This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Wireless Message for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Safety Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper summarizes the development of a wireless message from infrastructure-to-vehicle (I2V) for safety applications based on Dedicated Short-Range Communications (DSRC) under a cooperative agreement between the Crash Avoidance Metrics Partners LLC (CAMP) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). During the development of the Curve Speed Warning (CSW) and Reduced Speed Zone Warning with Lane Closure (RSZW/LC) safety applications , the Basic Information Message (BIM) was developed to wirelessly transmit infrastructure-centric information. The Traveler Information Message (TIM) structure, as described in the SAE J2735, provides a mechanism for the infrastructure to issue and display in-vehicle signage of various types of advisory and road sign information. This approach, though effective in communicating traffic advisories, is limited by the type of information that can be broadcast from infrastructures. The new BIM provides additional infrastructure data needed to support dynamic vehicles based safety applications and also leverages existing SAE J2735 data elements. By including data containers specific to other applications, the proposed BIM framework can be extended to support additional safety applications without compromising on backward compatibility to other connected vehicle infrastructure systems.
- Mahdi Ali - Hyundai Motor Company
- Masafumi Sakakida - Mazda North American Operations
- Hiroyuki Yoshida - Mazda North American Operations
- Jayendra Parikh - CAMP LLC
- Rawa Adla - Ford Motor Company
- Samer Rajab - Honda R & D Americas Inc
- Roy Goudy - Nissan Technical Center
- Aravind Kailas - Volvo Group
- Jan-Niklas Meier - Volkswagen AG
- Richard Deering - RK Deering & Associates
- Vivek Vijaya Kumar - General Motors LLC
- Richard Williams - Subaru Research & Development Inc.
CitationParikh, J., Kailas, A., Adla, R., Rajab, S. et al., "Development of Wireless Message for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Safety Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0027, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0027.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Parikh , J.S. , Adla R. , Kailas A.
- Brimkov , V.E. and Barneva , R.P. Digital Geometry Algorithms: Theoretical Foundations and Applications to Computational Imaging Springer Science & Business Media 2012
- Michigan Department of Transportation http://mdotcf.state.mi.us/public/design/files/englishstandardplans/files/standard_plan_book.pdf 2015
- Noon , R. Engineering Analysis of Vehicular Accidents Boca Raton CRC Press 1994