This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road Classification Based on System Response with Consideration of Tire Enveloping
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents a road classifier based on the system response with consideration of the tire enveloping. The aim is to provide an easily applicable yet accurate road classification approach for automotive engineers. For this purpose, tire enveloping effect is firstly modeled based on the flexible roller contact (FRC) theory, then transfer functions between road input and commonly used suspension responses i.e. the sprung mass acceleration, unsprung mass acceleration, and rattle space, are calculated for a quarter vehicle model. The influence of parameter variations, vehicle velocity, and measurement noise on transfer functions are comprehensively analyzed to derive the most suitable system response thereafter. In addition, this paper proposes a vehicle speed correction mechanism to further improve the classification accuracy under complex driving conditions. A random forest based classifier is finally trained by treating center spatial frequencies of the octave bands as the classifier input as per ISO-8608. Simulation results validate the proposed approach for various road levels with various velocities, and the overall classification accuracy improved from F-score of 0.7547 (without velocity correction) to F-score of 0.9807 (with velocity correction).
CitationQin, Y., Yuan, K., Huang, Y., Tang, X. et al., "Road Classification Based on System Response with Consideration of Tire Enveloping," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0550, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0550.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Qin, Y., He, C., Shao, X. et al. , “Vibration Mitigation for In-Wheel Switched Reluctance Motor Driven Electric Vehicle with Dynamic Vibration Absorbing Structures,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 419C:249-267, 2018.
- Huang, Y., Wang, H., Amir, K. et al. , “Model Predictive Control Power Management Strategies for HEVs: A Review,” Journal of Power Sources 341:91-106, 2017.
- Hu, C., Wang, R., Yan, F. et al. , “Differential Steering Based Yaw Stabilization Using ISMC for Independently Actuated Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 99:1-12, 2017.
- Tang, X., Yang, W., Hu, X., and Zhang, D. , “A Novel Simplified Model for Torsional Vibration Analysis of a Series-Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” Mechanical Systems & Signal Processing 85:329-338, 2017.
- Ahead, B.R. , “America’s Roughest Rides and Strategies to Make Our Roads Smoother,” (Washington, The Road Information Program (TRIP), 2013).
- Qin, Y., Xiang, C., Tariq, K., Rath, J. et al. , “Adaptive Robust Active Suspension Control Based on Intelligent Road Classifier,” IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. Melbure, Australia, 2017.
- Wang, Z., Dong, M., Gu, L., Qin, Y. et al. , “Influence of Road Excitation and Steering Wheel Input on Vehicle System Dynamic Responses,” Applied Sciences 7(6):570, 2017.
- Wang, Z., Dong, M., Qin, Y., Gu, L. et al. , “Suspension System State Estimation Using Adaptive Kalman Filtering Based on Road Classification,” Vehicle System Dynamics 55(3):371-398, 2017.
- Qin, Y., Reza, L., and Gu, L. , “The Use of Vehicle Dynamic Response to Estimate Road Profile Input in Time Domain,” ASME Dynamic System Control Conference (DSCC), San Antonio, TX, USA, 2014.
- Imine, H., Delanne, Y., and M’sirdi, N.K. , “Road Profile Input Estimation in Vehicle Dynamics Simulation,” Vehicle System Dynamics 44(4):285-303, 2006.
- Bridgelall, R., Huang, Y., Zhang, Z., and Deng, F. , “Precision Enhancement of Pavement Roughness Localization with Connected Vehicles,” Measurement Science and Technology 27(2):025012, 2016.
- Mccann, R., and Nguyen, S. , “System Identification for a Model-Based Observer of a Road Roughness Profiler,” IEEE Region 5 Technical Conference, Fayetteville, AR, USA, 2007.
- Gonzalez, A., O’brien, E.J., and Cashell, K. , “The Use of Vehicle Acceleration Measurements to Estimate Road Roughness,” Vehicle System Dynamics 46(6):483-499, 2008.
