This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dog Clutch Without Circular Backlash
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The paper is dedicated to design of a new dog-clutch gearshift mechanism for passenger car gearboxes with external synchronization. There are two main targets of presented work:
- 1Replace the standard synchronizer with cheap and compact shift device, which will keep the internal architecture of classical manual transmission.
- 2Keep all the other important functions of synchronizer:
- aminimal circular backlash to avoid clash during change of sense of the torque flow,
- bprevent unwanted disengagement,
- cguarantee the shift anytime,
- ddetermine neutral position (preferably).
Czech Technical University in Prague is for several years active in the field of design and testing of shift mechanisms, as well as in design of new shift clutches. The currently presented clutch is 3rd generation of inventions of dog clutch systems. All clutches were fabricated as prototype and tested. All designs will be briefly described in the paper.
To observe the real life function the prototype was assembled into the passenger car gearbox between the IIIrd and IVth speed. The transmission was equipped with external synchronization device. With help of external synchronization device the different relative speeds between the free rotating wheel and shaft can be preset. The impact of speed difference on shift smoothness can be evaluated with help of vibration measurement. The results were compared with the same gearbox equipped with classical synchronizer.
The currently presented clutch minimizes the number of pieces, shortens the length, and lowers the weight and costs of shift clutch with respect to the standard synchronizer.
CitationAchtenova, G., Jasny, M., and Pakosta, J., "Dog Clutch Without Circular Backlash," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1299, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1299.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Tůmová , G. Automatisation de la boîte de vitesses des voitures de tourisme University of Orléans and Czech Technical University in Prague 1998
- Tůmová , G. , and Foucher , P. 1999
- Achtenová , G. and Pakosta , J. Advanced usage of Inertia Test Stand - Measurement of the Gearbox No-Load Losses MECCA Journal 3 16 20 2014 10.2478/mecdc-2014-0011
- Achtenova , G. and Pakosta , J. Estimation of the Gearbox No-Load Losses SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1092 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1092
- Achtenova , G. , Pakosta , J. , and El Morsy M. 2014
- Achtenova , G. , and Pakosta , J. 2016
- Bóka , G. Shifting Optimization of Face Dog Clutches in Heavy Duty Automated Mechanical Transmissions Budapest Budapest University of Technology and Economics 2011
- Naunheimer , H. , Bertsche , B. , Ryborz , J. , and Novak , W. Automotive Transmissions: Fundamentals, Selection, Design and Application Berlin Springer-Verlag 2011