This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Management and Sensitivity Study of Air Cooled SMPM Motor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
High temperatures in the surface mounted permanent magnet (SMPM) synchronous motor adversely affect the power output at the motor shaft. Temperature rise may lead to winding insulation failure, permanent demagnetization of magnets and encoder electronics failure. Prediction and management of temperatures at different locations in the motor should be done right at the design stage to avoid such failures in the motor. The present work is focused on the creation of Lumped Parameter Thermal Network (LPTN) and CFD models of SMPM synchronous motor to predict the temperature distribution in the motor parts. LPTN models were created in Motor-CAD and Simulink which are suitable for parameter sensitivity analysis and getting quick results. Air is assumed to be a cooling medium to extract heat from the outer surface of motor. CFD models were useful in providing elaborate temperature distribution and also locating the hot-spots. Correlation models by both the methods, viz. LPTN and CFD, were generated. The effect of changing the motor orientation, magnitude of air inlet velocity, direction of air-flow and the effect of axial fins on motor housing, on the temperature of motor parts was investigated using the correlated CFD model. The increase in inlet velocity and provision of axial fins substantially improves the cooling. Further, the sensitivity analysis was done considering a perfect fit between the motor parts and then increasing the interface gap values. It is noticed that with increase in the interface gap between stator lamination and housing the winding hotspots are developed.
CitationAgrawal, B., Varma, M., and Sewatkar, C., "Thermal Management and Sensitivity Study of Air Cooled SMPM Motor," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0237, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0237.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Agrawal , B. , Shoemaker , J. , HK , S. , and Kulkarni , P. Electric Machine Thermal Simulation using 1D Network SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2829 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2829
- Funieru B. , Binder A. Thermal Design of a Permanent Magnet Motor used for Gearless Railway Traction 34th Annual Industrial Electronics Conference of IEEE (IECON 2008) 2061 2066 November 2008
- JinXin , F. , Cheng Ning , Z. , Zhifu , W. , & Strangas , E. G. Thermal Analysis of Water Cooled Surface Mount Permanent Magnet Electric Motor for Electric Vehicle IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS) 1024 1028 October 2010
- Marignetti , F , and Delli Colli , V. Thermal analysis of an axial flux permanent-magnet synchronous machine IEEE transactions on magnetics 45 7 2009 2970 2975
- Ponomarev , P. , Polikarpova , M. and Pyrhönen , J. Conjugated fluid-solid heat transfer modeling of a directly-oil-cooled PMSM using CFD In Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM), 2012 International Symposium on 141 145 IEEE 2012
- Ponomarev , P. , Polikarpova , M. and Pyrhönen , J. Thermal Modeling of Directly-Oil-Cooled Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine XX International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM) 1882 1887 September 2012
- Nollau , A. , and Gerling , D. A New Cooling Approach for Traction Motors in Hybrid Drives IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC) 456 461 May 2013
- Tosetti , M. , Maggiore , P. , Cavagnino , A. , & Vaschetto , S. Conjugate heat transfer analysis of integrated brushless generators for more electric engines In 2013 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition 1518 1525 IEEE 2013
- Guo , B. Investigation of the heat transfer coefficient on the fins for total enclosed fan cooled permanent-magnet motor In Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 2014 17th International Conference on 3264 3267 IEEE 2014
- Maley , K. Best Practices: Volume Meshing STAR South East Asian Conference 2012
- Rastgou , H. , and Saedodin , S. Numerical simulation of an axisymmetric separated and reattached flow over a longitudinal blunt circular cylinder Journal of Fluids and Structures 42 2013 13 24
- Davis , P. L. , Rinehimer , A. T. , & Uddin , M. A comparison of RANS-based turbulence modeling for flow over a wall-mounted square cylinder In 20th Annual Conference of the CFD Society of Canada Canmore, AL, Canada May 9 12 2012
- Saha , S. , Saha , G. , Ali , M. and Islam , M.Q. Combined free and forced convection inside a two-dimensional multiple ventilated rectangular enclosure ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 1 3 2006 23 35