This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on Surge Phenomena in an Automotive Turbocharger Compressor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Downsizing and turbocharging are today considered an effective way to reduce CO2 emissions in automotive gasoline engines, especially for the European and US markets. In the broad field of research and development for engine boosting systems, the instability phenomenon of surge has gathered considerable interest in recent years, as the main limiting factor to high performance boosting and boost pressure control. To this extent, developing an in-depth knowledge of the surge dynamics and on the phenomena governing the transition from stable to unstable operation can provide very valuable information for the design of the intake system and boost pressure control algorithms, allowing optimal boost pressure without compromising the transient response. This paper describes an experimental study that aims at better understanding the phenomena leading to the inception of surge, and exploring the effects of the downstream circuit geometry on the compressor dynamic behavior in surge and prior to surge. A specific circuit adaptable in volume and length was designed to study the effect of different configurations on the steady flow compressor performance, with special reference to the surge line position. Instantaneous static pressures are measured in several locations upstream and downstream the compressor. Besides, dynamic sensors to measure noise and vibrations are also adopted. The preliminary results of the experimental campaign are presented, exploring the influence of geometry variations on the compressor map and surge dynamics.
CitationMarelli, S., Misley, A., Silviestri, P., Capobianco, M. et al., "Experimental Investigation on Surge Phenomena in an Automotive Turbocharger Compressor," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0976, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0976.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Bandel, W., Fraidl, G.K., Kapus, P.E., and Sikinger, H. , “The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emission,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 , 2006.
- Cornolti, L., Onorati, A., Cerri, T., Montenegro, G. et al. , “1D Simulation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Comparison of Short and Long EGR Route Solutions,” Applied Energy 111:1-15, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.04.016.
- Bozza, F., Gimelli, A., Strazzullo, L., Torella, E. et al. , “Steady-State and Transient Operation Simulation of a Downsized Turbocharged SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0381 , 2007.
- Dehner, R., Selamet, A., Keller, P., and Becker, M. , “Simulation of Mild Surge in a Turbocharger Compression System,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2142 , 2010.
- Dehner, R., Selamet, A., Keller, P., and Becker, M. , “Prediction of Surge in a Turbocharger Compression System vs. Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1527 , 2011.
- Dehner, R., Figurella, N., Selamet, A., Keller, P. et al. , “Instabilities at the Low-Flow Range of a Turbocharger Compressor,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1886 , 2013.
- Marelli, S., Capobianco, M., and Zamboni G. , “Pulsating Flow Performance of a Turbocharger Compressor for Automotive Application,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 2014, 45(1), 2014, 158-165, doi: 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2013.11.001.
- Galindo, J., Serrano, J.R., Guardiola, C., and Cervellò, C. , “Surge Limit Definition in a Specific Test Bench for the Characterization of Automotive Turbochargers,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 30:449-462, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2005.06.002.
- Greitzer, E.M. , “Surge and Rotating Stall in Axial Flow Compressors Part II: Experimental Results and Comparison with Theory,” ASME Transactions - Journal for Engineering for Power 98:199-217, 1976.
- Kindl, H., Schorn, N., Schulte, H., Serrano, J.R. et al. , “Influence of Various Compressor Inlet Design on Compressor Performance,” THIESEL, Conference on Thermo and Fluid Dynamics Processes in Diesel Engine, 2004.
- Fink, D.A., Cumpsty, N.A., and Greitzer, E.M. , “Surge Dynamics in Free-Spool Centrifugal Compressor System,” Journal of Turbomachinery 114(1992):321-332, 1992.
- Hunzinker, R., Dickmann, H.P., and Emmrich, R. , “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of a Centrifugal Compressor with an Inducer Casing Bleed System,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 215:783-791, 2001.
- Galindo, J., Serrano, J.R., Margot, X., Tiseira, A. et al. , “Potential of Flow Pre-Whirl at the Compressor Inlet of Automotive Engine Turbochargers to Enlarge Surge Margin and Overcome Packaging Limitations,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 28:374-387, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2006.06.002.
