This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Objective Optimization to Improve SUV Ride Performances Using MSC.ADAMS and Mode Frontier
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 3, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Ride is an important attribute which must be accounted in the passenger segment vehicles. Excessive H point acceleration, Steering wheel acceleration, Pitch acceleration can reduce the comfort of the driver and the passengers during high frequency and low frequency rough road events. Excessive Understeer gradient, roll gradient, roll acceleration and Sprung mass lift could affect the Vehicle driver interaction during Steady state cornering, Braking and Step steer events. The concept architecture of the vehicle plays an important role in how comfort the vehicle will be.
This paper discusses how to improve SUV ride performances by keeping handling performance attributes same or better than base vehicle. Multi Objective Optimization was carried out by keeping spring, bushing and damper characteristic as the design variables to avoid new system or component development time and cost.
The first step in this process is DOE (Design of Experiments method) which allows to select critical or highly influence input variables and to understand the effect of input variables on output performances. The consequent Optimization leads to select the optimum from various conflicting solutions.
CitationLenka, V., Anthonysamy, B., Londhe, A., and Hatekar, H., "Multi-Objective Optimization to Improve SUV Ride Performances Using MSC.ADAMS and Mode Frontier," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0575, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0575.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Mitra, A.C., Kiranchand, G.R., Dhakare, S.B., and Jawarkar, M.S. , “Optimization of Passive Suspension System for Enhancement of Ride Comfort,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical & Civil Engineering (IOSRJMCE) 1-8, 2016.
- Katu, U.S., Desavale, R.G., and Kanai, R.A. , “Effect of Vehicle Vibration on Human Body - RIT Experience,” Rajarambapu Institute of Technology.
- Zhang, Y., Chen, W., Chen, L., and Shangguan, W. , “Non-stationary Random Vibration Analysis of Vehicle with Fractional Damping,” 13th National Conference on Mechanisms and Machines (NaCoMM07), 2007.
- Mostaani, S., Singh, D., Firouzbakhsh, K., and Taghi Ahmadian, M. , “Optimization of a Passive Vehicle Suspension System for Ride Comfort Enhancement with Different Speeds Based on DOE Method,” Proc. of Int. Colloquiums on Computer Electronics Electrical Mechanical and Civil 1(2), 2011.
- Varghese, A. , “Influence of Tyre Inflation Pressure on Fuel Consumption, Vehicle Handling and Ride Quality,” Master’s thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, 2013, 75.
- Abdelghaffar, A., Hendy, A., Desouky, O., Badr, Y. et al. , “Effects of Different Tire Pressures on Vibrational Transmissibility in Cars, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics Prague”, Paper No. 14, 2014,145.1-145.7.
- Prabhakar, S. and Arunachalam, K. , “Simulation and Analysis of Passive Suspension system for Differrent Raod Profiles with Variable Damping and Stiffness Parameters,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 7:32-36, 2015.
- Zehsaz, M., Vakili-Tahami, F., Fasihi, A., and Majidi Jirandi, A.A. , “Sensitivity of Ride Comfort to Suspension Characteristics of an Off-Road Vehicle Under Road Excitation,” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering 2(5), May 2012.
- Marzbanrad, J., Mohammadi, M., and Mostaan, S. , Optimization of a Passive Vehicle Suspension System for Ride Comfort Enhancement with Different Speeds Based on Design of Experiment Method (DOE), Journal of Mechanical Engineering Research, Vol. 5(3), pp. 50-59, March 2013.
- Mitra, A. C., Kiranchand G. R., Soni, T., and Banerjee, N. , “Design of Experiments For Optimization Of Automotive Suspension System Using Quarter Car Test Rig,” Procedia Engineering 12th International Conference on Vibration Problems ICOVP 144, 2015, 1102-1109.
- Deb, K. , “Associate Member, IEEE, Amrit Pratap, Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 6(2), April 2002.