This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Vehicle Experimental Tests to Evaluate the Performance of Alternator Pulleys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle alternator pulleys with one-way-clutch and vibration attenuation mechanisms have recently been adopted in modern vehicles in order to reduce or mitigate undesirable side effects of torsional vibrations generated by Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) during its normal operation. It is noticeable how excessive vibration can be particularly detrimental to the components of the Front-End Accessory Drive (FEAD) system. Increase of inertia forces due to the use of larger alternators along with the increase in torsional vibration amplitudes of downsized engines added up with lower idling speeds to reduce emissions have set a challenge for proper FEAD functioning and validation. In order to validate potential design solutions, in-vehicle experimental tests are an important approach. How to define an adequate test plan, execute test cycles and post-process bulk experimental data to assure proper assessment of alternator pulley alternatives is a key factor of success. Proper parameter selection and measurement procedure during operating conditions of the vehicle should be carefully stablished. An experimental procedure to evaluate potential vibration attenuation of each alternator pulley technology by checking transverse displacement of the drive belt and transmission error and other FEAD performance based on post-processing of rotational speed data is proposed herein. In addition, selection and development of custom fitted sensors for FEAD evaluation have also been an outcome of the research, due to packaging space constraints and sample rate required to capture the dynamic events during vehicle operation. The results obtained allow a comprehensive functional analysis of different types of alternator pulleys and its impact in overall system performance, defining an in-vehicle experimental method that can be applied to confirm design alternatives during FEAD development and validation phases.
CitationMichelotti, A., Pastorelli, P., Ferreira, A., Berto, L. et al., "In-Vehicle Experimental Tests to Evaluate the Performance of Alternator Pulleys," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0433, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0433.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Leamy , M.J. ; Perkins , N.C. Nonlinear periodic response of engine accessory drives with dry friction tensioners Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 909 915 ASME 1998
- Sato , K. , Mikuriya , I. Compact Clutch Integrated Pulley for Alternators NTN Technical Review nr. 75 2007 http://www.ntn.co.jp/english/products/review/pdf/NTN#x005f;TR75_en_P124.pdf
- Goodyear, OAD - Overrunning Alternator Decoupler February 2013
- Johnston , P. R. , Shusto , L. M. 1987 Analysis of Diesel engine crankshaft torsional vibrations SAE Special Publications 21 26
- Hestermann , D. C. , Stone , B. J. Secondary inertia effects in the torsional vibration of reciprocating engines Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 11 15 1994
- Michelotti , A.C. et al. Functional Testing of Alternator Pulleys in Chassis Dynamometer SAE Technical paper nr. 2013-36-0124 2013
- Haka , R. , Michnay , R. Roller Skewing as a Factor in One Way Clutch Operation SAE International Paper nr. 840576 1984
- Michelotti , A.C. Inventor. ZEN S/A Industria Metalurgica, Assignee. Decoupler with free wheel system and vibration damping and one-way clutch with free wheel system US Patent nr 9,605,743 B2 Mar. 28 2017
- Michelotti , A. et al Future Trends in the Conceptual Design of Alternator Pulleys SAE paper 2012-36-0226 10.4271/2012-36-0226 SAE International 2012
- Manin , L. , Michon , G. , Remond , D. , Dufour , R. From transmission error measurement to Pulley-Belt slip determination in serpentine belt drives : influence of tensioner and belt characteristics Mechanism and Machine Theory 2009 44 4 813 821 0094-114X
- Rodriguez , J. , Keribar , R. , Wang , J. A Comprehensive and Efficient Model of Belt-Drive Systems SAE Technical paper nr. 2010-01-1058 SAE International 2010