This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on the Effect of Thermal Barrier Coating on Cylinder Head of a Semi-Adiabatic Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The process of building the engine and its subsequent systems involves usage of metals & its compounds. The current technique is in which the fuel is burned in a combustion chamber wherein the actual combustion progression and its subsequent gases are surrounded by metallic compounds. The part of the heat energy generated in the system is forced to be removed by means of cooling to protect the structural integrity of the engine; nearly 30% of the energy is lost due to cooling. However limitation in structural behavior of metallic materials and limited resource for the production of metals and alloys with superior high temperature structural causes the search for new alternate materials like ceramics, organic synthetic plastic, etc. Thermal Barrier Coating is an attractive and promising method in providing thermal insulation for the engine components due to its good thermo-mechanical properties. Thermal insulation reduces the heat transfer from combustion chamber to the metallic materials thereby reducing the need for cooling and heat energy loss due to the same.
This research has been executed on three cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine to understand the effect of the ceramic compound coating Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia, on engine performance and emission characteristics. This investigation compares the performance & emission characteristics of two different configurations namely, Engine Build I (Baseline Engine) and Engine Build II (Ceramic coated on cylinder head (incl. valves) of the Engine). Experimental investigations have been carried out under different loading conditions where all the Engine Builds (I & II) are tested in an engine test bed for its performance and emission characteristics as per ISO 8178-4 ‘‘C1’’ 8 mode testing cycle and the test results are evaluated. Test results revels, that Ceramic coating on Cylinder head produce a reduction in fuel consumption, delivers higher performance and better emission characteristics.
CitationJerome, S. and Sundararaj, S., "Experimental Study on the Effect of Thermal Barrier Coating on Cylinder Head of a Semi-Adiabatic Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1978, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-28-1978.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Kamo , R. , Bryzik , W. , Reid , M. , and Woods , M. Coatings for Improving Engine Performance SAE Technical Paper 970204 1997 10.4271/970204
- Kamo Roy , Bryzik Walter and Reid Michael Emission characteristics of a turbocharged multi- cylinder miller cycle diesel engine Fischer Tropsch Paper No 970799
- Chan and Khor The Effect of Thermal Barrier Coated Piston Crown on Engine Characteristics Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 9 103 109 1999
- Jaichandar , S. and Tamilporai , P. Low Heat Rejection Engines - An Overview SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0405 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0405
- Gell Maurice , Xie Liangde , Xinquing , Jordan Eric H. and Padture Nitin P. Highly Durable Thermal Barrier Coating by the Solution Precursor Plasma Spray Process Surface and Coating Technology 97 102 177 178 2004
- Buyukkaya Ekrem , Engin Tahsin and Cerit Muhammet Effects of Thermal Barrier Coating on gad emission and performance of a LHR engine with different injection timings and valve adjustment ELSVIER 47 1298 1310 2006
- Taymaz Imdat The Effect of Thermal Barrier Coating on Diesel Engine Performance ELSEVIER Surface & Coating Technology 201 5249 5252 2006
- Murthy , Murali Krishna , Raju Sitarama , Prasad Vara and Sirnivasulu Performance Evaluation of Low Heat Rejection Diesel Engine with Pure Diesel International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 01 03 428 451 2010
- Hejwowski Tadeusz Comparative “Study of Thermal Barrier Coating for Internal Combustion Engines Vacuum 85 2010 610 616
- Shrirao , Pawar Evaluation of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Mullite as Thermal Barrier Coating International Journal of Engineering and Technology 3 256 262 2011
- Lavigne , Bacos , Dorvaux , Landais , Mévrel , Poulain , Rio and Vidal-Sétif Advanced Thermal Barrier Coatings Journal Aero Space Lab AL03-04 3 2011
- Siva Kumar , Maheswar , Reddy Vijaya Kumar and Reddy Sridhara Investigation on Performance and Exhaust Emissions for Different Compression Ratios of Low Heat Rejection Extended Expansion Engine International Journal Of Advanced Engineering Sciences And Technologies 11 1 132 137 2011
- Clarke David , Oechsner Matthias , and Padture Nitin Thermal-barrier coatings for more efficient gas-turbine engines Materials Research Society 37 891 941 2012
- Al-Namie Ibtihal , Mashkour Mahmoud A. and Hameed Ahmed Sabah Study the Effect of Ceramic Coating on the Performance and Emissions of Diesel Engine Journal of Engineering 18 935 942 2012
- Sivakumar. G and Senthil Kumar. S Investigation on effect of Yittria Stabilized Zirconia coated piston crown on Performance and emission characteristics of Diesel engine Alexandria Engineering Journal 53 4 787 784 2014
- Ganesan V. 2006 Internal Combustion Engines McGraw-Hill Publications
- Heywood John B 1988 Fundamentals of IC Engine McGraw-Hill Publications