This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-Based Pneumatic Braking Force Control for the Emergency Braking System of Tractor-Semitrailer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As bottom layer actuator for the AEB system, the active brake system and the brake force control of tractor-semitrailer have been the hot topics recently. In this paper, a set of active pneumatic brake system was designed based on the traditional brake system of tractor-semitrailer, which can realize the active brake of the vehicle under necessary conditions. Then, a precise mathematical model of the active pneumatic brake system was built by referring the flow characteristics of the solenoid valve, and some tests were implemented to verify the accuracy and validity of the active brake system model. Based on the model, an active pneumatic brake pressure control strategy combining the feedforward and feedback controlling modes was designed. By generating the PWM control signal, it can precisely control the desired wheel cylinder brake pressure of the active brake system. Finally, the brake pressure control strategy was validated both by simulation tests and bench tests. The tests’ results showed that the PWM control strategy for the active pneumatic brake system was both practical and reliable, and it can precisely control the brake pressure of the vehicle.
CitationZhu, B., Feng, Y., and Zhao, J., "Model-Based Pneumatic Braking Force Control for the Emergency Braking System of Tractor-Semitrailer," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0824, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0824.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- National Center for Statistics & Analysis, “Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Fatality Counts and Estimates of People Injured for 2015,” 2015.
- National Transportation Safety Board, “The Use of Forward Collision Avoidance Systems to Prevent and Mitigate Rear-End Crashes,” Special Investigation Report NTSB/SIR-15/01 PB2015-104098, 19 May 2015.
- Keicher, R. and Seufert, H., “Automatic guidance for agricultural vehicles in Europe,” Computers & Electronics in Agriculture 25(1):169-194, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0168-1699(99)00062-9.
- SAE International, “UNS on the Web; Bendix Wingman Advanced,” http://www.bendix.com/en/products/acb/wingmanadvanced_1.jsp.
- SAE International, “UNS on the Web; OnGuardACTIVE Collision Mitigation System,” http://www.meritorwabco.com/Product,2,15,2,OnGuard%E2%84%A2-Collision-Safety-Systems-.aspx.
- Limpert, R., “Brake Design and Safety,” SAE Order No. R-198 (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1999), ISBN:1560912618.
- Limpert, R., “Engineer Design Handbook, Analysis and Design of Automotive Brake Systems,” (US Army Material Development and Readiness Command, DARCOM-P-706-358, 1976).
- Bert, B., Karlheinz, H., “Brake Technology Handbook,” SAE Order No.R-367 (Warrendale, SAE International, 2008), ISBN:0768017874.
- Shuai, G., “Study on Control Strategy of Electronic Control Pneumatic Brake System,” Master thesis, School of Mechanical Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, 2015.
- Zong, C.F., Zhu, T., Wang, C., and Liu, H., “Multi-objective Stability Control Algorithm of Heavy Tractor Semi-trailer Based on Differential Braking,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 25(1):88-97, 2012, doi:10.3901/CJME.2012.01.088.
- Subramanian, S.C., Darbha, S., and Rajagopal, K.R., “Modeling the Pneumatic Subsystem of a S-cam Air Brake System,” American Control Conference1416-1421, 2003, doi:10.1109/ACC.2003.1239789.
- Acarman, T., Ozguner, U., Hatipoglu, C., and Igusky, A., “Pneumatic Brake System Modeling for Systems Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3414, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-3414.
- Selvaraj, M., Gaikwad, S., and Suresh, A.K., “Modeling and Simulation of Dynamic Behavior of Pneumatic Brake System at Vehicle Level,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2494, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2494.
- Patil, J., Palanivelu, S., and Jindal, A., “Mathematical Model of Dual Brake Valve for Dynamic Characterization,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0150, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-26-0150.
- Bu, F.P. and Tan, H.S., “Pneumatic Brake Control for Precision Stopping of Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” IEEE Control Systems Society 15(1):53-64, 2007, doi:10.1109/TCST.2006.883238.
- SMC Co. Ltd., “Modern Practical Pneumatic Technology,” (Machinery Industry Press, 2008).