This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Nano TiO2 Particles on the Properties and Behaviour of A356 Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In this study, the TiO2 nano particles are incorporated with A356 aluminium to form a Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) to be utilized in aerospace, marine, military and automotive applications. Stir casting method was used for producing the metal matrix composites. A356 aluminium was reinforced with various weight percentage (wt%) of TiO2 under 10 minutes holding time and 450 rpm stirring speed. Mechanical properties such as tensile strength and hardness of the Metal Matrix Composite were tested. Using Scanning electron microscope the surface morphology and composition of the manufactured specimens were studied. Energy dispersive spectroscopic analysis was carried out to study the elemental composition of the MMC. The mechanical tests reveal that there is a significant enhancement in the properties of the composites with 1.5 wt% of TiO2.
CitationPaulraj, D., Abdul Majeed, S., and Rajendran, R., "Influence of Nano TiO2 Particles on the Properties and Behaviour of A356 Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites," SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1986, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-28-1986.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Hossein Abdizadeh, Reza Ebrahimifard and Baghchesara Mohammed Amin, “Investigation of microstructure and mechanical properties of nano-MgO reinforced Al composites manufactured by stir casting and powder metallurgy methods: A comparative study”,. Composites Part B: Engineering, Volume 56, January 2014, pp. 217-221.
- Jokhio Muhammed Hayat, Panhwar Muhammed Ibrahim and Unar Mukhtiar Ali, “Manufacturing of Aluminium Composite Material Using Stir Casting Process”, Research Journal of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, DOI 10.2010, Vol. 30 No.1.
- Sable Amol D. and Deshmukh S. D., “Preparation of Metal- Matrix Composite by Stir- Casting Method”, IJMET, Vol.3, Issue 3, Dec-2012, pp.404-411.
- Sozhamannan G.G., Balasivananadha Prabhu S., Venkatagalapathy V.S.K., “Effect of Processing Parameters on Metal Matrix Composite: Stir Casting Process”, Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advances Technology, 2012, 2, pp.11-15.
- El-Mahallawi, I.S. and Shash, A.Y., “Mechanical Properties and Wear Resistance of Semisolid Cast Al2O3 Nano Reinforced Hypo and Hyper-eutectic Al-Si Composites”. In Properties and Characterization of Modern Materials (pp. 13-30). Springer Singapore. 2017.
- El-Mahallawi, I.S. and Shash, A.Y., “Options for nanoreinforced cast Al-Si Alloys with TiO2 nano particles”, Modern Materials Advanced Structured Materials Vol: 33, 1-12, 2017.
- Manoj Singala, Dwivedi D. Deepak, Lakhvr Singh and Vikas Chawla, “Development of Aluminium Based Silicon Carbide Particulate Metal Matrix Composite”, Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, 2009, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp 455-467.
- Mahallawi EI. Shash Y., Rashad R.M., Abdelaziz M.H., Mayer J., Schwedt A., “Hardness and wear beheviour of semisolid cast A390 Alloy reinforced with Al2O3 and TiO2 nano particles”, Arab J Sci. Eng. (2014) 39: Issue 6, pp. 5171-5184.
- Rasidhar L., Krishna A. Rama, Srinivas Rao CH., and “Fabrication and investigation on properties of Ilmenite (FeTiO3) based Al-Nanocomposite by stir casting process International Journal of Bio-Science and Bio-Technology (2013) 5(4): 193-199.
- Ali Mazahery, Shabani Mohsen Ostad, “Characterization of cast A356 alloy reinforced with nano-SiC composites”. Transaction of Nonferrous Metals society of China, (2012) 22: Issue 2, pp.275