This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An ATV Model for CarSim
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents the development of a CarSim model of an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) that can be used to predict the handling and stability characteristic of the vehicle. The inertia and suspension characteristics of a subject ATV are measured and a model of the ATV is built in CarSim based on the measurements. A simplified suspension model is developed to convert the suspension compliance measurements into parameters suitable to a CarSim model. Procedures used to apply vehicle mass, inertia and suspension kinematics data in CarSim are also shown. The model is evaluated using predictions of vehicle response during a constant radius circle test. The simulation results of the maneuver are compared with the field test results shown in a recent CPSC report on ATV’s. Similar cornering characteristics are found in both results. Modifications are made to the model to study how changes to the ATV affect performance. The model developed provides a sound baseline for more comprehensive ATV models that contain more accurate tire and damping models based on actual tire and shock absorber measurements.
|Technical Paper||Simulation Prospective - Ride and Handling Characteristics of an ATV using MR Damper Input Control|
|Technical Paper||A Proposal For Mathematical Design Of Shockabsorbers|
CitationJia, B., Guenther, D., Heydinger, G., Zagorski, S. et al., "An ATV Model for CarSim," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0573, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0573.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Topping , J. 2017
- Graland , S. 2014
- Deppa , R. and Hauser , J. All Terrain Vehicle Lateral Stability and the Limits of Control SAE Technical Paper 891108 1989 10.4271/891108
- Chen , F. , Coovert , D. , and Guenther , D. Suspension Testing on the New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device SAE Technical Paper 920049 1992 10.4271/920049
- Heydinger , G. , Durisek , N. , Coovert , D. , Guenther , D. et al. The Design of a Vehicle Inertia Measurement Facility SAE Technical Paper 950309 1995 10.4271/950309
- Heydinger , G. , Durisek , N. , Coovert , D. , Lawrence , R. et al. An Overview of a Vehicle Inertia Measurement Facility 94SF034, Proceedings for the 27th ISATA Conference on Road and Vehicle Safety 327 334 0947719660
- Bixel , R. , Heydinger , G. , Durisek , N. , Guenther , D. et al. Developments in Vehicle Center of Gravity and Inertial Parameter Estimation and Measurement SAE Technical Paper 950356 1995 10.4271/950356
- https://www.carsim.com/products/carsim/ 2017
- SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice 1996
- Heydinger , G. 2017 https://www.cpsc.gov/content/sea-report-to-cpsc-vehicle-characteristics-measurements-of-all-terrain-vehicles
- Jia , B. 2017