This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Inflation Pressure of a Tire on Rolling Resistance and Fuel Consumption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Resistive forces are a great source of fuel consumption in vehicles. In particular, rolling resistance represent the major resistance force at low speeds. It is highly influenced by the inflation pressure of the tire and vertical load over it. In the present work, a computer model is created with the objective of investigating the influence of tire inflation pressure on fuel consumption and rolling resistance force. Pressure is varied and parameters analyzed at different vehicle speeds for two different calculation methods. Results show significant decrease in fuel consumption and rolling resistance force as inflation pressure is augmented.
CitationThiriet, A., Pujatti, F., and Araújo, P., "Influence of Inflation Pressure of a Tire on Rolling Resistance and Fuel Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0095, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0095.
- Andersen , Lasse G , Larsen Jesper K , Fraser Elsje S , Bjarne Schmidt , and Dyre Jeppe C Rolling Resistance Measurement and Model Development Journal of Transportation Engineering 141 2 2014
- Michelin, Société de Technologie The Tyre: Rolling Resistance and Fuel Savings Clermont-Ferrand Société de Technologie Michelin 2003
- Gillespie , Thomas D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1992
- Wallentowitz , Henning Longitudinal Dynamics of Vehicles 4th Aachen Vervielfältigungsstelle der Hochschule 2004
- Besselink , IJM , Schmeitz AJC , and Pacejka HB An Improved Magic Formula/Swift Tyre Model That Can Handle Inflation Pressure Changes Vehicle System Dynamics 48 S1 2010 337 52
- Pacejka , Hans B. Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics, 2002 Butterworth-Heinemann 7506 5141 2006 5
- Tuononen , Ari J. Laser Triangulation to Measure the Carcass Deflections of a Rolling Tire Measurement Science and Technology 22 12 2011 125 304
- El Tannoury , Charbel , Saïd Moussaoui , Franck Plestan , Nicolas Romani , and Guillermo Pita-Gil Synthesis and Application of Nonlinear Observers for the Estimation of Tire Effective Radius and Rolling Resistance of an Automotive Vehicle IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 21 6 2013 2408 16
- Jazar , Reza N. Vehicle Dynamics: Theory and Application Springer Science & Business Media 2013