This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Performance of Acoustic Metamaterial Structure for Inlet Duct Noise Attenuation
Published November 05, 2017 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
To control noise emission from internal combustion inlet, designers often choose small chamber type silencers at the inlet. In order to improve the inlet acoustic efficiency, inlet ducts with improved acoustic attenuation can be used. One potentially applicable material is acoustic metamaterial rapidly gaining popularity in different fields of engineering application. Small engine inlet duct, designed by using acoustic metamaterial structure comprising an array of resonators inside the wall of a rigid duct is investigated in this study. Experimental investigation of different designs is performed to characterize the acoustic behavior in terms of transmission loss (TL). By connecting multiple resonators of different size and location it is shown that a broadband TL can be achieved. The resulted attenuation band can be tuned by varying the resonator physical characteristics, showing promising potentials such of the material in the described application.
CitationLavrentjev, J. and Rämmal, H., "Design and Performance of Acoustic Metamaterial Structure for Inlet Duct Noise Attenuation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0066, 2017.
- Munjal ML Acoustics of ducts and muffers New York Wiley 1987
- Allam S , Abom M A New Type of Muffler Based on Microperforated Tubes Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 133 3 2011
- Kabral R , Rämmal H , Lavrentjev J Acoustic Studies of Micro-Perforates for Small Engine Silencers SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0107 2012
- Auriemma , F. , Rammal , H. , and Lavrentjev , J. Micro-Grooved Elements - A Novel Solution for Noise Control SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 6 3 599 610 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1941
- Ingard U. On the theory and design of acoustic resonators J Acoust Soc Am. 25 1037 61 1953
- Seo SH , Kim YH Silencer design by using array resonators for low-frequency band noise reduction J Acoust Soc Am. 118 4 2332 8 2005
- Wang X , Mak CM Wave propagation in a duct with a periodic Helmholtz resonator array J Acoust Soc Am. 131 2 1172 82 2012
- Cai C , Mak CM Noise control zone for a periodic ducted Helmholtz resonator system J Acoust Soc Am. 140 6 EL471 7 2016
- Coulon JM , Atalla N , Derochers A Optimization of concentric array resonators for wide band noise reduction Appl Acoust. 113 109 15 2016
- Lavrentjev J , Rämmal H On Experimental Techniques to Determine Acoustic Performance of Small Exhaust Silencers SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0015 2009
- Kabral , R. , Rämmal , H. , Lavrentjev , J. , and Auriemma , F. Acoustic Studies on Small Engine Silencer Elements SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0514 2011
- Karjust K. , Pohlak M. , Majak J. Adhesion measuring method optimization in reinforced composites Proceedings of the International Conference of DAAAM Baltic "Industrial Engineering" 2012 633 8
- Aruniit A. Kers J. , Goljandin D. , Saarna M. , Tall K. Majak J. , Herranen H. Particulate filled composite plastic materials from recycled glass fibre reinforced plastics Medziagotyra 2011 17 3 276 81