This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Property and Fiber Orientation Determination for Carbon Fiber Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Unexpected severe failures occur during the warm forming procedure of carbon fiber material due to the existence of extremely large deformation/strain. To evaluate this failure, a good understanding the accurate material property under certain loading is important to evaluate the forming feasibility of carbon fiber material. Also, a clear connection between the fiber orientation and the material property helps to increase the accuracy of the forming prediction. Therefore, an experimental test is needed to evaluate the material property as well as the fiber orientation. In this paper, a uniaxial tension test for the prepreg carbon fiber under the warm forming condition is performed. A halogen lamp is used to heat the specimen to reach the warm forming condition. A 3D Digital Image Correlation (3D-DIC) is utilized to measure the material property and the fiber orientation in this test, along with a DIP system. The strain distribution, dimension change, and the fiber orientation are measured throughout the test. The detailed experimental procedure is demonstrated, and the result is also analyzed.
CitationLi, J., Zeng, D., Zhu, X., Xu, W. et al., "Property and Fiber Orientation Determination for Carbon Fiber Composite," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1216, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1216.
- Li , J. , Xu , W. , Xie , X. , Siebert , T. , and Yang , L. Experimental Study of FLD0for Aluminum Alloy Using Digital Image Correlation with Modified ISO Method International Journal of Materials Research 107 3 245 253 2016
- Mouritz , A.P. , Bannister , M.K. , Falzon , P.J. , and Leong , K.H. Review of Applications for Advanced three-Dimensional Fibre Textile Composites Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 30 12 1445 1461 1999
- Roberts , T. Rapid Growth Forecast for Carbon Fibre Market Reinforced Plastics 51 2 10 13 2007
- Davim , J.P. and Reis , P. Damage and Dimensional Precision on Milling Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastics Using Design Experiments Journal of Materials Processing Technology 160 2 160 167 2005
- Yanagimoto , J. and Ikeuchi , K. Sheet Forming Process of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics for Lightweight Parts CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology 61 1 247 250 2012
- Kashfuddoja , M. and Ramji , M. Whole-Field Strain Analysis and Damage Assessment of Adhesively Bonded Patch Repair of CFRP Laminates Using 3D-DIC and FEA Composites Part B: Engineering 53 46 61 2013
- Strahler , A.N. Quantitative Analysis of Watershed Geomorphology Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union 38 6 913 920 1957
- Mangan , A.P. and Whitaker , R.T. Partitioning 3D Surface Meshes Using Watershed Segmentation IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 5 4 308 321 1999
- Li , J. , Xie , X. , Yang , G. , Zhang , B. et al. Whole-Field Thickness Strain Measurement Using Multiple Camera Digital Image Correlation System Optics and Lasers in Engineering 90 19 25 2017
- Pan , B. , Li , K. , and Tong , W. Fast, Robust and Accurate Digital Image Correlation Calculation without Redundant Computations Experimental Mechanics 53 7 1277 1289 2013
- Sutton , Michael A. , Jean Jose Orteu , and Hubert Schreier Image Correlation for Shape, Motion and Deformation Measurements: Basic Concepts, Theory and Applications Springer Science & Business Media 2009
- Li , Junrui , Xizuo Dan , Wan Xu , Yonghong Wang , Guobiao Yang , and Lianxiang Yang 3D Digital Image Correlation Using Single Color Camera Pseudo-Stereo System Optics & Laser Technology 95 2017 1 7
- Gurtin , M.E. 158 An Introduction to Continuum Mechanics Academic Press 1982