This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unsteady Flow Control and Wind Noise Reduction of Side-View Mirror
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
It aims to study the unsteady flow characteristic of the side-view mirror wake field, and reduce the wind noise by means of unsteady flow control. In this paper, the PIV test in a wind tunnel is used to capture the unsteady flow in the wake field of the side-view mirror, which is used to verify the accuracy of the steady simulation method with RANS after being averaged. Then LES turbulence model is used to obtain the wind noise, and the unsteady flow characteristic like vortex shedding of the side-view mirror is studied. The results show that, in the wake of the side-view mirror, there is a vortex pair similar to Karman Vortex Street. In both horizontal and vertical sections, these two vortexes are respectively separated from the upper and lower edges of the side-view mirror. Accompanied by a significantly uncertain periodic shedding, they continue to extend back until dissipating. The pressure fluctuation on the surface caused by this process is the root cause of the wind noise pressure pulsation. And the accuracy of the noise simulation method is verified by the wind tunnel noise test. The simulation called direct calculation method with LES is used to reduce the turbulence pulsation in the wake of the side-view mirror, which reduces the wind noise by controlling the unsteady flow characteristic.
CitationWang, Q., Chen, X., Zhang, Y., and Meng, W., "Unsteady Flow Control and Wind Noise Reduction of Side-View Mirror," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0744, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0744.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Lepley, D., Senthooran, S., Hendriana, D., and Frazer, T., “Numerical Simulations and Measurements of Mirror-Induced Wind Noise,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):1550-1562, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2236.
- Chen, K.H., Johnson, J., Dietschi, U., and Khalighi, B., “Wind Noise Measurements for Automotive Mirrors,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):419-433, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0184.
- Chen, X., Wang, H.Y. et al., “Effect of Side-View Mirror Edge Structure on Flow Field and Aerodynamic Noise,” Journal of Aerospace 29(5):1099-1104, 2014.
- Liu, L., Chen, X. et al., “Flow Field Analysis of Exterior Side-View Mirror Base Styling,” Chinese Journal of Automotive Engineering 01(2):27-34, 2011.
- Zhang, Y.C., Li, J. et al., “Technology of Particle Image Velocimetry Test in Automotive Wind Tunnel,” Journal of Jilin University 39(s1):83-87, 2009.
- Fukuchi, Y., Sawada, J., Nakajima, M. et al., “Development of a New Pressure Measurement Technique and PIV to Validate CFD for the Aerodynamics of Full-Scale Vehicles,” Journal of Bacteriology 9(2):367-371, 2016.
- Zhang, Y.C., Zhang, Z., Li, J. et al., “Virtual Wind Tunnel Test Based on Computational Fluid Dynamics,” Journal of Jilin University.