This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Update of the WorldSID 50th Male Pelvic Injury Criterion and Risk Curve
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Petit et al. 2015 and Lebarbé et al. 2016 reported on two studies where the injury mechanism and threshold of the sacroiliac joint were investigated in two slightly oblique crash test conditions from 18 Post Mortem Human Subjects (PMHS) tests. They concluded that the sacroiliac joint fractures were associated with pubic rami fractures. These latter being reported to occur first in the time history. Therefore it was recommended not to define a criterion specific for the sacroiliac joint.
In 2012, injury risk curves were published for the WorldSID dummy by Petitjean et al. For the pelvis, dummy and PMHS paired tests from six configurations were used (n = 55). All of these configurations were pure lateral impacts. In addition, the sacroiliac joint and femur neck loads were not recorded, and the dummy used was the first production version (WorldSID revision 1). Since that time, the WorldSID was updated several times, including changes in the pelvis area.
In the present study, the two slightly oblique PMHS test configurations of 2015 and 2016 (n = 18) as well as three of the reference configurations used in the 2012 IRC (n = 43) plus one impactor configuration from WSU (n = 9) were duplicated using the 50th percentile male WorldSID dummy build level F. In these tests, the dummy was systematically equipped with the SI-joint and femur neck load cells.
The results show that the sacroiliac Fy is a better pelvic ring injury predictor than the pubic load. The aim of the paper is to provide an analysis of the paired test results and to propose both an updated pelvic injury criterion and the injury risk curve (IRC).
|Technical Paper||Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50 th Male Dummy|
|Technical Paper||Validation of a Finite Element Human Model for Prediction of Rib Fractures|
- Philippe Petit - LAB PSA RENAULT
- Xavier Trosseille - LAB PSA RENAULT
- Matthieu Lebarbé - CEESAR
- Pascal Baudrit - CEESAR
- Sabine Compigne - Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA
- Takuma Kawai - Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA
- Takumi Fujii - Toyota Motor Corporation
- Kenichiro Koshizako - Toyota Motor Corporation
- Mitsutoshi Masuda - Toyota Motor Corporation
CitationPetit, P., Trosseille, X., Lebarbé, M., Baudrit, P. et al., "Update of the WorldSID 50th Male Pelvic Injury Criterion and Risk Curve," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0539, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0539.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
|Unnamed Dataset 9|
|Unnamed Dataset 10|
|Unnamed Dataset 11|
- Petitjean A. , Trosseille X. , Petit P. , Irwin A. , Hassan J. , Praxl N. Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50th Male Dummy Stapp Car Crash Conference Savannah Georgia, United States November 2-4 2009
- Petitjean A. , Trosseille X. , Praxl N. , Hynd D. , Irwin A. Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50th Male Dummy Stapp Car Crash Conference Savannah Georgia, United States October 29-31 2012
- Petit P. , Trosseille X. , Lebarbé M. , Baudrit P. , Potier P. , Compigne S. , Masuda M. , Yamaoka A. , Yasuki T. , Douard R. A Comparison of Sacroiliac and Pubic Rami Fracture Occurrences in Oblique Side Impact Tests on nine Post Mortem Human Subjects” Stapp Car Crash Conference New Orleans LA, United States November 9-11 2015
- Lebarbé M. , Baudrit P. , Potier P. , Petit P. , Trosseille X. , Compigne S. , Masuda M. , Fujii T. , Douard R. Investigation of Pelvic Injuries on Eighteen Post Mortem Human Subjects Submitted to Oblique Lateral Impacts Stapp Car Crash Conference Washington, DC United States November 7-9 2016
- ISO/TR 12350:201 Road Vehicles -- Injury Risk Curves for the Evaluation of Occupant Protection in Side Impact Tests
- Pintar , F.A. , Yoganandan , N. , Sances , A. , Eppinger , R.H. Instrumentation of Human Surrogates for Side Impact 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Pintar , F.A. , Yoganandan , N. , Hines , M.H. Chestband Analysis of Human Tolerance to Side Impact 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Maltese , M.R. , Eppinger , R.H. , Rhule , H.H. , Donnelly , B.R. Response Corridors of Human Surrogates in Lateral Impact 46th Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Cesari , D. , Ramet , M. , Clair , PY Evaluation of Pelvic Fracture Tolerance in Side Impact 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Cesari , D. , Ramet , M. Pelvic Tolerance and Protection Criteria in Side Impact 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Viano D. Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Viano , D.C. , Lau , I.V. , Asbury , C. , King , A.I. , Begeman , P.
- Damm , R. , Schnottale , B. , and Lorenz , B. Evaluation of the Biofidelity of the WorldSID and the ES-2 on the Basis of PMHS Data Spain, September IRCOBI Madrid 2006 20 22
- Becker , T. Potential Problems in the Statistical Control of Variables in Organizational Research: A Qualitative Analysis with Recommendations Organizational Research Methods 8 274 2005 10.1177/1094428105278021