This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Model for Gear Churning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) model for predicting power losses associated with churning of oil by gears or other similar rotating components. The modeling approach and parameters are optimized to ensure the accuracy, robustness, and computational efficiency of these predictions. These studies include a look at two types of mesh and a turbulence model selection. The focus is on multiple reference frame (MRF) modeling technique for its computational efficiency advantage. Model predictions are compared to previously published experimental data  under varying operating conditions typical for an automotive transmission application. The model shows good agreement with the hardware both quantitatively and qualitatively, capturing the trends with speed and submersion level. The paper concludes with presenting some key lessons learned, and recommendation for future work to ultimately build a highly reliable tool as part of the virtual product development.
CitationCavotta, M., Hotait, M., and Singh, A., "A Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Model for Gear Churning," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0401, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0401.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Polly , J. , Talbot , D. , Kahraman , A. , Singh , A. et al. An Experimental Investigation of Churning Power Losses of a Gearbox ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference Cleveland 2017
- Gorla , C. , Concli , F. , Stahl , K. , Höhn , B.-R. et al. Advances in Tribology 2012
- Concli , Franco Carlo Gorla , and Analysis of the Power Losses in Geared Transmissions-Measurements and CFD Calculations Based on Open Source Codes Int. Gear Conference Lyon 2014
- Concli , F. , Gorla , C. , Torre , A.D. , and Montenegro , G. Windage Power Losses of Ordinary Gears: Different CFD Approaches Aimed to the Reduction of the Computational Effort Lubricants 2 4 162 176 2014
- Marchesse , Y. , Changenet , C. , Ville , F. , and Velex , P. Investigations on CFD Simulations for Predicting Windage Power Losses in Spur Gears Journal of Mechanical Design 133 2 2011
- Voeltzel , N. , Marchesse , Y. , Changenet , C. , Ville , F. et al. Preliminary Numerical Investigations on Windage Power Losses Generated by Helical Gears International Gear Conference 2014 2014 1141 1149
- Munson , B.R. , Young , D.F. , and Okiishi , T.H. Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics New York 3 4 1990