This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detailed Investigation on the Effects of Medium and High Voltage Power Cables in Direct Contact with Vehicles and Passengers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 22, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We have seen recently in Brazil a significant number of medium and high voltage power cables falling on vehicles causing catastrophic accidents leading to serious injuries and deceases. It is advised that the car works as a shield so passengers inside the vehicle should not open doors and windows, but to the knowledge of the authors no work has presented a quantified study showing details like electromagnetic field intensity and 3D plots to really illustrate this situation. This work uses numerical simulation to replicate a scenario of a high power cable in direct contact with a vehicle and numerous positions of human body models inside and outside of the vehicle. Electromagnetic field is calculated showing the shielding effectiveness of the vehicle chassis. Also, current density are calculated to show the path of the current including the human body models. Safety guidelines are presented based on electromagnetic field strength and several scenarios are simulated and quantified.
CitationMologni, J., Ribas, J., and Siqueira, C., "Detailed Investigation on the Effects of Medium and High Voltage Power Cables in Direct Contact with Vehicles and Passengers," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0045, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0045.
- Dalziel CF Effects of electrical shock on man IRE Trans Med Electron. 1956 44 62 PGME-5
- Dalziel Charles F , Lee W R Reevaluation of lethal electric currents IEEE Trans Indus Gen Appl. 1968 IGA-4 5 467 476 10.1109/TIGA.1968.4180929
- Grimnes S. Dielectric breakdown of human skin in vivo Med Biol Eng Comp. 1983 21 379 81
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Worker deaths by electrocution NIOSH Publication No. 98-131 2009 https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-131/pdfs/98-131.pdf December 26 th 2016
- G1 Cabo de energia cai em cima de carro e mata quatro pessoas no RJ http://g1.globo.com/jornal-hoje/noticia/2016/01/cabo-de-energia-cai-em-cima-de-carro-e-mata-quatro-pessoas-no-rj.html December 26 th 2016
- R7 Cabo de energia cai em cima de carro e mata quatro pessoas no RJ http://noticias.r7.com/sp-no-ar/videos/cabo-de-alta-tensao-cai-sobre-carro-provoca-incendio-e-mata-motorista-26102015 December 26 th 2016
- Scharfetter H. , Brunner P. , Mayer M. , Brandstatter B. and Hinghofer-Szalkay H. Fat and hydration monitoring by abdominal bioimpedance analysis: data interpretation by hierarchical electrical modeling IEEE Trans on Biom Eng 52 6 June 2005 10.1109/TBME.2005.846733
- Jossinet J. , Schmitt M. A review of parameters for the bioelectrical characterization of breast tissue Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 873 30 41 Apr. 1999
- Lowke J.J. Characteristics of Radiation-Dominated Electric Arcs Journal of Applied Physics 41 4 2588 600 May 1970