This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Heat Transfer Effects on a Gasoline Spray Impact against Hot Surfaces: Experimental and Numerical Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines are characterized by complex phenomena involving spray dynamics and possible spray-wall interaction. Control of mixture formation is indeed fundamental to achieve the desired equivalence ratio of the mixture, especially at the spark plug location at the time of ignition. Droplet impact on the piston or liner surfaces has also to be considered, as this may lead to gasoline accumulation in the liquid form as wallfilm. Wallfilms more slowly evaporate than free droplets, thus leading to local enrichment of the charge, hence to a route to diffusive flames, increased unburned hydrocarbons formation and particulate matter emissions at the exhaust. Local heat transfer at the wall obviously changes if a wallfilm is present, and the subtraction of the latent heat of vaporization necessary for secondary phase change is also an issue deserving a special attention. In Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) studies of engine combustion this effect has rarely been taken into account and a constant temperature has been often set as Dirichlet condition for the solution of the in-cylinder turbulent flow even in the presence of impacting sprays.
Present work aims at giving a contribution to the validation of a 3D CFD model for the simulation of the in-cylinder thermo-fluidynamic processes underlying energy conversion. Results of a numerical model accounting for the conductive heat transfer mechanism within the piston are compared with basic experimental measurements carried out to achieve an insight into the dynamics and the impact over walls of multi-hole sprays for GDI applications through combined optical schlieren and Mie scattering techniques.
CitationMontanaro, A., Allocca, L., Rocco, V., Costa, M. et al., "Transient Heat Transfer Effects on a Gasoline Spray Impact against Hot Surfaces: Experimental and Numerical Study," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0107, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0107.
- Lelieveld , J. , Evans , J.S. , Fnais , M. , Giannadaki , D. et al. The contribution of outdoor air pollution sources to premature mortality on a global scale Nature 525 367 371 2015
- Zhao , F. , Harrington , D. , and Lai , M. Automotive Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines Warrendale SAE International 2002 195 222 978-0-7680-0882-1
- Alagumalai Internal combustion engines: Progress and prospects Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 38 561 571 2014
- Ashgriz , N. Ed. Handbook of Atomization and Sprays-Theory and Applications Springer New York 2001
- Moreira , A.L.N. , Moita , A.S. , Panao , M.R. Advances and challenges in explaining fuel spray impingement: how much of single droplet impact research is useful? Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 36 554 580 2010
- Stevens , E. and Steeper , R. Piston Wetting in an Optical DISI Engine: Fuel Films, Pool Fires, and Soot Generation SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1203 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1203
- Drake , M. , Fansler , T. , Solomon , A. , and Szekely , G. Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0547
- Stojkovic , B.D. , Fansler , T.D. , Drake , M.C. , Sick , V. High-speed imaging of OH* and soot temperature and concentration in a stratified-charge direct-injection gasoline engine Proc. Combust Inst. 30 2657 65 2005
- Yu , H. , Liang , X. , Shu , G. , Wang , Y. et al. Experimental investigation on spray-wall impingement characteristics of n-butanol/diesel blended fuels Fuel 182 248 258 2016
- Yu , H. , Liang , X. , Shu , G. , Sun , X. et al. Experimental investigation on wall film ratio of diesel, butanol/diesel, DME/diesel and gasoline/diesel blended fuels during the spray wall impingement process Fuel Processing Technology 156 9 18 2017
- Alkidas , A.C. Combustion Advancements in Gasoline Engines Energy Conversion and Management 48 2751 2761 2007
- Schulz F. , Schmidt J. , Beyrau F. Development of a sensitive experimental set-up for LIF fuel wall film measurements in a pressure vessel Experiments in Fluids 56 98 2015
- Köpple , F. , Jochmann , P. , Kufferath , A. , and Bargende , M. Investigation of the Parameters Influencing the Spray-Wall Interaction in a GDI Engine - Prerequisite for the Prediction of Particulate Emissions by Numerical Simulation SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 911 925 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1089
- Schulz , F. , Schmidt , J. , Kufferath , A. , and Samenfink , W. Gasoline Wall Films and Spray/Wall Interaction Analyzed by Infrared Thermography SAE Int. J. Engines 7 3 1165 1177 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1446
- Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , Costa , M. , Sorge , U. Assessment of a 3D CFD model for GDI spray impact against wall through experiments based on different optical techniques International Journal of Multiphase Flow 84 204 216 2016
- Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , Meccariello , G. , and Lazzaro , M. Schlieren and Mie Scattering Imaging System to Evaluate Liquid and Vapor Contours of a Gasoline Spray Impacting on a Heated Wall SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2473 2015 10.4271/2015-24-2473
- Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , Lazzaro , M. , and Meccariello , G. Impinging Jets of Fuel on a Heated Surface: Effects of Wall Temperature and Injection Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0863 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0863
- Russ J. C. The Image Processing Handbook 1995 Second CRC Press 0-8493-5216-1
- Hanjalic , K. , Popovac , M. , Hadziabdic M. A Robust Near-Wall Elliptic-Relaxation Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Model for CFD International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 25 1047 1051 2004
- Ramos , J.I. Internal Combustion Engine Modelling 1989 Hemisphere Publishing Corporation New York
- Allocca , L. , Lee , S.Y. , Costa , M. , Montanaro , A. et al. Schlieren and Mie Scattering Techniques for the ECN “Spray G” Characterization and 3D CFD Model Validation Proceeding of the 4th Thermacomp Conference Georgia (USA) 180 183 2016
- Allocca , L. , Costa , L. , Sorge , U. CFD optimization for GDI spray model tuning and enhancement of engine performance Advances in Engineering Software 49 43 53 2012
- Kuhnke , D. Spray Wall Interaction Modeling by Dimensionless Data Analysis PhD Thesis Universität Darmstadt 2004
- Tsai , C.F. , Nixon , G. Transient temperature distribution of a multilayer composite wall with effects of internal thermal radiation and conduction Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications 10 95 101 1986