This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Low-Friction Road Estimation using an Artificial Neural-Network
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Road friction estimation algorithms had been studied for many years because it is very important factor for safety control and fuel efficiency of vehicle. But traditional solutions are hard to adapt in automotive industry because their performance is not sufficient enough and expensive to implement. Therefore, this paper proposes a road friction estimation algorithm based on a trained artificial neural-network which is low cost and robust. The suggested method doesn’t need expensive additional sensors such as optical or lidar sensor, also it shows better performance in real car environment compared to other algorithms based on vehicle dynamics. In this paper, we would describe this algorithm in detail and analyze the test results evaluated in real road conditions.
CitationSeo, H., Kim, S., Jeong, S., Chung, S. et al., "A Study of Low-Friction Road Estimation using an Artificial Neural-Network," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0811, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0811.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Sado , H. , Sakai , S. , and Hori , Y. Road Condition Estimation for Traction Control in Electric Vehicle International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE) 973 978 1999
- Geamanu , M.S. , Cela , A. , LeSoliec , G. , Mounier , H. , and Niculescu , S.L. Road condition estimation and longitudinal control for electric vehicles International Conference on Control, Automation and Systmes (ICCAS) 2011 599 604
- Koskinen , S. and Peussa , P. Deliverable 13: Final Report of FRICTION Project Information Society Technologies (IST). 2004
- Vittorio , A. , Rosolino , V. , Teresa , I. , Vittoria , C.M. et al. Automated sensing system for monitoring of road surface quality by mobile devices Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 111 2014 242 251
- Vankadhara , N. , Raman , B. , and Kulkarni , P. Wolverine: Traffic and road condition estimation using smartphone sensors International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS) 2012
- Jang JSR Sun CT Mizutani E 1997 Neuro-fuzzy and soft computing: a computational approach to learning and machine intelligence Prentice Hall 226 257