This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Scenario Generation due to Road Load Data for a Bus Prototype and Its Correlation in Frequency Domain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this paper is to have a realistic simulation to estimate the real test scenario with respect to durability. A bus fatigue analysis results were realized by the Hexagon Studio Vehicle Dynamics Team. The measurements were taken by the test team on the Altoona test ground to provide input for fatigue analysis. The acceleration data were taken from four wheels’ hub. In addition, the reference acceleration data were taken from the midpoint CG (center of gravity) of the vehicle body to compare the characteristics of the vehicle on the Altoona road with the output of the fatigue analysis.
Firstly, the fatigue model must be set up for fatigue analysis. For this analysis, the flexible body was given by durability team. The axle components were assembled to flexible body. The Adams durability model was created.
This processed data of RLD (road load data) provides input to the Adams fatigue analysis. Adams fatigue analysis was run to obtain “. dac” files. “.dac” file formats are used to calculated fatigue life of the mechanical systems. These graphs provide input for the durability team’s prediction for bus usage life. According to the result of the analysis, the acceleration data obtained from the body reference point and the graphs of the acceleration data generated by the Adams analysis show that the analysis simulates the reality very closely.
CitationGungor, E., Kuris, S., and Aykent, B., "Fatigue Scenario Generation due to Road Load Data for a Bus Prototype and Its Correlation in Frequency Domain," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0132, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0132.
- Bäcker, M., Langthaler, T., Olbrich, M., and Oppermann, H., “The Hybrid Road Approach for Durability Loads Prediction,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0628, 2005, doi:10.4271/200501-0628.
- Plummer, A. and Dodds, C., “Model-In-The-Loop Track Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 200601-0732, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0732.
- Topac, M.M., Günal, H., and Kuralay, N.S., “Fatigue Failure Prediction of a Rear Axle Housing Prototype by Using Finite Element Analysis,” Engineering Failure Analysis 16(5):1474-1482, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.engfailanal.2008.09.016.
- Srikantan et al., “Durability Design Process for Truck Body Structure,” International Journal of Vehicle Design, 2000, doi: 10.1504/IJVD.2000.001885.
- KongHui, G. et al., “Chassis Loads Prediction Approach of Vehicle Durability Analysis Research Summary,” Science Technology and Engineering 24:024, 2010.
- Gao, Y., Feng, Z., Fang, J., and Wang, S., “Research on the Fatigue Durability Performance of a SUV Rear Axle,” SAE Technical Paper 201601-0376, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-010376.
- Turano, M., Civera, F., Figueiredo, G., Margaria, M. et al., “Road Simulation Bench as a Tool to Reduce Time and Costs in Comparison with Proving Ground Testing - Correlation Study,” SAE Technical Paper 201301-0150, 2013, doi:10.4271/201301-0150.
- Schuh, F., Corso, L., and Hoss, L., “Methodology for Fatigue Life Durability Prediction Applied to Commercial Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 201436-0038, 2014, doi:10.4271/201436-0038.
- Gosavi, S., “In Lab Truck Cab and Cab Suspension Durability Validation,” SAE Technical Paper 200601-1245, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1245.
- Guangfeng, G. et al., “Kinematic Analysis and Control Strategy of 6-DOF Hydraulic Vibration Table,” Journal of Vibration, Measurement & Diagnosis 1:024, 2011.
- WeiWei. “Coupling Analysis and its Control Strategy of Redundant Multi-Axle Shaking Table.” Harbin Institute of Technology, 2015, DOI: 10.1109/TCBB.2015.2511767.
- Moon, I.-D., “A Flexible Multi-Body Dynamic Model for Analyzing the Hysteretic Characteristics and the Dynamic Stress of a Taper Leaf Spring,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 20(10):1638-1645, 2006, doi:10.1007/BF02916267.
- Su, Hong, “Automotive CAE Durability Analysis Using Random Vibration Approach,” MSC 2nd Worldwide Automotive Conference, 2000 Dearborn, MI, DOI: 10.1094/PHYTO.2000.90.1.67.
- Gao, Y., Han, J., Fang, J., and Wang, S., “Programmed Load Spectrum for Fatigue Bench Test of a Vehicle Body,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 9(3):605-613, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0387.
- Ryu, S. and Study, A., “On Obtaining Excitation Load of Virtual Test Lab Using Virtual Iteration Method,” SAE Technical Paper 201001-0011, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-010011.
- Gao, Y., Wang, G., and Han, J., “The Study on Fatigue Test of Cab Assembly Based on 4-Channel Road Simulation Bench,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2017010328, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0328.