This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuzzy PID Based Optimization of Starting Control for AMT Clutch of Heavy-duty Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Starting control has become a troublesome issue in the developing field of the control system for heavy-duty trucks, due to the complexity of vehicle driving and the variability of driver's intention. The too fast clutch engagement may result in serious impact, influence on the comfort and fatigue life, and even the engine flameout, while the too slow clutch engagement may lead to long time of friction, the increased temperature, and accelerated wear of friction pair, as well as influence on the power performance and fatigue life. Therefore, the key technique of starting control is clutch engagement control, for which the fuzzy PID based optimization of starting control for AMT clutch is proposed, with the pneumatic AMT clutch of heavy-duty trucks as the research object. Firstly, the structure and working principle of the clutch control system is introduced, and the working characteristics of the clutch is analyzed; Secondly, the clutch engagement process is analyzed, and the dynamic analysis is carried out for the starting process, to establish the theoretical model; Then, the common PID algorithm is improved to optimize its parameters by the fuzzy inference method of the error change rate and error rate of clutch position, and the fuzzy PID based starting controller is designed. Finally, the vehicle dynamics model and clutch control model are established for simulation by using MATLAB/SIMULINK, and the real vehicle test is also carried out to verify the designed optimal PID control algorithm. The simulation and test results show that the fuzzy PID based starting controller results in better target tracing performance of the clutch engagement displacement, compared to normal PID control, and the starting performance has been improved with the smoother starting process.
CitationLei, Y., Liu, Z., and Fu, Y., "Fuzzy PID Based Optimization of Starting Control for AMT Clutch of Heavy-duty Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1166, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1166.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Li , L. , Zhu , Z. , Chen , Y. et al. Engagement Control of Automated Clutch for Vehicle Launching Considering the Instantaneous Changes of Driver's Intention Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 139 2 021011 2017
- Lu , X. , Wang , P. , Gao , B. , and Chen , H. 2011
- Huang , H. et al. Model-Based Optimization for an AMT Clutch Control during the Vehicle Starting SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Electronic and Electrical Systems 8 1 90 98 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0161
- Pisaturo , M. and Senatore , A. Simulation of engagement control in automotive dry-clutch and temperature field analysis through finite element model Applied Thermal Engineering 93 958 966 2016
- Lucente , G. , Montanari , M. , and Rossi , C. Modelling of an automated manual transmission system Mechatronics 73 91 2007
- Gao , B.Z. , Chen , H. , Sanada , K. et al. Design of clutch-slip controller for automatic transmission using back stepping IEEE/ASME Transactions on mechatronics 16 3 498 508 2011
- Åström , K. and Hägglund , T. Advanced PID Control ISA-The Instrumentation, Systems and Automation Society 2006
- Lewis , H. The foundations of fuzzy control Springer Science & Business Media 2013
- Wang , X. , Xie , X. , Wu , X. , and Yu , T. 2008
- Wang , S. , Shi , Y. , and Feng , Z. A Method for Controlling a Loading System Based on a Fuzzy PID Controller Mechanical Science and Technology for Aerospace Engineering 30 1 166 172 2011
- Yang , Z. , Li , L. , and Liu , B. 2014, August
- Tanaka , H. and Wada , H. Fuzzy control of clutch engagement for automated manual transmission Vehicle system dynamics 365 376 1995