This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Data Mining and Optimization Process with Shape and Size Design Variables Consideration for Vehicle Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents a design process with data mining technique and advanced optimization strategy. The proposed design method provides insights in three aspects. First, data mining technique is employed for analysis to identify key factors of design variables. Second, relationship between multiple types of size and shape design variables and performance responses can be analyzed. Last but not least, design preference can be initialized based on data analysis to provide priori guidance for the starting design points of optimization algorithm. An exhaust system design problem which largely contributes to the improvement of vehicular Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) performance is employed for the illustration of the process. Two types of design parameters, structural variable (gauge of component) and layout variable (hanger location), are considered in the studied case. The optimization results based on the proposed method are compared with baseline design to show its potential in improving optimization performance regarding both effectiveness and efficiency for real-world engineering design.
CitationYang, J., Chuang, C., Zhan, Z., Fang, Y. et al., "A Data Mining and Optimization Process with Shape and Size Design Variables Consideration for Vehicle Application," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0584, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0584.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Gan, Y., Duan, Q., Gong, W. et al., “A Comprehensive Evaluation of Various Sensitivity Analysis Methods: A Case Study with a Hydrological Model,” Environmental Modelling and Software 51:269-285, 2014.
- McKay, M.D., Beckman, R.J., and Conover, W.J., “A Comparison of Three Methods for Selecting Values of Input Variables in the Analysis of Output from a Computer Code,” Technometrics 21(2):239-245, 1979.
- Rao, C.R., “Orthogonal Arrays,” Scholarpedia 4(7):9076, 2009, doi:10.4249/scholarpedia.9076.
- Morris, M.D., “Factorial Sampling Plans for Preliminary Computational Experments,” Technometrics 33(2):161-174, 1991, doi:10.1080/00401706.1991.10484804.
- Cukier, R.I., Fortuin, C.M., Shuler, K.E. et al., “Study of the Sensitivity of Coupled Reaction Systems to Uncertainties in Rate Coefficients, I Theory,” J. Chem. Phys. 59(8):3873-3878, 1973, doi:10.1063/1.1680571.
- Saltelli, A., “Making Best Use of Model Evaluations to Compute Sensitivity Indices,” Comput. Phys. Commun. 145(2):280-297, 2002, doi:10.1016/S0010-4655(02)00280-1.
- Yang, R.J., Chuang, C.H., Gu, L. et al., “Experience with Approximate Reliability-Based Optimization Methods II: An Exhaust System Problem,” Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization 29(6):488-497, 2005.
- Rao, M., Gruenberg, S., and Griffiths, D., “Measurement of Dynamic Parameters of Automotive Exhaust Hangers,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1446, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1446.
- Lee, C., Park, S., and Kim, S., “Development of a Simple Numerical Method of the Exhaust System to Find Optimized Design Values,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1666, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1666.
- Chen, X., Zhang, Y., Zhang, Y., and Jiang, M., “Hanger Location Design and Vibration Isolation of an Exhaust System,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1708, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1708.
- Hawkins, D.M. and Cressie, N., “Robust Kriging-A Proposal,” Journal of the International Association for Mathematical Geology 16(1):3-18, 1984.
- Meckesheimer, M., Barton, R., Simpson, T., Limayem, F. et al., “Metamodeling of Combined Discrete/Continuous Responses,” AIAA Journal 39(10):1950-1959, 2001.
- William, M., “Curve Fitting for Programmable Calculators”, (Syntec, Incorporated, 1984), ISBN: 0943494028, 9780943494029.
- Yang, J., Zhan, Z., Zheng, K. et al., “Enhanced Similarity-Based Metamodel Updating Strategy for Reliability-Based Design Optimization,” Engineering Optimization 48(12):2026-2045, 2016.
- Deb, K., “Multi-Objective Optimization Using Evolutionary Algorithms,” (Chichester, Wiley, 2001).