This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiments of Methanol-Gasoline SI Engine Performance and Simulation of Flexible Fuel Characteristic Field
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to the oil crisis and the requirements of energy saving and emission reduction, the research of alternative energy sources for sustainable development has made good progress. Methanol has proven to be a very suitable alternative clean fuel. Compared with gasoline, methanol has a wide range of source and the higher oxygen content and octane number and combustion efficiency, which are beneficial for the engine performance. The effect of different proportions of methanol-gasoline mixed fuel on the performance of SI engine was studied experimentally (lower proportion and higher proportion). It was found that the engine power performance, fuel economy and exhaust emissions were related to the methanol ratio under different operating conditions. In order to adapt to different operating conditions to improve the performance of methanol-gasoline engine, an on-board flexible fuel mixed system was proposed. Based on GT-Power software the model of methanol-gasoline engine with flexible fuel characteristics was built. The best proportion of the methanol-gasoline under different operating conditions was obtained by means of simulation. In addition, the engine parameters are optimized for different operating conditions and different proportions of methanol-gasoline. The results show that compared with the original engine, the equivalent fuel consumption of the flexible hybrid fuel engine is reduced by 3% ~ 10%. And by optimizing the operating parameters the range of engine fuel economy has been further expanded. The research shows that the flexible hybrid fuel engine can accurately achieve flexible fuel operation and improve the overall performance.
CitationKang, Y., Shi, X., Ni, J., and Qi, H., "Experiments of Methanol-Gasoline SI Engine Performance and Simulation of Flexible Fuel Characteristic Field," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0927, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0927.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Wang, J. andShuai, S., “Automobile Engine Fundamentals,” (Beijing, Tsinghua University Press, 2011).
- Yuen, P.,Villaire, W., andBeckett, J., “Automotive Materials Engineering Challenges and Solutions for the Use of Ethanol and Methanol Blended Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0729, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0729.
- M. Bahattin Ç.,Bülent Ö.,Faruk A., “The use of pure methanol as fuel at high compression ratio in a single cylinder gasoline engine”, Fuel, Volume 90, Issue 4, Apr 2011, Pages 1591-1595, ISSN: 0016-2361, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2010.10.035.
- Pearson, R. J.,Turner, J. W. G., “Renewable Fuels”, Comprehensive Renewable Energy, Volume 5, May 2012, Pages 1-74, ISSN: 978-0-08-087873-7, doi:10.1016/B978-0-08-087872-0.00522-9.
- Gong C.,Huang K,Jia J.,Su Y.,Gao Q.,Liu X.J., “Improvement of Fuel Economy of a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Methanol Engine under Light Loads”, Fuel, Volume 90, Issue 5, May 2011, Pages 1826-1832, ISSN: 0016-2361, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2010.10.032.
- Vancoillie J.,Demuynck J.,Sileghem L.,van de Ginste M.,Verhelst S.,Brabant L.,van Hoorebeke L., “The Potential of Methanol as a Fuel for Flex-Fuel and Dedicated Spark-Ignition Engines”, Applied Energy, Volume 102, February 2013, Pages 140-149, ISSN: 0306-2619, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.05.065.
- Wei J.,Liu H.,Li S., et al., “Effects of Methanol/Gasoline Blends on a Spark Ignition Engine Performance and Emissions”, Energy & Fuels, Volume 22, Issue 2, January 2008, Pages 1254-1259, ISSN: 0887-0624, doi:10.1021/ef7003706.
- Sapre, A., “Properties, Performance and Emissions of Medium Concentration Methanol-Gasoline Blends in a Single-Cylinder, Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 881679, 1988, doi:10.4271/881679.
- Bardaie, Z. andJanius, R., “Conversion of Spark-Ignition Engine for Alcohol Usage Comparative Performance,” Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa, and Latin America 15(2):31-40, 1984.
- Gong, C.,Huang K.,Chen Y,Jia J.,Su Y.,Liu X., “Cycle-By-Cycle Combustion Variation in a DISI Engine Fueled with Methanol”, Fuel, Volume 90, Issue 8, Aug 2011, Pages 2817-2819, ISSN0016-2361, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2011.04.010.
- Liu S.,Eddy R.,Hu T., et al., “Study of Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Methanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 27, Issues 11-12, Aug 2007, Pages 1904-1910, ISSN 1359-4311, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.12.02.
- Zhang F.,Zhang X.,Shuai S., et al., “Unregulated emissions and combustion characteristics of low-content methanol-gasoline blended fuels”, Energy & Fuels, Volume 24, Issues 2, 2010, Papers 1283-1292, ISSN: 0887-0624, doi:10.1021/ef900974p.
- Zhang F.,Shuai S.,Wang Z.,Zhang X.,Wang J., “A Detailed Oxidation Mechanism for the Prediction of Formaldehyde Emission from Methanol-Gasoline SI Engines”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Volume 33, Issue 2, 2011, Pages 3151-3158, ISSN: 1540-7489, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2010.07.029.
- Atilla B.,Ismet S., “Effects of Methanol Addition to Gasoline on the Performance and Fuel Cost of a Spark Ignition Engine”, Energy & Fuels, Volume 22, Issue 4, May 2008, Papers 2782-2788, ISSN: 0887-0624, doi:10.1021/ef8001026.
- Liu H.,Wang Z.,Long Y.,Xiang S.,Wang J.,Wagnon S. W., “Methanol-Gasoline Dual-Fuel Spark Ignition (DFSI) Combustion with Dual-Injection for Engine Particle Number (PN) Reduction and Fuel Economy Improvement”, Volume 89, Sep 2015, Pages 1010-1017, ISSN: 0360-5442, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.06.051.
- Avinash K. A.,Himanshu K.,Atul D., “Combustion, Performance, Emissions and Particulate Characterization of a Methanol-Gasoline Blend (Gasohol) Fuelled Medium Duty Spark Ignition Transportation Engine”, Fuel Processing Technology, Volume 121, May 2014, Pages 16-24, ISSN: 0378-3820, doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2013.12.014.
- Zhen, X.,Wang Y., “An Overview of Methanol as an Internal Combustion Engine Fuel”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 52, Dec 2015, Pages 477-493, ISSN: 1364-0321, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2015.07.083.
- Bromberg, L.,Cheng, W. K. “Methanol as an Alternative Transportation Fuel in the us: Options for Sustainable and/or Energy-Secure Transportation”, 2010, http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/mit_methanol_white_paper.pdf.
- Liu, H.,Wang, Z.,Long, Y.,Wang J., “Dual-Fuel Spark Ignition (DFSI) Combustion Fuelled with Different Alcohols and Gasoline for Fuel Efficiency”, Fuel, Volume 157, 1October 2015, Pages 255-260, ISSN: 0016-2361, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015.04.042.
- Wang Z.,Liu H.,Long Y.,Wang J.,He X., “Comparative Study on Alcohols-Gasoline and Gasoline-Alcohols Dual-Fuel Spark Ignition (DFSI) Combustion for High Load Extension and High Fuel Efficiency”, Energy, Volume 82, 15 Mar 2015, Pages 395-405, ISSN: 0360-5442, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.01.049.
- “GT-SUITE Engine Performance Tutorials”, Version 2016 by Gamma Technologies LLC.