This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Prediction Based Boost Converter Control Method for HEV Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Boost converter is widely applied to hybrid electric vehicles (HEV). Typical control methods employ two proportional-integral (PI) regulators to fulfill DC bus voltage closed-loop control and inductor current closed-loop control, respectively. They have intrinsic performance limitations: 1) slow dynamic response of DC bus voltage regulation; 2) high overshoot voltage during transient state; 3) it is difficult to design four gains best fit all operational conditions. This paper proposes a model prediction based boost converter control method for HEV applications. The proposed control method employs model based instantaneous power prediction and dynamic optimization in real time by minimizing a defined cost function to overcome above issues. First of all, the issues of typical control methods are analyzed. Then, the proposed control method is presented in detail, followed by simulation verification and comparison with PI based control method. Simulation results show that the proposed control method provides much better performance to boost converter system than the PI-based control.
CitationGe, B., Chen, L., and Zarei, S., "Model Prediction Based Boost Converter Control Method for HEV Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0452, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0452.
- P. K. Manakos , T. Geyer , N. Oikonomou , et al. IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine 2014 32 43 10.1109/MIE.2013.2290474
- S. Vazquez , J. Rodriguez , M. Rivera , et al. Model Predictive Control for Power Converters and Drives: Advances and Trends IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 64 2 935 947 2017 10.1109/TIE.2016.2625238
- S. Vazquez , Jose I. Leon , Leopoldo G. Franquelo , et al. Model Predictive Control: A Review of its Applications in Power Electronics IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine 8 1 16 31 2014 10.1109/MIE.2013.2290138
- Sumit Dutta , Subhashish Bhattacharya Predictive Current Mode Control of Single Phase Dual Active Bridge DC to DC Converter 2013 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) 5526 5533 28 October 2013 10.1109/ECCE.2013.6647451
- M. Rivera , Christian Rojas , Alan Wilson , et al. Review of Predictive Control Methods to Improve the Input Current of an Indirect Matrix Converter IET Power Electronics 7 4 886 894 2014 10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0327
- A. Calle-Prado , S. Alepuz , J. Bordonau , P. Cortes , and J. Rodriguez Predictive Control of a Back-to-Back NPC Converter-Based Wind Power System IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 63 7 4615 4627 2016 10.1109/TIE.2016.2529564
- S. Sajadian and R. Ahmadi Model Predictive-Based Maximum Power Point Tracking for Grid-Tied Photovoltaic Applications Using a Z-Source Inverter IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 31 11 7611 7620 2016 10.1109/TPEL.2016.2537814
- Nan Li , Yuwei Xie , Zhicheng Sha , et al. Hybrid Predictive Control Method for Battery Integrated Modular Multilevel Converter 2016 IEEE 8th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC-ECCE Asia) Hefei 2016 3777 3782 10.1109/IPEMC.2016.7512899
- M. Rivera , P. Wheeler , A. Olloqui , and D. A. Khaburi A Review of Predictive Control Techniques for Matrix Converters - Part I 2016 7th Power Electronics and Drive Systems Technologies Conference (PEDSTC) Tehran 2016 582 588 10.1109/PEDSTC.2016.7556925
- M. Rivera , P. Wheeler , A. Olloqui and D. A. Khaburi A Review of Predictive Control Techniques for Matrix Converters - Part II 2016 7th Power Electronics and Drive Systems Technologies Conference (PEDSTC) Tehran 2016 589 595 10.1109/PEDSTC.2016.7556926
- M. Khosravi , D. A. Khaburi and S. Heshmatian Predictive Control of Multi-Input Switched-Capacitor DC-DC Converter with Reduced Switching Frequency 2017 8th Power Electronics, Drive Systems & Technologies Conference (PEDSTC) Mashhad 2017 549 554 10.1109/PEDSTC.2017.7910386
- S. Bolognani , S. Bolognani , L. Peretti , and M. Zigliotto Design and Implementation of Model Predictive Control for Electrical Motor Drives IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 56 6 1925 1936 2009 10.1109/TIE.2008.2007547