transportation Safety 5(1), 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0221.
- Papalambros, P., Barbat, S., and Yang, R.J. , “Comparing Time Histories for Validation of Simulation Models: Error Measures and Metrics,” Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement & Control 132(6):768-778, 2010, doi:10.1115/1.4002478.
- National Crash Analysis Center (NCAC) , “Extended Validation of the Finite Element Model for the 2001 Ford Taurus Passenger Sedan,” www.ncac.gwu.edu/archives/model/index.html, 2012.