- Koch, G., Kloiber, T., and Lohmann, B. , “Nonlinear and Filter Based Estimation for Vehicle Suspension Control,” IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2010.
- Qin, Y., Dong, M., and Zhao, F. , “Road Profile Classification for Vehicle Semi-Active Suspension System Based on Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System,” IEEE Control Decision Conference(CDC), Osaka, Japan, 2015, 1533-1538.
- Jansen, S., Schmeitz, R., and Wouters, A. , “Analysis of Vehicle and Driving Condition Influences on Road Classification from Vehicle Signals,” Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 2014.
- Douangphachanh, V., and Oneyama, H. , “Estimation of Road Roughness Condition from Smartphones Under Realistic Settings,” Proceedings of the its Telecommunications (ITST), 2013.
- Li, Z., Kalabic, U.V., and Kolmanovsky, I.V. , “Simultaneous Road Profile Estimation and Anomaly Detection with an Input Observer and a Jump Diffusion Process Estimator,” American Control Conference, Boston, US, 2016.
- Qin, Y., Reza, L., Wang, Z. et al. , “Random Road Profile Estimation Using Adaptive Kalman Filter and Adaptive Super-Twisting Observer,” American Control Conference, Seattle, US, 2017, 973-978.
- Wang, Z., Qin, Y., and Gu, L. , “Vehicle System State Estimation Based on Adaptive Unscented Kalman Filtering Combing with Road Classification,” IEEE Access 2017(5):27786-27799, 2017.
- Qin, Y., Xiang, C., Wang, Z., and Dong, M. , “Road Excitation Classification for Semi-Active Suspension System Based on System Response,” Journal of Vibration and Control, 107754631769343, 2017, doi:10.1177/1077546317693432.
- Qin, Y., Reza, L., and Wang, Z. , “Road Excitation Classification for Semi-Active Suspension System with Deep Neural Networks,” Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems 33:1907-1918, 2017, doi:10.3233/Jifs-161860.
- Qin, Y., Guan, J., and Gu, L. , “The Research of Road Profile Estimation Based on Acceleration Measurement,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 226-228:1614-1617, 2012.
- Robson, J.D. and Dodds, C.J. , “The Description of Road Surface Roughness,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 31:175-183, 1973.
- ISO , “Mechanical Vibration-Road Surface Profiles-Reporting of Measured Data. International Organization for Standardization,” ISO 8608-2016.
- Guo, K. and Liu, Q. , SAE Technical Paper 1998-0148-7191 , 1998, doi:10.4271/1998-0148-7191.
- Pacejka, H. , “Tire and Vehicle Dynamics,” (Elsevier, 2005).
- Besselink, I., Schmitz, A., and Pacejka, H. , “An Improved Magic Formula/Swift Tyre Model that can Handle Inflation Pressure Changes,” Vehicle System Dynamics 48(S1):337-352, 2010.
- Johnson, D.H. , “Signal-To-Noise Ratio,” Scholarpedia 1(12):2088, 2006.
- Rajamani, R. , “Vehicle Dynamics and Control,” (Berlin, Springer, 2011).
- Wong, J.Y. , “Theory of Ground Vehicles,” (John Wiley & Sons, 2001).
- Breiman, L. , “Random Forests,” Machine Learning 45(1):5-32, 2001.
- Sokolova, M., Japkowicz, N., and Szpakowicz, S. , “Beyond Accuracy, F-Score and ROC: A Family of Discriminant Measures for Performance Evaluation,” Proceedings of the Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2006.
- Zhao, L.H., Liu, Z.Y., and Chen, H. , “Design of a Nonlinear Observer for Vehicle Velocity Estimation and Experiments,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 19(3):664-672, 2011.
- O’dea, K.A., Ryu, J., and Nardi, F. , “GPS-Enhanced Vehicle Velocity Estimation,” (Google Patents, 2016).