This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Symmetric Negative Valve Overlap Effects on Energy Distribution of a Single Cylinder HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The effects of Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine energy distribution and waste heat recovery are investigated using a fully flexible Electromagnetic Variable Valve Timing (EVVT) system. The experiment is carried out in a single cylinder, 657 cc, port fuel injection engine fueled with n-heptane. Exergy analysis is performed to understand the relative contribution of different loss mechanisms in HCCI engines and how VVT changes these contributions. It is found that HCCI engine brake thermal efficiency, the Combined Heat and Power (CHP) power to heat ratio, the first and the second law efficiencies are improved with proper valve timing. Further analysis is performed by applying the first and second law of thermodynamics to compare HCCI energy and exergy distribution to Spark Ignition (SI) combustion using Primary Reference Fuel (PRF). HCCI demonstrates higher fuel efficiency and power to heat and energy loss ratios compared to SI. The results are applicable for the development of micro-CHP systems using an HCCI engine operating at a constant engine speed with varying loads.
CitationEbrahimi, K. and Koch, C., "Symmetric Negative Valve Overlap Effects on Energy Distribution of a Single Cylinder HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1250, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1250.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Vuorinen, A., “Planning of Optimal Power Systems,” (Vammala, Vammalan Kirjapaino Oy, 2009).
- Beith, R., “Small and Micro Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Systems: Advanced Design, Performance, Materials and Applications,” Woodhead Publishing Series in Energy: no. 18, (Cambridge/Philadelphia, Woodhead Pub., 2011).
- Aceves, S.M., Martinez-Frias, J., and Reistad, G.M., “Analysis of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines for Cogeneration Applications,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 128(1):16, 2006.
- Zhao, H., “HCCI and CAI Engines for the Automotive Industry,” (CRC Press, 2006).
- Schramm, A., “Effects of Negative Valve Overlap on HCCI Combustion and its Use in the Control of HCCI Combustion Timing,” Master’s thesis, University of Alberta, 2014.
- Williams, S., Hu, L.R., Nakazono, T., Ohtsubo, H. et al., “Oxidation Catalysts for Natural Gas Engine Operating under HCCI or SI Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):326-337, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0807.
- Lu, X.-C., Chen, W., and Huang, Z., “A Fundamental Study on the Control of the HCCI Combustion and Emissions by Fuel Design Concept Combined with Controllable EGR. Part 2. Effect of Operating Conditions and EGR on HCCI Combustion,” Fuel 84(9):1084-1092, 2005.
- “CHP for Commercial Buildings: Fuel Cell, Engine, and Turbine Technologies for Cogeneration in Commercial, Institutional, and Municipal Buildings: Global Market Analysis and Forecasts,” PR Newswire, 2015.
- Stathopoulos, P. and Paschereit, C., “Retrofitting Micro Gas Turbines for Wet Operation. A Way to Increase Operational Flexibility in Distributed CHP Plants,” Applied Energy 154:438-446, 2015.
- “Catalog of CHP Technologies-Section 2. Technology Characterization-Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines, Combined Heat and Power Partnership, U.S. Environmnetal Protection Agency,” 3, 2015.
- Saxena, S., Bedoya, I.D., Shah, N., and Phadke, A., “Understanding Loss Mechanisms and Identifying Areas of Improvement for HCCI Engines Using Detailed Exergy Analysis,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power, no. GTP-13-110, 10, 2013.
- Saxena, S., Shah, N., Bedoya, I., and Phadke, A., “Understanding Optimal Engine Operating Strategies for Gasoline-Fueled HCCI Engines Using Crank-Angle Resolved Exergy Analysis,” Applied Energy 114(0):155-163, 2014.
- Jafarmadar, S. and Javani, N., “Exergy Analysis of Natural Gas/DME Combustion in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines (HCCI) Using Zero-Dimensional Model with Detailed Chemical Kinetics Mechanism,” International Journal of Exergy 15(3):363, 2014.
- Fatehi Ghahfarokhi, R., Khalilarya, S., and Ebrahimi, R., “Energy and Exergy Analyses of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine,” Thermal Science 17(1):107-117, 2013.
- Sarabchi, N., Saray, R.K., and Mahmoudi, S., “Utilization of Waste Heat from a HCCI Engine in a Tri-Generation System,” Energy 55:965-976, 2013.
- Kobayashi, K., Sako, T., Sakaguchi, Y., Morimoto, S. et al., “Development of HCCI Natural Gas Engines,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 3(5):651-656, 2011.
- Wagner, R.M., Briggs, T.E., Theiss, T.J., Singh, G. et al., “Defining Engine Efficiency Limits,” 17th DEER Conference, Detroit, 2011.