- Moore, F.K. and Greitzer, E.M. , “A Theory of Post-Stall Transients in Axial Compression Systems: Part I-Development of Equations,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 108(1):68-76, 1986.
- Oh, H.W., Yoon, E.S., and Chung, M.K. , “An Optimum Set of Loss Models for Performance Prediction of Centrifugal Compressors,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 211(4):331-338, 1997.
- Aungier, R.H. , “Mean Streamline Aerodynamic Performance Analysis of Centrifugal Compressors,” ASME Transaction - Journal of Turbomachinery 117:360-360, 1995.
- Galvas, M.R. , “Fortran Program for Predicting Off-Design Performance of Centrifugal Compressors,” NASA Technical Note, 1973.
- Harley P., Spence S., Early J., Filsinger D. et al. , “An Evaluation of 1D Loss Model Collections for the Off-Design Performance Prediction of Automotive Turbocharger Compressor,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 52, No. 4, IOP Publishing, 2013.
- Gravdahl, J.T., Willems, F., De Jager, B., and Egeland, O. , “Modeling of Surge in Free-Spool Centrifugal Compressors: Experimental Validation,” Journal of Propulsion and Power 20(5):849-857, 2004.
- Galindo, J., Serrano, J.R., Climent, H., and Tiseira, A. , “Experiments and Modelling of Surge in Small Centrifugal Compressor for Automotive Engines,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 32(3):818-826, 2008.
- Bozza, F., De Bellis, V., Marelli, S., and Capobianco, M. , “1D Simulation and Experimental Analysis of a Turbocharger Compressor for Automotive Engines under Unsteady Flow Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4:1365-1384, 2011, doi:2011-01-1147.
- Tanda, G., Marelli, S., Marmorato, G., and Capobianco, M. , “An Experimental Investigation of Internal Heat Transfer in an Automotive Turbocharger Compressor,” Applied Energy 193:531-539, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.02.053, 2017.
- Marelli S. and Capobianco, M. , “Experimental Investigation under Unsteady Flow Conditions on Turbocharger Compressors for Automotive Gasoline Engines,” 10th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 219-229, 2012.
- Marelli S. and Capobianco M. , “Measurement of Instantaneous Fluid Dynamic Parameters in Automotive Turbocharging Circuit,” Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Engines for Automobile, SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0124, doi: 10.4271/2009-24-0124, 2009.
- Aretakis, N., Mathioudakis, K., Kefalakis, M., and Papailiou, K. , “Turbocharger Unstable Operation Diagnosis Using Vibroacoustic Measurements,” ASME Paper GT2003-38321, 2003,
- Holmes, R., Brennan, M.J., and Gottrand, B. , “Vibration of an Automotive Turbocharger-A Case Study,” Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, Swansea, UK, Sep. 7-9, 2004, 445-450.
- Tanaka, M., Hatakenaka, K., and Suzuki, K. , “A Theoretical Analysis of Floating Bush Journal Bearing with Axial Oil Film Rupture Being Considered,” ASME Journal of Tribology 124(3):494-505, 2002.
- Oppenheim, A.V. and Schafer, R.W. , “Discrete-Time Signal Processing,” (Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, Prentice-Hall Inc, 1999).
- Aretakis, N., Mathioudakis, K., Kefalakis, M., and Papailiou, K. , “Turbocharger Unstable Operation Diagnosis Using Vibroacoustic Measurements,” ASME Transactions-Journal of Engineering of Gas Turbine and Power 126:840-847, 2004.
- Hagino N., Uda K., Kashiwabara Y. , “Prediction and Active Control of Surge Inception of a Centrifugal Compressor,” Proceedings of the International Gas Turbine Congress, 2003.
- Ferrari M.L., Silvestri P., Pascenti M., Reggio F., Massardo A.F. “Experimental Dynamic Analysis on a T100 Microturbine Connected With Different Volume Sizes,” ASME Transactions - Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140, 021701-1-12, 2018.