This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Exhaust Rocker Arm Lost Motion Compression Release Engine Brake with Novel Reset Mechanism for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new compression release engine brake system has been developed which utilizes the well-known lost motion idea along with an entirely new valve resetting mechanism. The engine brake is fully integrated into the exhaust rocker arm, making it highly compact. The novel reset mechanism provides a pressure sensing reset timing which optimizes engine brake performance and valve train stress at all engine speeds. Hydraulic system simulation studies were performed to first verify the concept on paper. Once acceptable performance was predicted, physical prototypes were produced. The Cummins ISL 8.9 L engine was chosen as a proof of concept platform due to its availability and its factory engine brake option. The factory engine brake gives a data set for comparison while validating this new technology. All targets for engine brake function were achieved, and a substantial increase in performance was demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||Co-Simulation of Valve Trains and Timing Drives Including Unilateral Constraints and Hydraulics|
|Technical Paper||Computer Modeling and Simulation of Hydraulic Systems|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Air Compressor Size Rating Recommended Practice - Truck and Bus|
CitationBatcheller, D. and Taylor, K., "Integrated Exhaust Rocker Arm Lost Motion Compression Release Engine Brake with Novel Reset Mechanism for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0381, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0381.
- Gibson, R., Greathouse, J., Pekar, F., Pelizzoni, W. , “Variable Valve Timing System,” U.S. Patent 3,786,792 A, filed 28 May 1971, and issued 22 Jan 1974.
- Cartledge, C. , “Rocker Arm Engine Brake System,” U.S. Patent 3,809,033 A, filed 11 July 1972, and issued 7 May 1974.
- Lester, J. , “Lost Motion System and Method for Fixed-Time Valve Actuation,” U.S. Patent 6,694,933 B1, filed 19 Sept 2002, and issued 24 Feb 2004.
- Gustafson, R. , “Engine Compression Braking System with Integral Rocker Lever and Reset Valve,” U.S. Patent 6,253,730 B1, filed 14 Jan 2000, and issued 3 July 2001.
- Cecur, M. , “Rocker Arm Assembly for Engine Braking,” U.S. Patent Application 20170170175597 A1, filed 14 Feb 2014, and published 22 June 2017.
- Meneely, V., Price, B. , “Compression-Release Engine Brake System for Lost Motion Rocker Arm Assembly and Method of Operation Thereof,” U.S. Patent 9,562,448 B2, filed 27 June 2016, published 7 Feb 2017.