- Mamalis, S. and Assanis, D.N., “Second-Law Analysis of Boosted HCCI Engines: Modeling Study,” Journal of Energy Engineering 141(2):1-9, 2015.
- Farrell, J.T., Stevens, J.G., and Weissman, W., “A Second Law Analysis of High Efficiency Low Emission Gasoline Engine Concepts,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0491, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0491.
- Khaliq, A., Trivedi, S.K., and Dincer, I., “Investigation of a Wet Ethanol Operated HCCI Engine Based on First and Second Law Analyses,” Applied Thermal Engineering 31(10):1621-1629, 2011.
- Amjad, A., Saray, R.K., Mahmoudi, S., and Rahimi, A., “Availability Analysis of N-Heptane and Natural Gas Blends Combustion in HCCI Engines,” Energy 36(12):6900-6909, 2011.
- Djermouni, M. and Ouadha, A., “Thermodynamic Analysis of an HCCI Engine Based System Running on Natural Gas,” Energy Conversion and Management 88(0):723-731, 2014.
- Li, Y., Jia, M., Chang, Y., Kokjohn, S.L. et al., “Thermodynamic Energy and Exergy Analysis of Three Different Engine Combustion Regimes,” Applied Energy 180:849-858, 2016.
- Razmara, M., Bidarvatan, M., Shahbakhti, M., and Robinett, R.D., “Optimal Exergy-Based Control of Internal Combustion Engines,” Applied Energy 183:1389-1403, 2016.
- Kavuri, C., Paz, J., and Kokjohn, S.L., “A Comparison of Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) and Gasoline Compression Ignition (GCI) Strategies at High Load, Low Speed Conditions,” Energy Conversion and Management 127(Supplement C):324-341, 2016.
- Ekoto, I., Wolk, B., and Northrop, W., “Energy Analysis of Low-Load Low-Temperature Gasoline Combustion with Auxiliary-Fueled Negative Valve Overlap,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(10):1238-1255, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0729.
- Dernotte, J., Dec, J.E., and Ji, C., “Energy Distribution Analysis in Boosted HCCI-like/LTGC Engines-Understanding the Trade-Offs to Maximize the Thermal Efficiency,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8:956-980, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0824.
- Ravi, N., Liao, H.-H., Jungkunz, A.F., Widd, A. et al., “Model Predictive Control of HCCI Using Variable Valve Actuation and Fuel Injection,” Control Engineering Practice 20(4):421-430, 2012; Special Section: IFAC Symposium on Advanced Control of Chemical Processes -ADCHEM, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.conengprac.2011.12.002.
- Shaver, G., Roelle, M., and Gerdes, J., “Decoupled Control of Combustion Timing and Work Output in Residual-Affected HCCI Engines,” Proceedings of the 2005 American Control Conference, vol. 6, 3871-3876, June 2005, doi:10.1109/ACC.2005.1470578.
- Ebrahimi, K. and Koch, C.R., “Model Predictive Control for Combustion Timing and Load Control in HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0822, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0822.
- Brammer, J. and Bridgwater, A., “The Influence of Feedstock Drying on the Performance and Economics of a Biomass Gasifier-Engine CHP System,” Biomass and Bioenergy 22(4):271-281, 2002.
- Onovwiona, H. and Ugursal, V., “Residential Cogeneration Systems: Review of the Current Technology,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 10(5):389-431, 2006.
- Moran, A., Mago, P.J., and Chamra, L.M., “Thermoeconomic Modeling of Micro-CHP (Micro-Cooling, Heating, and Power) for Small Commercial Applications,” International Journal of Energy Research 32(9):808-823, 2008.
- Míguez, J.L., Murillo, S., Porteiro, J., and López, L., “Feasibility of a New Domestic CHP Trigeneration with Heat Pump: I. Design and Development,” Applied Thermal Engineering 24(10):1409-1419, 2004.
- Talbi, M. and Agnew, B., “Energy Recovery from Diesel Engine Exhaust Gases for Performance Enhancement and Air Conditioning,” Applied Thermal Engineering 22(6):693-702, 2002.
- Abusoglu, A. and Kanoglu, M., “Exergetic and Thermoeconomic Analyses of Diesel Engine Powered Cogeneration: Part 1 Formulations,” Applied Thermal Engineering 29(23):234-241, 2009.
- Mostafavi, M. and Agnew, B., “Thermodynamic Analysis of Combined Diesel Engine and Absorption Refrigeration Unit-Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 17(5):471-478, 1997.
