This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surrogate-Based Global Optimization of Composite Material Parts under Dynamic Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This work presents the implementation of the Efficient Global Optimization (EGO) approach for the design of composite materials under dynamic loading conditions. The optimization algorithm is based on design and analysis of computer experiments (DACE) in which smart sampling and continuous metamodel enhancement drive the design towards a global optimum. An expected improvement function is maximized during each iteration to locate the designs that update the metamodel until convergence. The algorithm solves single and multi-objective optimization problems. In the first case, the penetration of an armor plate is minimized by finding the optimal fiber orientations. Multi-objective formulation is used to minimize the intrusion and impact acceleration of a composite tube. The design variables include the fiber orientations and the size of zones that control the tube collapse. The results show the versatility of the algorithm in the design of composite parts, which involve constrained, mixed-integer and multi-objective optimization problems. In the case of single objective problems, the algorithm finds global solutions. When working with multi-objective problems, an enhanced Pareto is provided.
CitationValladares, H., Jones, A., and Tovar, A., "Surrogate-Based Global Optimization of Composite Material Parts under Dynamic Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1023, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1023.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Naik , G.N. , Gopalakrishnan , S. , and Ganguli , R. Design Optimization of Composites Using Genetic Algorithms and Failure Mechanism Based Failure Criterion Composite Structures 83 4 354 367 2008
- Feraboli , P. et al. LS-DYNA MAT54 Modeling of the Axial Crushing of a Composite Tape Sinusoidal Specimen Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 42 11 1809 1825 2011
- Kathiravan , R. and Ganguli , R. Strength Design of Composite Beam Using Gradient and Particle Swarm Optimization Composite Structures 81 4 471 479 2007
- Fang , H. et al. A Comparative Study of Metamodeling Methods for Multiobjective Crashworthiness Optimization Computers & Structures 83 25 2121 2136 2005
- Jones , D.R. , Schonlau , M. , and Welch , W.J. Efficient Global Optimization of Expensive Black-Box Functions Journal of Global Optimization 13 4 455 492 1998
- Yang , J. et al. An Uncertainty Representation Based Sampling Method for Metamodeling in Auto-Motive Design Applications Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 30 10 4645 4655 2016
- Simpson , T.W. et al. Approximation Methods in Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization: A Panel Discussion Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 27 5 302 313 2004
- Storlie , C.B. et al. Analysis of Computationally Demanding Models with Continuous and Categorical Inputs Reliability Engineering & System Safety 113 30 41 2013
- Costas , M. et al. A Multi-Objective Surrogate-Based Optimization of the Crashworthiness of a Hybrid Impact Absorber International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 88 46 54 2014
- Montgomery , D.C. and Myers , R.H. Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments A Wiley-Interscience Publications 1995
- Nielsen , H.B. , Lophaven , S.N. , and Sondergaard , J. DACE, a MATLAB Kriging Toolbox. Informatics and Mathematical Modelling Lyngby-Denmark Technical University of Denmark, DTU 2002
- McKay , M.D. , Beckman , R.J. , and Conover , W.J. A Comparison of three Methods for Selecting Values of Input Variables in the Analysis of Output from a Computer Code Technometrics 42 1 55 61 2000
- Forrester , A. , Sobester , A. , and Keane , A. Engineering Design via Surrogate Modelling: A Practical Guide John Wiley & Sons 2008
- Johnson , M.E. , Moore , L.M. , and Ylvisaker , D. Minimax and Maximin Distance Designs Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 26 2 131 148 1990
- Owen , A.B. Controlling Correlations in Latin Hypercube Samples Journal of the American Statistical Association 89 428 1517 1522 1994
- Liu , K. et al. Thin-Walled Compliant Mechanism Component Design Assisted by Machine Learning and Multiple Surrogates SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1369 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1369
- Couckuyt , I. , Dhaene , T. , and Demeester , P. 2013
- Viana , F.A. , Haftka , R.T. , and Steffen , V. Multiple Surrogates: How Cross-Validation Errors can Help us to Obtain the Best Predictor Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 39 4 439 457 2009
- Wade , B. 2014
- Osborne , M. 2012 University of Washington.
- Tomblin , J. , et al. 2002
- Hallquist , J.O. LS-DYNA Theory Manual 3 Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2006