This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fully Automated Quality Control of Cylinder Bores from Internal Combustion Engines and Its Implications for Industry 4.0
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Internet has transformed all industries and the automotive sector is on its list. It is true that manufacturing has experienced great advances in recent years, but the massive use of internet in industry is about to revolutionize it once again. The Internet of Things (IoT), the Big Data Analytics and the use of RFID technology will revolutionize manufacturing, giving to the so called “smart factories” the ability for self-diagnosis, self-configuration and self-optimization. That is what we call Industry 4.0, or the fourth industrial revolution. However, how will Industry 4.0 affect automakers and end users of vehicles? What are the challenges to bring Industry 4.0 innovations to the manufacturing industry? The present work discusses future trends in engine manufacturing, focusing on the quality control of its main components. Also, a fully automated inspection technique for quality control of cylinder bores from internal combustion engines is presented. The proposed method, which is based upon topography decomposition and multiscale analysis, was used to compare two honing variants. The results show that standardized roughness parameters are not enough to properly evaluate honed surfaces. Finally, this work shows that the proposed methodology for characterization of honed surfaces can not only increase quality and reliability of engine components, but can also allow more significant advances in engine optimization. Thereby, the described method can support automakers to attend the demands of increasingly stringent markets.
|Technical Paper||Aluminum Die-Cast Cylinder Blocks in Outboard Motors|
|Magazine Issue||Automotive Engineering: March 3, 2016|
|Technical Paper||Learning Gasoline Direct Injector Dynamics Using Artificial Neural Networks|
CitationObara, R. and Guedes, L., "Fully Automated Quality Control of Cylinder Bores from Internal Combustion Engines and Its Implications for Industry 4.0," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0082, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0082.
- Werbach K. Digital Tornado: The Internet and Telecommunications Policy. Washington: Federal Communications Commission; 1997.
- Kammer S. Ist Innovation = Digitale Transformation? 2016 [Available from: http://blog.zuehlke.com/ist-innovation-digitale-transformation/].
- Kagermann H, Helbig J, Hellinger A, Wahlster W. Recommendations for implementing the strategic initiative INDUSTRIE 4.0: Securing the future of German manufacturing industry; final report of the Industrie 4.0 Working Group: Forschungsunion; 2013.
- MacDougall W. Industrie 4.0: Smart Manufacturing for the Future: Germany Trade & Invest; 2014.
- Lorenz M, Rüβmann M, Strack R, Lueth KL, Bolle M. Man and machine in industry 4.0: How will technology transform the industrial workforce through 2025? The Boston Consulting Group; 2015.
- Michalski J, Wos P. The effect of cylinder liner surface topography on abrasive wear of piston-cylinder assembly in combustion engine. Wear. 2011; 271(3-4):582-9.
- Patel RA, Niralgikar KH, editors. A Review of Wear in Piston Ring of Internal Combustion Engine. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology; 2015: ESRSA Publications.
- Rahnejat H. Tribology and dynamics of engine and powertrain: Fundamentals, applications and future trends: Elsevier; 2010.
- Goetze A, Guide GH. Rating criteria fort the honing of cylinder running surfaces. Germany; 1988.
- Gomes JO, Carvalho MV, Andrade CLF, Turino CE. Visual identification of surface defects on a CGI honed cylinder. STLE; 2007.
- Lu R-S, Tian GY. On-line measurement of surface roughness by laser light scattering. Measurement Science and Technology. 2006; 17(6):1496-502.
- Obara RB, Sinatora A. Quantification of cylinder bores almost 'zero-wear'. Wear. 2016; 364-365:224-232.
- Dimkovski Z, Baath L, Rosen S, Ohlsson R, Rosen BG. Interference measurements of deposits on cylinder liner surfaces. Wear. 2011; 270(3-4):247-51.
- Obara RB, Faria JOMG, Sinatora A. The effect of oxide and tribofilm formation on the wear of cylinder bores from flex-fuel engines. SAE Technical Paper; 2016. Report No.: 2016-36-0277.
