This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Potential of a Production DI Two-Stroke Engine Adapted for Range Extender and Motorcycle Applications
Published November 05, 2017 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The main purpose of this paper will be to investigate if a small snowmobile gasoline Direct Injected (DI) two-stroke engine has the potential to be adapted for two other types of applications: as a range extender (REX) for electric vehicles and for a motorcycle application.
For the REX application, the main requested specifications (NVH, lightweight, compactness, minimum production cost and easy maintenance), correspond well to the main features of DI 2-stroke engines. The potential of a modified production engine operating in part load ultra-low NOx Controlled Auto Ignition (CAI) to meet the Euro 6 emissions standards on the NEDC cycle has already been demonstrated in a previous paper. In the first part of this new paper, we will investigate which solutions can be used to maintain this potential with even stricter legislations based on Euro 6d, WLTP cycle and Real Driving Emissions (RDE).
In the second part of this paper, the feasibility of using the same production DI 2-stroke base engine for a motorcycle application will be studied. To meet the future Euro 4 and 5 motorcycle emissions standards on the new WMTC driving cycle, new combustion strategies have to be implemented. They are based on the use of CAI at part load and of the control of the air-fuel ratio at higher load combined with a 3-way catalyst aftertreatment technology.
The encouraging results achieved show that such small DI 2-stroke engine could be a very attractive candidate for a low emissions motorcycle application as well as for a range extender application in an electric vehicle.
|Journal Article||Advanced Combustion System Analyses on a 125cc Motorcycle Engine|
|Technical Paper||Economic Analysis of Powertrain Control Technologies|
|Technical Paper||The Effects of Engine Performance and Engine Starts on Series HEV Operation|
CitationDuret, P., Venturi, S., Sciarretta, A., Foxhall, N. et al., "Potential of a Production DI Two-Stroke Engine Adapted for Range Extender and Motorcycle Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0082, 2017.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Winkler F., Oswald R., Schoegl O. and Foxhall N., ‘Characterization of Different Injection Technologies for High Performance Two-Stroke Engines’, SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0001
- Hubmann C., Friedl H., Gruber S. and Foxhall N., ‘Single Cylinder 25kW Range Extender: Development for Lowest Vibrations and Compact Design Based on Existing Production Parts’, SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0740
- Stan C. and Personnaz J.: "Car Hybrid Propulsion Strategy Using an Ultra-Light GDI Two-Stroke Engine”, SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2940
- Bell G., Brewster S. and Ahern S., 'Beyond 3 Star Emission Capability for Outboard Engines', SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0052
- Venturi S., Lavy J., Duret P., Selva M. and Tonta G., 'From Development to Industrialization of an IAPAC Marine Outboard DI 2-Stroke Engine', SETC Conference, Pisa Italy, 2001
- Strauss S., Zeng Y. and Montgomery D., ‘Optimization of the E-TEC Combustion System for Direct-Injected Two-Stroke Engines Toward 3-Star Emissions’, SAE Technical paper 2003-32-0007
- Duret P., “Range extender for electric vehicles and powertrain for ultra-low cost vehicles: a chance for small gasoline DI 2-stroke engines?”, SIA Spark Ignition Conference, Strasbourg, France 2009
- Duret P., “The Small Gasoline DI 2-Stroke Engine: an Adapted Range Extender for Electric Vehicles?”, Keynote paper, SIAT 2011 Symposium, Pune India
- Galienne F., Lemoine S. and Miguel Sanchez A.: "Modelisation et adaptation d’un moteur 2 temps pour un véhicule urbain hybride", IFP School students project report, June 2013.
- Laniar I., Le Bihan T. and Piraud Q.: “Design of supervisory control for a parallel hybrid”, IFP School students project report, June 2013.
- Duret P., Venturi S. and Dewangan P., “Small Gasoline Direct Fuel Injection Two-Stroke Engines for Range Extender Applications”, SIA Powertrain International Conference & Exhibition, Versailles, France 2015
- Duret P., "Two-stroke CAI engines" in Zhao H., "HCCI and CAI engines for the Automotive Industry", Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2007
- Onishi S, Jo Souk Hong, Shoda K, Jo Pan Do and Kato S, "Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines", SAE Technical Paper 790501
- Tsuchiya K, Hirano S, Okamura M, and Gotoh T, “Emission Control of Two-Stroke Motorcycle Engines by the Butterfly Exhaust Valve”, SAE Technical Paper 800973
- Duret P., Moreau J-F., "Reduction of Pollutant Emissions of the IAPAC Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection", SAE Technical Paper 900801
- Duret P., Venturi S. and Carey C., "The IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Automotive Two-Stroke Combustion Process" in Duret P, A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future ? - Rueil-Malmaison, France, Editions Technip 1993
- Duret P. and Venturi S., "Automotive Calibration of the IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Two-Stroke Combustion Process" SAE Technical Paper 960363,
- Duret P. et al. "The Air Assisted Direct Injection ELEVATE Automotive Engine Combustion System", SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1899
- Harb W., Lemarie P., Leuret A. & Zahonero E. : “DI 2-stroke engine as a range extender for Euro 6d urban sport vehicle”, IFP School students project report, June 2016.
- Journal officiel de l'Union européenne - Règlement N°83
- Ishibashi Y and Tsushima Y, 'A Trial for Stabilizing Combustion in Two-Stroke Engines at Part Throttle Operation”, in Duret P, A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?, IFP International Seminar, Rueil-Malmaison, Editions Technip, 1993
- Ishibashi Y, Nishida K and Asai M, 'Activated Radical Combustion in High Speed High Power Pneumatic Direct Injection Two Stroke Engine', in Duret P, A New Generation of Engine Combustion Processes for the Future?, IFP International Seminar, Rueil-Malmaison, France, Editions Technip, 2001
- Ishibashi Y., Experimental Studies on the Auto-Ignition Combustion for the Petrol Engines’, SAE HCCI Symposium, Lund, Sweden, September 2005
- Official Journal of the European Union - Regulation N°168/2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles.
- Official Journal of the European Union - Regulation N°134/2014 supplementing Regulation N°168/2013 with regard to environmental and propulsion unit performance requirements.
- RS de Camargo B., Goux Z., Moreno Y. & Suillaud E. : “Adaptation of a snowmobile 2-stroke engine for a motorcycle application”, IFP School students project report, June 2016.
- Worldwide harmonized Motorcycle emissions Certification/Test procedure (WMTC) - June 2011 updated version of the WMTC gear selection sheets : http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29wgs/wp29grpe/wmtc.html
- Duret P., Ecomard A., Audinet M., "A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications", SAE Technical Paper 880176
- Hata N., Iio T., ‘Improvement of Two-Stroke Engine Performance with the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS)’, SAE Technical Paper 810922
- Foxhall N., Hinterberger W., Winkler F., Oswald R., Schögl O;, ‘Potential of Different Injection Systems for High Performance Two-Stroke Engines’, International Workshop on New Direct Injection 2-Stroke Engines, Brunel University (UK), December 4, 2015