This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a P3 5-Speed Hybrid AMT
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The necessity of hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles is well known by now for reasons like fossil fuel depletion, climate change, emission norms mandated by regulations etc. With the addition of electric motor, battery and associated power electronics, the cost of powertrain and hence the vehicle goes up, which is often a hindrance for OEMs and end-customers. With the objective to make a cost-effective strong hybrid, Tata Motors has approached this problem by taking economies of scale approach i.e. developing an add-on gearbox module, which can fit a family of cars, in a P3-off axis hybrid configuration to an electrically actuated AMT. This paper presents the preliminary simulations, which show this architecture yielding a reduction of fuel consumption by ~20% for a B-class sedan/compact SUV of ~1800kg and ~15% improvement in acceleration performance. Additionally, the design and packaging studies show the fitment possibility in a highly congested powertrain bay.
CitationPrajapati, G., Chachra, D., Koona, R., Warule, P. et al., "Development of a P3 5-Speed Hybrid AMT," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0090, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0090.
- Committee on the Assessment of Technologies for Improving Fuel Economy of Light-Duty Vehicles, Phase 2 Cost, Effectiveness, And Deployment of Fuel Economy Technologies for Light-Duty Vehicles Board on Energy and Environmental Systems; Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences; National Research Council
- Chachra , D. and Seth , B. Design and Fabrication of Programmable Transmission system for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle M.Tech Thesis Indian Institute of Technology Bombay 2004
- Helmers , E. , and Marx , p. Electric Cars: technical characteristics and environmental impacts Environmental Sciences Europe 2012 24 14
- Mallick , K. How green are Electric Vehicles? http://www.pluginindia.com/blogs/how-green-are-electric-vehicles 14 Aug 2016
- Prakash , S. and Prasad , S. Calculating Well-to-Wheel efficiency of electric vehicles http://www.pluginindia.com/blogs/calculating-well-to-wheel-efficiency-of-electric-vehicles 14 Aug 2016
- Roy , P. , Motiani , M. , Dewani , P. P. Are we set for Electric cars? Questioning the Environmental Readiness for India Journal Transition Studies Review 22 2 2015
- Results presented by Valeo in private placement as response to RFI
- Debal , P. A Powerful Plug-in Hybrid CVT webinar presented on Automotive Megatrends