- Dimkovski Z, Anderberg C, Rosen BG, Ohlsson R, Thomas TR. Quantification of the cold worked material inside the deep honing grooves on cylinder liner surfaces and its effect on wear. Wear. 2009; 267(12):2235-42.
- Obara RB, Tomanik E, Souza RM. Folded Metal and Other Surface Parameters on Combustion Engine Cylinders. SAE Technical Paper; 2014. Report No.: 2014-36-0323.
- Obara, RB, Souza, RM, Tomanik, E. Quantification of folded metal in cylinder bores through surface relocation. Wear. 2017; 384-385:142-150.
- Dimkovski Z, Anderberg C, Ohlsson R, Rosén B-G. Characterisation of Cylinder Liner Honing Textures for Production Control. In: Leach R, editor. Characterisation of Areal Surface Texture. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 2013. p. 281-302.
- Mezghani S, Demirci I, Zahouani H, El Mansori M. The effect of groove texture patterns on piston-ring pack friction. Precision Engineering-Journal of the International Societies for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology. 2012; 36(2):210-7.
- Papadopoulos P, Priest M, Rainforth WM. Investigation of fundamental wear mechanisms at the piston ring and cylinder wall interface in internal combustion engines. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part J-Journal of Engineering Tribology. 2007; 221(J3):333-43.
- Sabri L, Mezghani S, El Mansori M, Le Lan J-V. Toward an objective 3D description for quality assessment of manufactured honed surfaces. Transactions of the North American Manufacturing Research Institution of SME. 2009:661-8.
- Radon J. Über die Bestimmung von Funktionen durch ihre Integralwerte längs gewisser Mannigfaltigkeiten. Ber. Verch. Sächs. Akad. Wiss. Leipzig Math. Nat. Kd. 691917. p. 262-77.
- Obara RB. Uso das transformadas de Fourier e Radon na quantificação de folded metal no interior de sulcos de brunimento. Sao Paulo, Brasil; 2013.
- Beyerer J, Leon FP. Detection of defects in groove textures of honed surfaces. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture. 1997; 37(3):371-89.
- Leon FP. Evaluation of honed cylinder bores. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology. 2002; 51(1):503-6.
- Anderberg C, Cabanettes F, Dimkovski Z, Ohlsson R, Rosén B G. Cylinder liners and consequences of improved honing. Proceedings (CD) of the 12th Nordic Simposium in Tribology; Helsingør, Denmark. Helsingør, Denmark; 2006.
- Chen X, Raja J, Simanapalli S. Multiscale analysis of engineering surfaces. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture. 1995; 35(2):231-8.
- Lee SH, Zahouani H, Caterini R, Mathia TG. Morphological characterisation of engineered surfaces by wavelet transform. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture. 1998; 38(5-6):581-9.
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2013 [press release]. 2013 October 9.
- ISO 25178-2:2012. Geometrical product specifications (GPS) - Surface texture: Areal - Part 2: Terms, definitions and surface texture parameters. Geneva, Switzerland; 2012.
- Demirci I, Mezghani S, Yousfi M, Zahouani H, El Mansori M. The scale effect of roughness on hydrodynamic contact friction. Tribology Transactions. 2012; 55:705-12.
- Leighton M, Rahmani R, Rahnejat H. Surface-specific flow factors for prediction of friction of cross-hatched surfaces. Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties. 2016; 4(2):025002.
- Mainsah E, Chetwynd D. Metrology and properties of engineering surfaces: Springer Science & Business Media; 2013.
- Hu S, Brunetiere N, Huang W, Liu X, Wang Y. Continuous separating method for characterizing and reconstructing bi-Gaussian stratified surfaces. Tribology International. 2016; 102:454-62.
- Hesling DM. A study of typical bore finishes and their effect on engine performance. Lubrication Eng. 1964; 7(3):311.
- Malcolm GN. Diesel Engine Tribology. Modern Tribology Handbook, Two Volume Set. Mechanics & Materials Science: CRC Press; 2000.