This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined Drag and Cooling Optimization of a Car Vehicle with an Adjoint-Based Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main objective of this work is to present an adjoint-based methodology to address combined optimization of drag force and cooling flow rate of an industrial vehicle. In order to cope with cooling effect, the volumetric flow rate is treated through a newly introduced cost function and the corresponding adjoint source term is derived. Also an alternative strategy is presented to tackle aerodynamic vehicle design improvement that relies on a so-called indirect force computation. The overall optimization is treated as a Multi-Objective problem and an original approach, called Optimize Both Favor One (OBFO), is introduced that allows selective emphasis on one or another objective without resorting to artificial cost function balancing. Finally, comparative results are presented to demonstrate the merit of the proposed methodology.
CitationPierrot, G., Papper, J., Han, T., and Kaushik, S., "Combined Drag and Cooling Optimization of a Car Vehicle with an Adjoint-Based Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0721, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0721.
- Schmidt S. , Schulz V. Shape Derivatives for General objective Functions and the Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations Control and Cybernetics 39 2010 3
- Bear J. Dynamics of Fluids in Porous Materials American Elsevier 1988
- Nadarajah , S. , Jameson A. 15th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference Anaheim, CA
- Popovac M. , Reichl C , Jasak H. , Rusche H. 8th International Symposium on Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer 8 Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Hinterberger C. , Olesen M. CFD & Optimization, 2011-069 An ECCOMAS Thematic Conference 23-25 May 2011 Antalya, Turkey
- Deaton , J. and Grandhi , R. A Survey of Structural and Multidisciplinary Continuum Topology Optimization: Post 2000 Struct Multidisc Optim 49 1 38 2014 10.1007/s00158-013-0956-z
- Othmer , C. A Continuous Adjoint Formulation for the Computation of Topological and Surface Sensitivities of Ducted Flows International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 58 8 861877 2008
- Ramiere I. , Angot P. , Belliard M. A general fictitious method with immersed jumps and multilevel nested structured meshes Journal of Computational Physics 225 2 2007 1347 1387 10.1016/j.jcp.2007.01.026d
- Stuck , A. 2011
- Arora , J.S. , Chahande , A.I. , and Paeng , J.K. Multiplier Methods for Engineering Optimization International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 32 7 1485 1525 1991 10.1002/nme.1620320706
- Kim , I. and de Weck , O.L. Adaptive Weighted Sum Method for Multiobjective Optimization: A New Method for Pareto Front generation Struct Multidisc Optim 31 105 116 2006 10.1007/s00158-005-0557-6
Desideri J.-A. Multiple-Gradient Descent Algorithm (MGDA) for Pareto-Front Identification Modeling, Simulation and Optimization for Science and Technology Springer 2014 978-94-017-9054-3.
- Othmer , C. Adjoint Methods for Car Aerodynamics Journal of Mathematics in Industry 4 6 2014
- Mustafa , R. , Schulze , M. , Elits , P. , and Kucukay , F. Improved energy management using engine compartment encapsulation and grille shutter control SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 2 803 812 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1203