This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Redesign of a Radial Turbine Variable Stator Geometry with Optimized Free Space Parameter for Improved Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The Free Space Parameter (FSP) is evaluated as a predictor for the efficiency of a Variable Geometry Turbine (VGT). Experiments show an optimum value at 2 times the vane height. However, the optimum was found to be dependent on the pressure ratio, yielding an optimum closer to 2.5 at pressures of 2 and 2.5 bar. After this validation the FSP of a conventional VGT is evaluated and an attempt is made to improve the efficiency of this turbine using the FSP. A new geometry is proposed which yields more favorable FSP values. Experiments show that at the original design point the efficiency is unchanged. However, at both larger and smaller nozzle area’s the turbine efficiency improves as predicted by the FSP values. A relative efficiency improvement of 3 to 28 % is attained.
CitationEichhorn, R., Boot, M., Smeulders, D., and Cuijpers, M., "Redesign of a Radial Turbine Variable Stator Geometry with Optimized Free Space Parameter for Improved Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0154.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Watson , Neil , and Janota Marian Stefan Turbocharging: The Internal Combustion Engine MacMillan 1982
- Watanabe , I. , Ariga I. , and Mashimo T. Effect of dimensional parameters of impellers on performance characteristics of a radial-inflow turbine Journal for Engineering for Power 93.1 1971 81 102
- Simpson , Alister , Spence Stephen , and Watterson John Numerical and Experimental Study of the Performance Effects of Varying Vaneless Space and Vane Solidity in Radial Inflow Turbine Stators ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2008
- de Rijk , Lex L. et al. Flow Analysis of a Radial-inflow Variable Geometry Turbine Stator Vane Ring using Particle Image Velocimetry Journal of Flow Visualization and Image Processing 19.3 2012
- Tunakov , A. P. 1960 Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh,” (in Russian, “Effect of Radial Clearance on the Operation of a Centripetal Gas Turbine”) Zavedeniy Aviatsionnaya Technika 4 83 92
- Binder , Nicolas , Guyader Sebastien Le , and Carbonneau Xavier Analysis of the variable geometry effect in radial turbines Journal of Turbomachinery 134.4 2012 041017
- Hatami , M. , Cuijpers M. C. M. , and Boot M. D. Experimental optimization of the vanes geometry for a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) using a Design of Experiment (DoE) approach Energy Conversion and Management 106 2015 1057 1070