This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Highly Efficient Natural Gas Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The 2020+ CO2 and regulated noxious emission limits will impose drastic technological choices. Even though in 2030 65% of road transportation vehicles will be still powered by internal combustion engines, a progressive increase of hybrids and battery electric vehicles is expected. In parallel, the use of low-carbon alternative fuels, such as natural gas/ biomethane, will play a fundamental role in accelerating the process of de-carbonization of the transportation sector supporting the virtuous circular economy.
Since the nineties FCA has invested in CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) powered vehicles becoming leader with one of the largest related product portfolios in Europe. A progressive improvement of this technology has been always pursued but, facing the next decades, a further improvement of the current CNG powertrain technology is mandatory to achieve even higher efficiency and remove residual gaps versus conventional fuels.
CNG direct injection technology will be a step forward because it can be easily applied on new generation spark ignited engines providing simultaneous benefits in terms of performance (gasoline-like) and engine efficiency (4-6%), particularly in combination with variable valve actuation, advanced boosting, high compression ratio and alternative combustion cycles.
The paper shows a comprehensive overview of this technology evolution, focusing on a related large collaborative project named “GasOn” supported by the EU commission.
CitationFerrera, M., "Highly Efficient Natural Gas Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0059, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0059.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Weber , C. , Kramer , U. , Klein , R. , Hofmann , C. , Berkemeier , O. , Dunstheimer , J. , Baumgarten , H. , Uhlmann , T. , Thewes , M. , Scharf , J. , Ewald , J. CNG-Specific Downsizing - Potentials and Challenges 36. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2015
- Möhring , L. , Andersen , J. CNG Mobility - Scalable, Affordable and Readily Available Solution for Environmental and Climate Challenges 38. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2017
- Ferrera , M. The Natural Gas Choice International Car Training Institute Conference CNG Mobility - Koln 2012
- Ferrera , M. Fiat Group experiences on Natural Gas Vehicles (NGVs) field Moving Ahead 2010 Conference - Columbus (OH)
- Ferrera , M CNG Vehicles: technology, features and portfolio GasTech 2015 Tel Aviv
- Pischinger , S. , Umierski , M. , and Hüchtebrock , B. New CNG Concepts for Passenger Cars: High Torque Engines with Superior Fuel Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2264 2003 10.4271/2003-01-2264
- Baratta , M. , Catania , A. , Pesce , F. Multidimensional Modeling of Natural Gas Jet and Mixture Formation in Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines - Development and Validation of a Virtual Injector Model Journal of Fluids Engineering - ASME May 2011 133
- Fürhapter , A. 2006 Single Cylinder CNG-DI Engine Results NICE Deliverable A3.5 Report
- d'Ambrosio , S. , Spessa , E. , Vassallo , A. , Ferrera , M. et al. Experimental Investigation of Fuel Consumption, Exhaust Emissions and Heat Release of a Small-Displacement Turbocharged CNG Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0049 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0049
- Fürhapter , A. , Certic , M. , Philipp , H. , Rößler , K. , Schüle , H. , Höge , M. Potential of CNG Direct Injection for Passenger Car Propulsion 5th Conference: Gas-Powered Vehicles Berlin 2010
- Kramer , U. , Klein , R. , Hofmann , C. , Stoffels , H. , Berkemeier , O. , Weber , C. Extreme Downsizing of CNG Engines - Opportunities and Challenges 1st International Conference 2014 “Advanced Fuels for Sustainable Mobility” Haus der Technik Nuerburgring
- Rößler , K. , Otto , F. , Preuhs , J.-F. , Farah , P. Direct Injection of Natural Gas for Passenger Cars - Prospects and Challenges 7th IAV Conference: Gas-Powered Vehicles Potsdam 2012
- Ferrera , M. INGAS Project Final Report www.ingas-eu.org 2012
- Bernard , L. , Ferrari , A. , Micelli , D. , Perotto , A. , Rinolfi , R. and Vattaneo , F. Electro-hydraulic Valve Control with MultiAir Technology MTZ Press 12I2009 70 2009
- Husted , H. , Guenter , K. , Schilling , S. , Weber , C. Advance Direct Injection of CNG for Driving Performance with Low CO2 23rd Aachen Colloquium
- Kuensch , Z. , Schlatter , S. , Keskinen , K. , Hulkkonen , T. et al. Experimental Investigation on the Gas Jet Behavior for a Hollow Cone Piezoelectric Injector SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2749 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2749
- Computational Dynamics 2006 STAR-CD v3.26 Methodology Manual
- Müller , F. , Schmitt , M. , Wright , Y. , and Boulouchos , K. Determination of Supersonic Inlet Boundaries for Gaseous Engines Based on Detailed RANS and LES Simulations SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1532 1543 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0004
- Baratta , M. , Catania , A. , Spessa , E. , Herrmann , L. et al. Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Direct Natural-Gas Injection and Mixture Formation in a Stratified-Charge SI Engine with Centrally Mounted Injector SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 607 626 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0975
- Luisi , S. , Doria , V. , Stroppiana , A. , Millo , F. et al. Experimental Investigation on Early and Late Intake Valve Closures for Knock Mitigation through Miller Cycle in a Downsized Turbocharged Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0760 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0760