This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ECN Spray G Injector: Assessment of Numerical Modeling Accuracy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) is a leading technology for Spark Ignition (SI) engines: control of the injection process is a key to design the engine properly.
The aim of this paper is a numerical investigation of the gasoline injection and the resulting development of plumes from an 8-hole Spray G injector into a quiescent chamber. A LES approach has been used to represent with high accuracy the mixing process between the injected fuel and the surrounding mixture. A Lagrangian approach is employed to model the liquid spray. The fuel, considered as a surrogate of gasoline, is the iso-octane which is injected into the high-pressure vessel filled with nitrogen.
The numerical results have been compared against experimental data realized in the optical chamber. To reveal the geometry of plumes two different imaging techniques have been used in a quasi-simultaneous mode: Mie-scattering for the liquid phase and schlieren for the gaseous one. Different operating conditions, in terms of temperature and pressure inside the chamber, have been tested to check the robustness of the numerical framework proposed by varying operating conditions.
Results obtained show a very good agreement between the numerical results and the experimental data confirming the capabilities of the approach to describe accurately all the physical phenomena involved in the injection process. The influence of the grid size and the number of parcels has been highlighted showing the existence of threshold values for accuracy. Further investigation on the mixing characteristics of the spray have been performed looking at the turbulence generated by the spray-ambient interaction and the local ignition probability index.
- Lorenzo Bartolucci - University of Rome Tor Vergata
- Stefano Cordiner - University of Rome Tor Vergata
- Vincenzo Mulone - University of Rome Tor Vergata
- Vittorio Rocco - University of Rome Tor Vergata
- Luigi Allocca - Istituto Motori CNR
- Maurizio Lazzaro - Istituto Motori CNR
- Alessandro Montanaro - Istituto Motori CNR
CitationAllocca, L., Bartolucci, L., Cordiner, S., Lazzaro, M. et al., "ECN Spray G Injector: Assessment of Numerical Modeling Accuracy," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0306, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0306.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Duke , D. et al. X-Ray Imaging of Cavitation in Diesel Injectors SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 1003 1016 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1404
- Duke , D.J. , Kastengren , A.L. , Tilocco , F.Z. , Swantek , A.B. , and Powell , C.F. X-Ray Radiography Measurements of Cavitating Nozzle Flow Atomization and Sprays 23 9 841 860 2013
- Q. Xue et al. An Eulerian CFD Model and X-Ray Radiography for Coupled Nozzle Flow and Spray in Internal Combustion Engines International Journal of Multiphase Flow 70 77 88 2015
- Battistoni , M. , Xue , Q. , Som , S. , and Pomraning , E. Effect of Off-Axis Needle Motion on Internal Nozzle and near Exit Flow in a Multi-Hole Diesel Injector SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 1 167 182 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1426
- Pei , Y. , Qin , J. , Li , X. , Zhang , D. et al. Experimental Investigation on Free and Impingement Spray Fueled with Methanol, Ethanol, Isooctane, TRF and Gasoline Fuel 208 Supplement C 174 183 2017
- Cavicchi , A. , Postrioti , L. , Giovannoni , N. , Fontanesi , S. et al. Numerical and experimental analysis of the spray momentum flux measuring on a GDI injector Fuel 206 Supplement C 614 627 2017
- Postrioti , L. and Battistoni , M. Evaluation of Diesel Spray Momentum Flux in Transient Flow Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2244 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2244
- Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , and Lazzaro , M. Iso-Octane Spray from a GDI Multi-Hole Injector under Non- and Flash Boiling Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2319 2017
- Piazzullo , D. , Costa , M. , Allocca , L. , Montanaro , A. , and ROCCO , V. A 3D CFD Simulation of GDI Sprays Accounting for Heat Transfer Effects on Wallfilm Formation SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 2166 2175 2017
- Bartolucci , L. , Cordiner , S. , Mulone , V. , and Rocco , V. Natural Gas Partially Stratified Lean Combustion: Analysis of the Enhancing Mechanisms into a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber Fuel 211 Supplement C 737 753 2018
- Ruggles , A.J. and Ekoto , I.W. Ignitability and Mixing of Underexpanded Hydrogen Jets Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 37 22 17549 17560 2012
- Birch , A.D. , Brown , D.R. , and Dodson , M.G. Ignition Probabilities in Turbulent Mixing Flows Symp. Combust. 18 1 1775 1780 1981
- Allocca , L. , Montanaro , A. , Di Gioia , R. , and Bonandrini , G. Spray Characterization of a Single-Hole Gasoline Injector under Flash Boiling Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0041 2014 10.4271/2014-32-0041
- Montanaro , A. and Allocca , L. Flash Boiling Evidences of a Multi-Hole GDI Spray under Engine Conditions by Mie-Scattering Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1945 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1945
- Parrish , S.E. Evaluation of Liquid and Vapor Penetration of Sprays from a Multi-Hole Gasoline Fuel Injector Operating under Engine-like Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 1017 1033 2014
- C. von Kuensberg Sarre , S.-C. Kong , and R. D. Reitz Modeling the Effects of Injector Nozzle Geometry on Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0912 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0912
- Yves Dubief & Franck Delcayre 2000 On Coherent-Vortex Identification in Turbulence Journal of Turbulence 1 10.1088/1468-5248/1/1/011