This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Validation of a Roots-type Supercharger Using GT-SUITE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Superchargers are engine driven positive displacement devices which increase the air mass flow into the engine, thereby leading to a better combustion efficiency. This gives an advantage of extracting more power from the same engine , thereby reducing emissions and achieving a better fuel economy . With emission norms getting more and more stringent, the need for boosting engine intake air becomes very important . There are many types of superchargers based on design , out of which, the roots-type positive displacement supercharger, is discussed in here. A 1-dimensional model of supercharger gives flexibility of choosing the right aspect ratio (length to the diameter of the rotor), deciding on the clearances (a tradeoff between volumetric efficiency and manufacturing capabilities) and arriving at the inlet and discharge port dimensions. The dependency of the above parameters on mass flow rate of air and volumetric efficiency of the supercharger can be studied in good depth with a simplified one dimensional model . This paper aims to present a one dimensional model of roots-type twin rotor (each 3 lobed) supercharger using pre-modeled library components on GT-Suite. This model has been validated with the test setup for different speeds and pressure ratios and is found to be accurate to the tune of min. 90% on mass flow and min. 97% on discharge temperatures. This model further assists in developing a supercharger map which helps in matching supercharger to the engine requirements.
CitationS, P. and P. K., J., "Modeling and Validation of a Roots-type Supercharger Using GT-SUITE," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0164, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0164.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Heisler, H., “Advanced Engine Technology,” (Butterworth-Heinemann Publications, 1995).
- Bae, J.-I. and Bae, S.C., “A Study on the Engine Downsizing Using Mechanical Supercharger,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 19:2321-2329, 2005.
- Brynych, P., Macek, J., Vitek, O., and Cervenka, L., “1-D Model of Roots Type Supercharger,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0927 2013, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0927.
- Heywood, J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” (McGraw-Hill Publications, 1988).
- Tong, S.-H. and Yang, D.C.H., “On the Generation of New Lobe Pumps for Higher Pumping Flowrate,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 35:997-1012, 2000.
- Understanding Blowers, Everest Transmission.
- Mcdougald, S., Imrie, B.W., and Cole, B.N., “An Investigation of the Volumetric Efficiency of a Roots Blower,” International Compressor Engineering Conference, 1974.
- SAEJ1723, “Supercharger Test Standard,” SAE International, 1995.
- GT-SUITE “Flow Manual,” Gamma Technologies.
- GT-SUITE, “1D Simulation Manual,” Gamma Technologies.