This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Centrifugal Compressor Speed Lines Extrapolation for Automotive Turbochargers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 04, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Downsizing has nowadays become the more widespread solution to achieve the quest for reaching the fuel consumption incentive. This size reduction goes with turbocharging in order to keep the engine power constant. To reduce the development costs and to meet the ever tightening regulations, car manufacturers rely more and more on computer simulations. Thus developing accurate and predictable turbocharger models functioning on a wide range of engine life cases became a major requirement in industrial projects.
In the current models, compressors and turbines are represented by look-up tables, experimentally measured on a turbocharger test bench, at steady point and high inlet turbine temperature. This method results in limited maps : on the one hand the compressor surge line and on the other hand the flow resistance curve behind the compressor. Mounted on an engine, the turbocharger encounters a wider scale of functioning points. Using only the actual compressor and turbine maps in an engine simulation is sometimes a limiting factor.
For this paper a specific experimental campaign has been performed with different automotive turbochargers on a test bench in order to expand the measured iso-speed lines. On the compressor side, new measurements methodologies are described
- into the choke area, up until a ratio of 0.8,
- beyond the surge line, into the negative mass flow rate.
The results are used to establish semi empirical models of the compressor power in these areas and to study the surge loop amplitude.
CitationGoumy, G., Chesse, P., Perrot, N., and Dubouil, R., "Experimental Study of Centrifugal Compressor Speed Lines Extrapolation for Automotive Turbochargers," SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0005, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0005.
- Cormerais , M. , Hetet , J. , Chesse , P. , and Maiboom , A. Heat Transfer Analysis in a Turbocharger Compressor: Modeling and Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0023 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0023
- Burke , R.D. , Vagg , C.R.M. , Chalet , D. , Chesse , P. Heat transfer in turbocharger turbines under steady, pulsating and transient conditions International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow
- Serrano , J. R. , Olmeda , P. , Tiseira , A. , García-Cuevas , L. M. , and Lefebvre , A. Theoretical and experimental study of mechanical losses in automotives turbochargers Energy 10.1016/j.energy.2013.04.042
- Deligant M. , Podevin P. , Descombes G. Experimental identification of turbocharger mechanical friction losses Energy 10.1016/j.energy.2011.12.049
- Fang Xiande , Dai Qiumin Modeling of turbine mass flow rate performances using the Taylor expansion 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.04.016
- Yu Youhong , Chen Lingen , Sun Fengrui , Wu Chih Neural-network based analysis and prediction of a compressor’s characteristic performance map 10.1016/j.apenergy.2006.04.005
- Leufvén , O. , & Eriksson , L. A surge and choke capable compressor flow model- Validation and extrapolation capability Control Engineering Pratice 2013
- Galindo , J. , Tiseira , A. , Navarro , R. , Tarí , D. et al. Compressor Efficiency Extrapolation for 0D-1D Engine Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0554 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0554
- Payri , F. , Serrano , J. R. , Fajardo , P. , Reyes-Belmonte , M. A. et al A physically based methodology to extrapolate performance maps of radial turbines Energy Conversion and Management 10.1016/j.enconman.2011.11.003
- Scharf J. , Schorn N. , Smiljanovski V. , Uhlman T. et al. Methods for Extended Turbocharger Mapping and Turbocharger Assessment
- Salameh , G. , Chesse , P. , Chalet , D. , and Talon , V. Experimental Study of Automotive Turbocharger Turbine Performance Maps Extrapolation SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1034 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1034
- Watson , N. , Janota , M. S. Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine Macmillan Education Ltd 0-333-24290-4
- Heywood , J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 0-07-100499-8
- Chesse P. , Chalet D. , Tauzia X. Impact of the heat transfer on the performance calculations of automotive turbocharger compressor Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Revue d'IFP Energies nouvelles Institut Français du Pétrole 2011 0