This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Integration, Gear Material and Heat Treatment Effects on Rear Axle Whining Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 7, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will focus whining noise on rear axles applied in mid-size trucks.
Vehicle integration changes during development affect directly the gear noise perception, in which it may be intensified.
Also, gear material and heat treatment choices for the rear axle need to be done carefully, taking into consideration the integration changes and also the driver usage.
A lessons learned collection over the diverse aspects of a rear axle whining noise will be the basis of this paper.
CitationPinho, A., Neto, D., Ballardie, G., and Martinez, R., "Vehicle Integration, Gear Material and Heat Treatment Effects on Rear Axle Whining Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0129, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0129.
- Pinho, Alexandre, “Driveline NVH mitigations in mid-size trucks - enablers evaluation through practical measurements”, SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0522, 2016.
- Kolekar, Anant Shivaji, “Lubrication & Efficiency of Rear Wheel Drive Axles in Road Vehicles”, Dissertation, Imperial College. June, 2013.
- BD Auto Pro. “Do I Have a Bad Wheel Bearing?”. Blue Devil Products Blog. September 23, 2014. Accessed May, 29, 2017. https://gobdp.com/blog/bad-wheel-bearing/
- Rontu, Jesse, “Drive Line Analysis for Tooth Contact Optimization of High Power Spiral Bevel Gears”, AGMA Technical Paper 10FTM15, 2010.
- National Broach & Machine Mt, Clemens, Michigan, “Material Selection and Heat Treatment”, Gear Technology Magazine, Published National Broach and Machine Division of Lear Siegler. lnc., pages 40-46, July/August 1985.
- Broglie, Michael J., “Gear Hardness Technology”, Gear Technology Magazine, pages 28-38, March/April 1992.
- Kononias, G., “Axle whine phenomenon in light trucks: a combined numerical and experimental investigation”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 225 (D7), pp.885-894, 2011.
- Niola V., Avagliano V., Quaremba G., “The Gear Whine Noise”, Department of Mechanics and Energetics University of Naples “Federico II” Via Claudio 21, 80125, Napoli, ITALY. Accessed May, 29, 2017. http://www.wseas.us/e-library/conferences/2011/Corfu/GEMESED/GEMESED-79.pdf
- Houser Donald R., “Determining the Source of Gear Whine Noise”, February 01, 2004. Relating gear pairs to manufacturing errors may lead to better designs for mated gears. Accessed May, 29, 2017. http://www.gearsolutions.com/article/detail/5688/determining-the-source-of-gear-whine-noise