This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Warpage Prediction on Injection Molded Semi-Crystalline Thermoplastics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Warpage is the distortion induced by inhomogeneous shrinkage during injection molding of plastic parts. Uncontrolled warpage will result in dimensional instability and bring a lot of challenges to the mold design and part assembly. Current commercial simulation software for injection molding cannot provide consistently accurate warpage prediction, especially for semi-crystalline thermoplastics. In this study, the root cause of inconsistency in warpage prediction has been investigated by using injection molded polypropylene plaques with a wide range of process conditions. The warpage of injection molded plaques are measured and compared to the numerical predictions from Moldex3D. The study shows that with considering cooling rate effect on crystallization kinetics and using of the improved material model for residual stress calculations, good agreements are obtained between experiment and simulation results. This study also shows that the accurate parameter characterization for the material model plays a critical role in improving the prediction accuracy.
CitationSun, X., Vallury, S., Su, L., Tibbenham, P. et al., "Warpage Prediction on Injection Molded Semi-Crystalline Thermoplastics," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0149, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0149.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Guo, W., Hua, L., Mao, H., and Meng, Z., “Prediction of Warpage in Plastic Injection Molding Based on Design of Experiments,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 26(4):1133-1139, 2012.
- Le, M.C., Belhabib, S., Nicolazo, C., Vachot, P. et al., “Pressure Influence on Crystallization Kinetics during Injection Molding,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 211(1):1757-1763, 2011.
- Shen, C. and Li, H., “Numerical Simulation for Effects of Injection Mold Cooling on Warpage and Residual Stresses,” Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering 42(5):971-982, 2003.
- Liu, F., Zhou, H., and Li, D., “Numerical Simulations of Residual and Warpage in Injection Molding,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 28(5):571-585, 2009.
- Tseng, C.-H., Huang, C.-T., Liu, Y.-C., Yang, W.-L. et al., “3D Volume Shrinkage Compensation Method,”Tech Papers SPE, ANTEC, 2429-2435, 2015.
- Singh, K., Webb, J. and Qi, L., “Verifying and Improving the Plastic Deformation of Automotive Interior Parts at Early Design Stage,” Tech Papers SPE, ANTEC, 2429-2435, 2012.
- Sun, X., Su, X., Mao, J., Tibbenham, P., and Tao, J., “The Application of Modified PVT Data on the Warpage Prediction of Injection Molded Part,” Journal of Polymer Research 23(86), 2016.
- Sun, X., Su, X., Mao, J., Tibbenham, P. et al., “The Application of Modified Viscoplastic Constitutive Relationship on the Warpage Prediction of Injection-Molded Part,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 86:2517, 2016.
- Zoller, P., “Pressure-Volume-Temperature Relationship of Solid and Molten Polypropylene and Poly (Butene-1),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science 23:1057-1061, 1979.
- Chang, R., Chen, C., and Su, K., “Modifying the Tait Equation with Cooling Rate Effects to Predict the Pressure-Volume-Temperature Behaviors of Amorphous Polymers: Modeling and Experiments,” Polymer Engineering and Science 36:1789-1795, 1996.
- Sanchez, R., Aisa, J., Martinez, A., and Marcado, D., “On the Relationship between Cooling Setup and Warpage in Injection Molding,” Journal of Measurement 45(1):1051-1056, 2012.
- Wang, J., Xie, P., Yang, W., and Ding, Y., “Online Pressure-Volume-Temperature Measurements of Polypropylene Using a Testing Mold to Simulate the Injection-Molding Process,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science 118:200-208, 2010.
- Lucyshyn, T., Knapp, G., Kipperer, M., and Holzer, C., “Determination of the Transition Temperature at Different Cooling Rates and Its Influence on Prediction of Shrinkage and Warpage in Injection Molding Simulation,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science 123:1162-1168, 2012.
- Popelar, C., Popelar, C., and Kenner, V., “Viscoelastic Material Characterization and Modeling for Polyethylene,” Polymer Engineering and Science 30:577-586, 1990.
- Drozdov, A. and Christiansen, J., “The Nonlinear Time-Dependent Response of Semicrystalline Polymers: Correlations between the Configurational Entropy and the Rate of Rearrangement of Chains,” Macromolecular Theory and Simulations 11:884-897, 2002.
- Meyer, R. and Pruitt, L., “The Effect of Cyclic True Strain on the Morphology, Structure, and Relaxation Behavior of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene,” Polymer 42(12):5293-5306, 2001.
- Brusselle-Dupend, N., Lai, D., Feaugas, X., Guigon, M. et al., “Mechanical Behavior of a Semicrystalline Polymer before Necking. Part 1: Characterization of Uniaxial Behavior,” Polymer Engineering and Science 41(1):66-76, 2001.
- Spencer, M. and Paul, D., “Modeling the Mechanical and Thermal Expansion Behavior of TPO-Based Nanocomposites,” Polymer 52:4910-4919, 2011.