This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Utilization of ADAS for Improving Performance of Coasting in Neutral
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
It has been discussed in numerous prior studies that in-neutral coasting, or sailing, can accomplish considerable amount of fuel saving when properly used. The driving maneuver basically makes the vehicle sail in neutral gear when propulsion is unnecessary. By disengaging a clutch or shifting the gear to neutral, the vehicle may better utilize its kinetic energy by avoiding dragging from the engine side. This strategy has been carried over to series production recently in some of the vehicles on the market and has become one of the eco-mode features available in current vehicles. However, the duration of coasting must be long enough to attain more fuel economy benefit than Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) - which exists in all current vehicle powertrain controllers - can bring. Also, the transients during shifting back to drive gear can result in a drivability concern. The in-neutral coasting system should automatically shift to drive in case of nearby traffic for safe operation capability.
To mitigate those issues, this paper proposes an in-neutral coasting control algorithm that utilizes information from Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS). By monitoring driving condition ahead, such as distance and relative velocity to preceding vehicle, the algorithm can identify the appropriate coasting opportunity. The developed logic has been implemented in a test vehicle for validation and showed promising performance. The on-road test results and fuel economy analysis are presented with the description of the coasting algorithm.
- Levent Guvenc - The Ohio State University
- Mustafa Ridvan Cantas - The Ohio State University
- Santhosh Tamilarasan - The Ohio State University
- Nitish Chandramouli - The Ohio State University
- Hoon Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Jaihyun Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Sanghoon Yoo - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Kwangwoo Jeong - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Byungho Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Sejun Kim - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
CitationLee, H., Lee, J., Yoo, S., Jeong, K. et al., "Utilization of ADAS for Improving Performance of Coasting in Neutral," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0603, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0603.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Peng , M. , Wang , J. , and Ii , J. The Design of Eco-Driving Scheme of Energy Saving Race Car SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0026 2016 10.4271/2016-32-0026
- Shakouri , P. , Ordys , A. , Darnell , P. , and Kavanagh , P. Fuel Efficiency by Coasting in the Vehicle International Journal of Vehicular Technology 2013 10.1155/2013/391650
- Walker , P.D. , Zhang , N. , and Tamba , R. Control of Gear Shifts in Dual Clutch Transmission Powertrains Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 25 6 1923 1936 2011
- Eckert , A. , Hartmann , B. , Sevenich , M. , and Rieth , P.E. Emergency Steer & Brake Assist: A Systematic Approach for System Integration of Two Complementary Driver Assistance Systems Proceedings of the 22nd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Washington 2011
- Brook-Carter , N. , Parkes , A.M. , Burns , P. , and Kersloot , T. An Investigation of the Effect of an Urban Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) System on Driving Performance 9th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems 2002
- Abe , G. and Richardson , J. Alarm Timing, Trust and Driver Expectation for Forward Collision Warning Systems Applied Ergonomics, 37 5 577 586 2006 10.1016/j.apergo.2005.11.001
- Wang , J. , Zhang , L. , Zhang , D. , and Li , K. An Adaptive Longitudinal Driving Assistance System Based on Driver Characteristics IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System, 14 1 1 12 2013 10.1109/TITS.2012.2205143
- Ziebinski , A. , Cupek , R. , Erdogan , H. , and Waechter , S. A Survey of ADAS Technologies for the Future Perspective of Sensor Fusion International Conference on Computational Collective Intelligence, 135 146 2016 10.1007/978-3-319-45246-3_13
- Koupal , J. , Landman , L. , Nam , E. , Warila , J. et al. 2005