This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Study of Boiling Heat Transfer in Engine Water Jackets Using Eulerian Multiphase Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The subcooled flow boiling was an effective heat transfer method by using latent heat of coolant in modern engine cooling passages. The cylinder head temperature of internal combustion (IC) engine could be maintained below the damaged temperature. Hence, in this paper, the Eulerian two-phase Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) subcooled boiling model including several sub-models was employed to study the heat and mass transfer in cylinder head cooling passages. Firstly, the two-phase RPI boiling model was validated by Robinson’s experimental data with the glycol solution of 50% volume fraction as working coolant. The simulated results were in good agreement with experimental data. Then, the Eulerian two-phase RPI subcooled boiling model could be applied to simulate subcooled flow boiling heat transfer phenomenon in practical engine cooling passages. Furthermore, in order to investigate the cylinder head temperature field, the temperature of 20 points was measured. Compared with the experimental results, the average relative error of the temperature was within 5%.
CitationWu, Z., Dong, F., Song, D., and Yuan, T., "Experimental and Numerical Study of Boiling Heat Transfer in Engine Water Jackets Using Eulerian Multiphase Model," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0778, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0778.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Robinson, K., Campbell, N.A.F., Hawley, J.G.H. et al., “Predicting Heat Transfer in Simulated IC Engine Cooling Galleries,” 2003.
- Rohsenow, W.M., “A Method of Correlating Heat Transfer Data for Surface Boiling Liquids,” Trans. ASME 74:969, 1951.
- Chen, J.C., “Correlation for Boiling Heat Transfer to Saturated Fluids in Convective Flow,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Process Design & Development 5(3):322-329, 1962.
- Dong, F., Guo, C., Fan, Q. et al., “Simulation on Boiling Heat Transfer in Cooling Water Jacket of Engine,” Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 32:76-82, 2011.
- Fontanesi, S. and Giacopini, M., “Multiphase CFD-CHT Optimization of the Cooling Jacket and FEM Analysis of the Engine Head of a V6 Diesel Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 52:293-303, 2013 293.
- Hua, S., Huang, R., Li, Z., and Zhou, P., “Experimental Study on the Heat Transfer Characteristics of Subcooled Flow Boiling with Cast Iron Heating Surface,” Applied Thermal Engineering 77:180-191, 2015 180.
- Hua, S., Huang, R., and Li, Z., “Multi-Field Conjugating Heat Transfer in Cylinder Head of Internal Combustion Engines Based on Boiling Model,” Transactions of CSICE 32:364-371, 2014.
- Georgoulas, A., Andredaki, M., and Marengo, M., “An Enhanced VOF Method Coupled with Heat Transfer and Phase Change to Characterise Bubble Detachment in Saturated Pool Boiling,” Energies 10:272, 2017.
- Software Cradle Co. Ltd, User Guide of STAR CCM+_10.02, 2015.
- Zuber, N., “On the Dispersed two-Phase Flow in the Laminar Flow Regime,” Chemical Engineering Science 19:897, 897-917, 1964.
- Auton, T.R., Hunt, J.C.R., and Prud’Homme, M., “The Force Exerted on a Body in Inviscid Unsteady Non-uniform Rotational Flow,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 197:241-257, 2006.
- Tomiyama, A., Tamai, H., Zun, I., and Hosokawa, S., “Transverse Migration of Single Bubbles in Simple Shear Flows,” Chemical Engineering Science 57:1849-1858, 2002 1849.
- Kurul, N. and Podowski, M.Z., “Multidimensional Effects in Forced Convection Subcooled Boiling. Boiling, Critical Heat Flux, & Post Critical Heat Flux”, 1990.
- Valle, V.H.D. and Kenning, D.B.R., “Subcooled Flow Boiling at High Heat Flux,” International Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer 28:1907-1920, 1985.
- Hill D.P., “The Computer Simulation of Dispersed Two-Phase Flows,” (Imperial College London, 1998).
- Cole, R., “A Photographic Study of Pool Boiling in the Region of the Critical Heat Flux,” AICHE Journal 6:533-538, 1960 533.
- Kocamustafaogullari, G., “Pressure Dependence of Bubble Departure Diameter for Water,” International Communications in Heat & Mass Transfer 10:501-509, 1983 501.