- Pepermans, G., Driesen, J., Haeseldonckx, D., Belmans, R. et al., “Distributed Generation: Definition, Benefits and Issues,” Energy Policy 33(6):787-798, 2005.
- Seethaler, R., Mashkournia, M., Chladny, R.R., Zhao, J. et al., “Closed Loop Electromagnetic Valve Actuation Motion Control on a Single Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0594, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0594.
- Slepicka, C., “Iterative Learning Control for Fuel Robust HCCI,” M.Sc. thesis, University of Alberta, 2016.
- Ebrahimi, K., Aliramezani, M., and Koch, C.R., “An HCCI Control Oriented Model that Includes Combustion Efficiency,” IFAC-Papers OnLine 49(11):327-332, 2016; 8th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control AAC 2016Norrkping, Sweden, 20-23 June 2016.
- Heywood, J.B et al., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, vol. 930,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- Kirchen, P.N., “Thermokinetic Modelling of the HCCI Cycle,” Master’s thesis, University of Alberta, 2004.
- MarvinJr, C.F., “Combustion Time in the Engine Cylinder and Its Effect on Engine Performance,” 1928.
- Shahbahkti, M., “Modeling and Experimental Study of an HCCI Engine for Combustion Timing Control,” PhD thesis, University of Alberta, 2009.
- Souder, J.S., “Closed-Loop Control of a Multi-Cylinder HCCI Engine,” PhD thesis, University of California, Berkeley, 2004.
- Chang, J., Güralp, O., Filipi, Z., Assanis, D.N. et al., “New Heat Transfer Correlation for an HCCI Engine Derived from Measurements of Instantaneous Surface Heat Flux,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2996, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2996.
- Shayler, P., May, S., and Ma, T., “The Determination of Heat Transfer from the Combustion Chambers of SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 931131, 1993, doi:10.4271/931131.
- Abedin, M., Masjuki, H., Kalam, M., Sanjid, A. et al., “Energy Balance of Internal Combustion Engines Using Alternative Fuels,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26:20-33, 2013.
- Assanis, D.N. and Heywood, J.B., “Development and Use of a Computer Simulation of the Turbocompounded Diesel System for Engine Performance and Component Heat Transfer Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 860329, 1986, doi:10.4271/860329.
- Magno, A., Mancaruso, E., and Vaglieco, B.M., “Effects of a Biodiesel Blend on Energy Distribution and Exhaust Emissions of a Small CI Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 96(0):72-80, 2015.
- Firoozabadi, M.D., Shahbakhti, M., Koch, C., and Jazayeri, S., “Thermodynamic Control-Oriented Modeling of Cycle-to-Cycle Exhaust Gas Temperature in an HCCI Engine,” Applied Energy 110(0):236-243, 2013.
- Cengel, Y.A. and Boles, M.A., “Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach, McGraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering,” (Boston, McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2006).
- Szybist, J.P., Chakravathy, K., and Daw, C.S., “Analysis of the Impact of Selected Fuel Thermochemical Properties on Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency,” Energy & Fuels 26(5):2798-2810, 2012.
- Saxena, S., Vuilleumier, D., Kozarac, D., Krieck, M. et al., “Optimal Operating Conditions for Wet Ethanol in a HCCI Engine Using Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery,” Applied Energy 116:269-277, 2014.
- Savola, T. and Fogelholm, C.-J., “Increased Power to Heat Ratio of Small Scale CHP Plants Using Biomass Fuels and Natural Gas,” Energy Conversion and Management 47(1819):3105-3118, 2006.
- Frangopoulos, C.A., “A Method to Determine the Power to Heat Ratio, the Cogenerated Electricity and the Primary Energy Savings of Cogeneration Systems after the European Directive,” Energy 45(1):52-61, 2012.
- Jun, D. and Iida, N., “A Study of High Combustion Efficiency and Low CO Emission in a Natural Gas HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1974, 2004.
- Lefebvre, A., “Fuel Effects on Gas Turbine Combustion-Ignition, Stability, and Combustion Efficiency,” Am. Soc. Mech. Eng., (Pap.); (United States), 1984.
- Paepe, M.D., DHerdt, P., and Mertens, D., “Micro-CHP Systems for Residential Applications,” Energy Conversion and Management 47(1819):3435-3446, 2006.
- Bishop, R.P., “Combustion Efficiency in Internal Combustion Engines,” 1985.
- Bahri, B., Aziz, A.A., Shahbakhti, M., and Said, M.F.M., “Understanding and Detecting Misfire in an HCCI Engine Fuelled with Ethanol,” Applied Energy 108(Supplement C):24-33, 2013.